Everybody Knows (film)
Everybody Knows (Spanish: Todos lo saben, lit. 'Everyone Knows It') is a 2018 Spanish-language psychological thriller film involving a criminal mystery, written and directed by Iranian filmmaker Asghar Farhadi, and starring Javier Bardem and Penélope Cruz. The film opened the 2018 Cannes Film Festival in competition and was released in Spain on 14 September 2018. It was released in the United States on 8 February 2019.
Theatrical release poster
|Spanish||Todos lo saben|
|Directed by||Asghar Farhadi|
|Written by||Asghar Farhadi|
|Music by||Javier Limón|
|Cinematography||José Luis Alcaine|
|Edited by||Hayedeh Safiyari|
|Distributed by||Focus Features|
|Country||Spain, France, Italy|
|Box office||$18 million|
The story follows Laura (Penélope Cruz), a Spanish woman living in Buenos Aires, who returns with her teenage daughter Irene and young son to her hometown outside Madrid for a family wedding. However, the trip is upset by unexpected criminal events that bring past secrets out into the open.
When Irene is kidnapped and Laura is forced to come up with ransom money without involving the authorities, the whole family becomes part of the investigation.
- Penélope Cruz as Laura
- Javier Bardem as Paco
- Ricardo Darín as Alejandro, Laura’s husband
- Bárbara Lennie as Bea, Paco’s wife
- Inma Cuesta as Ana, Laura's younger sister
- Elvira Mínguez as Mariana, Laura's older sister
- Eduard Fernández as Fernando, Mariana's husband
- Ramón Barea as Antonio, Laura's father
- Sara Sálamo as Rocío, Fernando's and Mariana's daughter
- Carla Campra as Irene, Laura's and Alejandro's daughter
- Roger Casamajor as Joan, Ana's boyfriend
- José Ángel Egido as Jorge, a retired policeman
- Sergio Castellanos as Felipe, Irene's spanish friend
- Jaime Lorente as Luis
- Jordi Bosch
The film had its world premiere at the Cannes Film Festival on 8 May 2018. Shortly after, Focus Features acquired distribution rights to the film in various territories. It also screened at the Toronto International Film Festival on 8 September 2018. It was released in Spain on 14 September 2018. It was released in the United States on 8 February 2019.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 77% based on 113 reviews, and an average rating of 6.2/10. The Critics Consensus says: "Everybody Knows is somewhat less than the sum of its parts despite the efforts of an outstanding cast - and a disappointing step back for writer-director Asghar Farhadi". On the aggregator Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 68 out of 100, based on 16 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
Writing for The A.V. Club, A. A. Dowd gave the film a B rating, saying that "Javier Bardem and Penélope Cruz help break Cannes' opening-night curse". Australian film site This Is Film similarly awarded the film a positive review, with contributing critic Peter Gray stating it was “an absorbing, expertly-crafted thriller that continually holds your emotions at ransom”.
The film was nominated in eight categories at the 33rd Goya Awards: Best Film, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Original Screenplay, Best Editing, and Best Original Song.
- IFP Editorial Staff (22 August 2017). "Asghar Farhadi Starts Shooting Latest Film in Spain". Iran Front Page News. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- "Everybody Knows (2018)". The Numbers. Nash Information Services. Retrieved 9 April 2019.
- "Everybody Knows (2018)". Box Office Mojo. Nash Information Services. Retrieved 3 April 2019.
- Goodfellow, Melanie (22 August 2017). "Asghar Farhadi begins Spanish-language thriller 'Everybody Knows'". Screen Daily. Screen International. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- Keslassy, Elsa (22 August 2017). "Asghar Farhadi Begins Filming 'Everybody Knows' With Javier Bardem, Penelope Cruz in Spain". Variety. Penske Business Media. Retrieved 22 August 2017.
- Orlova-Alvarez, Tamara; Alvarez, Joe (8 May 2018). "Opening Night Of The 71st Cannes Film Festival". Ikon London Magazine. Retrieved 29 September 2018.
- Keslassy, Elsa (5 April 2018). "Asghar Farhadi's 'Everybody Knows' to Open and Compete at Cannes Film Festival". Variety. Penske Business Media. Retrieved 6 April 2018.
- Pederson, Erik (28 September 2018). "'Everybody Knows': Penélope Cruz-Javier Bardem Thriller From Asghar Farhadi Set For February". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 28 September 2018.
- Keslassy, Elsa (4 April 2018). "Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem's 'Everybody Knows' to Open Cannes Film Festival (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 28 September 2018.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (9 May 2018). "Focus Features Buys Cannes Opener 'Everybody Knows'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 28 September 2018.
- Orlova-Alvarez, Tamara; Alvarez, Joe (8 September 2018). "Penelope Cruz, Javier Bardem at Toronto Premiere of Everybody Knows". Ikon London Magazine. Retrieved 29 September 2018.
- "Everybody Knows". Toronto International Film Festival. Retrieved 28 September 2018.
- "'Everybody Knows' to go on screen across Spain on September 14". mehrnews.com. 14 September 2018. Retrieved 14 September 2018.
- "Everybody Knows (Todos lo saben) (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved 6 September 2018.
- "Everybody Knows Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 19 May 2018.
- Dowd, A. A. (7 March 2018). "Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz Help Break Cannes' Opening-Night Curse". The A.V. Club. The Onion. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- "Everybody Knows (Todos lo Saben) | Film Review | This Is Film". This Is Film - Conversations in Film and Pop Culture. 5 March 2019. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Todos los nominados a los Goya 2019". El Mundo. Retrieved 2 February 2019.