Everybody in Love
"Everybody in Love" is a song by English boyband JLS from their self-titled debut album (2009). The song was released as a digital download on 1 November 2009, followed by a physical release the following day. The song became the band's second number one single in the UK on 8 November 2009, with a total of 460,000 copies being sold so far in the UK, earning the single a Gold certification. The song was released to U.S. Mainstream Top 40 radio on 23 February 2010, but failed to chart on Billboard Hot 100.
|"Everybody in Love"|
|Single by JLS|
|from the album JLS|
|Released||1 November 2009|
|JLS singles chronology|
United States Single Cover
To date, "Everybody in Love" has garnered mixed to positive reviews. Digital Spy said that: "Groundbreaking it ain't, but Everybody in Love is catchy, feelgood and thoroughly likable. It's also as mushy as the peas at your local chip shop, with the boys issuing this imperative at the start of the song and again towards the end: "Everybody in love, go on put your hands up." If we could listen, type and wave our phone above our head all at the same time, believe us we would be." Popjustice also said "Everybody In Love is so in need of its own 'HRNK' - that international sound effect of the quite good pop tune - that it actually opens with the sound of a rave horn. You cannot say fairer than that."
FemaleFirst stated that the song was "Pretty much what we all expected from this JLS single ‘Everybody in Love’. It follows the idea that if you repeat a catchy chorus 100 times then it will become anthemic-a song to sing along to in a club after a few WKD's". They also stated that "Despite it being uber-predictable, the track works on a surface level and the catchy tune will prove a hit, especially with teenagers, and so in that respect it does the job. It would be nice to hear something a bit less obvious for their next effort".
The video for "Everybody in Love" was shot in August 2009 at Pico House in Los Angeles, and was the bands' first music video to be shot there. The music video was released in the UK in late September 2009. It shows JLS performing to a crowd of people on a purpose built stage, as well as solo shots of the individual members being accompanied by a love interest that they sing to.
- "Everybody In Love" - 3:16
- "Spell It Out" - 3:54
Promotion and performancesEdit
JLS made their first live performance of the song on the results show of The X Factor on 1 November 2009, the day that the single was released for download. They would return later in the series to perform the song at the series' final with Alexandra Burke, where the song was performed as part of a mix with Burke's own #1 single "Bad Boys". The song was also performed on numerous TV shows throughout promotion of the single and the JLS album, including children's TV shows TMi and Blue Peter, daytime shows GMTV and This Morning, plus events such as BBC Switch Live, T4 Stars of 2009 and the annual BBC Children in Need telethon and that year's Christmas edition of Top of the Pops.
The song is traditionally the encore number on their live tours, and after the last chorus ends with a call and response chant between the band and the audience: 'Now everybody say JLS/Now everybody say JLS/Forever, and ever'. The band also performed this song in 2010 at T4 on the Beach and their special for Channel 4's The Album Chart Show, and their ITV1 Christmas special This is JLS, and again in 2011 for The Album Chart Show for the special to promote their 3rd album, Jukebox.
"Everybody in Love" entered the Irish Singles Chart on 5 November 2009 at number 2. The song reached number 1 in the UK Singles Chart on 9 November with over 100,000 copies sold in the first week, before dropping to number 3 on 15 November.
|Europe (European Hot 100 Singles)||4|
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||1|
|UK R&B (Official Charts Company)||1|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||1|
|US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard)||38|
|UK Singles Chart||42|
|UK & Ireland||1 November 2009||Digital download||Epic Records|
|2 November 2009||CD single|
|United States||9 February 2010||Digital download||Jive Records|
|23 February 2010||Mainstream Radio|
- "Second Single Announcement". JLSOfficial.com. 14 August 2009. Retrieved 6 October 2009.
- "JLS - Everybody In Love". Radio Aire. Retrieved 6 October 2009.
- "JLS Confirm Second Single Details". 14 August 2009. Retrieved 6 October 2009.
- "cd singles coming soon - JLS - Everybody in Love". HMV. Retrieved 6 October 2009.
- "JLS oust Cole from top of chart". BBC. 8 November 2009. Retrieved 9 November 2009.
- "JLS and Kylie top charts". Music Week.
- "Top 40/M Future Releases - Mainstream Hit Songs Being Released and Their Release Dates ..." All Access.
- "Interview with Wayne Hector", HitQuarters, 1 February 2010.
- "'Everybody In Love' By JLS". Popjustice. Retrieved 12 October 2009.
- "Blake Review: JLS - Everybody In Love". FemaleFirst. 12 October 2009. Retrieved 12 October 2009.
- "The Irish Charts - All there is to know". irishcharts.ie. Archived from the original on 3 June 2009.
- "JLS knock Cheryl Cole off No.1". Digital Spy.
- "Charts". Billboard.
- "Chart Track: Week 45, 2009". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Official R&B Singles Chart Top 40". Official Charts Company.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "JLS Chart History (Pop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved 10 May 2010.
- "iTunes Store". apple.com.
- "HMV - Music, Films, & Games - HMV.com". HMV.com - home of entertainment.
- "Amazon.com: Everybody In Love: JLS: MP3 Downloads". amazon.com.