Exosphere (foaled 25 August 2012) is a retired Thoroughbred racehorse trained and bred in Australia. He won the Golden Rose Stakes, a Group one race, and accumulated over a million dollars in winnings. He was known for his large size.
|Foaled||25 August 2012|
|Skyline Stakes (G2)(2015)|
The Run to the Rose (G2)(2015)
Golden Rose (G1)(2015)
Roman Consul Stakes (G2)(2015)
Exosphere had his first race on 1 November 2014 at Rosehill. Despite entering the race as odds-on favourite, he finished last after over-racing in the lead. The vet said he was distressed after the race.
On 14 February 2015, Exosphere won his first race, leading by 4 lengths in the 1000m race at Kembla Grange. A fortnight later, Exosphere won the Group 2 Skyline Stakes at Warwick Farm. The Sydney Morning Herald said he "panelled his rivals. He got back in the field and worked his way to the centre of the track before unleashing a sprint that had the race settled in a matter of strides.
Entering the Golden Slipper as second favourite, Exosphere finished last of a field of 16. A post-race examination by the vet revealed he had been suffering from heart arrhythmia, and was immediately spelled.
After two trials, Exosphere returned in the Group 2 The Run to the Rose in August. Last of a small field of 5 at the turn, Exosphere won easily. Jockey Sam Clipperton, who was covering for the suspended James McDonald, said, "He is a serious horse. Once I got him out to the centre he sprinted really quickly and had them covered."
Two weeks later, Exosphere was "dominant" in the Golden Rose, winning his first Group 1 event by 2 lengths. Trainer John O'Shea said, "He's some colt. Wait until he grows into his frame. He is by this great sire Lonhro and he is in for a great season. A horse like Exosphere has great international appeal and you never know where he is going to end up."
Exosphere's next race was the Roman Consul Stakes. Entering the straight 10 lengths behind the leader, he won by 3 lengths, breaking the race record by over half a second. Exosphere had one more race, where he failed to place, before being spelled.
Returning in February 2016, Exosphere contested the Black Caviar Lightning. With the 1000m race running down the Flemington straight, the field split into two groups, with Exosphere in the slower part of the track. "He jumped left and by the time he looked up and realised the chances had gone to the other side and it was game over. I'd say there was probably a two to four length disparity between the inside and the outside at Flemington yesterday," said O'Shea. Exosphere finished fourth.
After freshening, Exosphere contested the T J Smith Stakes, finishing 9 lengths behind winner Chautauqua. Jockey James Mcdonald noted, "I got him out and he just did nothing." He was subsequently retired to stud, with Godolphn director Henry Plumptre saying, "Exosphere retires with an extraordinary race record. Because of his unusual size and bulk, he had training issues, but he managed to put together a string of outstanding performances He is an exciting stallion of the future. No fee has yet been set, but we expect him to be popular."
- "Exosphere retired to stud". Racing.com.
- Nick Hluchaniuk (28 February 2015). "Warwick Farm Preview including the G1 Chipping Norton Stakes". punters.com.au. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- "Exosphere". punters.com.au. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- Roots, Chris (28 February 2016). "Exosphere surges into Golden Slipper contention with Skyline Stakes success". Sydney Morning Herald. Fairfax. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- Daniel Franklin (21 March 2015). "Vancouver wins sixth Golden Slipper for Gai Waterhouse, second for Tommy Berry". ABC. Retrieved 19 February 2016.
- Chris Roots (29 August 2015). "Sam Clipperton too good on Exosphere in the Run To The Rose". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 19 February 2015.
- Caryl Willimason (12 September 2015). "Tonga smash Samoa 36-4". Punters.com.au. Retrieved 19 February 2016.
- Tom Walter (3 October 2015). "2015 Roman Consul Stakes result – Exosphere brilliant". racenet.com.au. Archived from the original on 25 February 2016. Retrieved 19 February 2016.
- Matthew Toogood. "Exosphere talent prompts Lonhro comparison". Punters.com.au.
- Ben Asgari and Brad Bishop (21 February 2016). "No Newmarket for Exosphere". Racing.com. Retrieved 21 February 2016.
- Pengilly, Adam (2 April 2016). "The Championships 2016: Chautauqua dazzles with blinding win in TJ Smith Stakes". Sydney Morning Herald. Fairfax. Retrieved 15 July 2016.
- "Exosphere". breednet.
- "NEWS: Exosphere filly sets a record for her sire". Darley.
- "Thermosphere gives Exosphere a G1 Golden Slipper runner from his first crop". darley.com.au.