Ewloe (//; Welsh: Ewlo, [ˈɛʊlɔ] (listen)) is a village (and electoral ward) in Flintshire, Wales, contiguous with Hawarden and Buckley and near to Queensferry and Shotton. Situated close to the Flintshire/Cheshire sector of the Wales-England border, Ewloe forms part of Deeside. The A55 expressway passes through the town and its most notable landmark is Ewloe Castle. At the 2001 Census, the population was 4,862 (2,390 males, 2,472 females). Ewloe ceased being a town in its own name with all of the population being listed under Hawarden. The electoral ward remained with a total population taken at the 2011 Census of 5,420.
The Crown and Liver public house, Ewloe
|Population||5,420 (2011 CensusWard)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Ewloe grew rapidly during the late 1990s and early 2000s and is now the home of the internet based Moneysupermarket.com and construction company Redrow. HSBC Bank along with many other firms can be found in Ewloe, who now occupy what used to be the old Alyn and Deeside District Council Office.
The De Vere Group chain of hotels hosts the 'St David's Hotel' just off the A55 road network in Ewloe. The St David's Park housing estate was built in the 1990s and is known as being a prestigious estate popular with young professionals and families respectively. Increasing numbers of new property and the resulted increase to population in Ewloe has led to the opening of a new Co-op supermarket, despite the original Co-op opposite the Ewloe Post Office, in Ewloe, which clearly starts at Wood Lane (see the sign on the corner of Wood Lane and The Hwy, this is the boundary of Ewloe / Hawarden, so the Co-op is 100m inside of Ewloe), still being open.
Local residents have shown opposition to plans for the construction of a "superpub" complex in Ewloe by Marston's plc.However, the council have approved plans to build the superpub in St Davids Park, which then opened in September 2010, but was damaged in an arson attack early morning on 6 February 2011.
At the lowest level of local government, Ewloe is an electoral ward that elects community councillors to Hawarden Community Council. The other three community electoral divisions are Aston, Hawarden and Mancot.
- 2001 Census: Ewloe, Office for National Statistics, retrieved 29 May 2008
- "Ward population 2011". Retrieved 25 May 2015.
- Controversial £3m Flintshire superpub back on Archived 2009-10-16 at the Wayback Machine
- Arson attack on Ewloe super pub
- "Community Council". Hawarden Community Council. Retrieved 22 December 2018.
- The County of Flintshire (Electoral Arrangements) Order 1998. legislation.gov.uk. Statutory Instruments. 1998. Retrieved 21 December 2018.
- Star's old home for sale, BBC News, 12 January 2004, retrieved 3 April 2008
- "Idwal Davies". Former Southport players. Port Online. Retrieved 15 December 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ewloe.|