Evan John Phillips (born September 11, 1994) is an American professional baseball pitcher in the Baltimore Orioles organization. He has previously played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Atlanta Braves.
Phillips with the Laconia Muskrats in 2013
|Born: September 11, 1994|
|July 3, 2018, for the Atlanta Braves|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2020 season)
|Earned run average||7.50|
Phillips attended Clayton High School in Clayton, North Carolina and was drafted by the Kansas City Royals in the 33rd round of the 2012 Major League Baseball draft, but did not sign and played college baseball at University of North Carolina at Wilmington. He was then drafted by the Atlanta Braves in the 17th round of the 2015 Major League Baseball draft.
Phillips spent his first professional season with the Danville Braves and Rome Braves, going a combined 2-3 with a 2.73 ERA in 29.2 total relief innings pitched. In 2016, he pitched for the Carolina Mudcats and Mississippi Braves, pitching to a combined 8-4 record and 3.02 ERA in 43 relief appearances between both teams, and after the season played in the Arizona Fall League. Phillips played 2017 with Mississippi and the Gwinnett Braves, going a combined 3-4 with a 6.14 ERA in 51.1 total innings pitched, and started 2018 with Gwinnett Stripers.
Phillips was called up by the Atlanta Braves on June 23, 2018. He returned to the Stripers on June 25, without making a major league appearance. He was recalled on July 2 and made his major league debut the next day. In his debut he pitched 2 1⁄3 innings, yielding a home run.
On July 31, 2018, Phillips, Jean Carlos Encarnacion, Brett Cumberland, Bruce Zimmermann and international signing money were traded to the Baltimore Orioles in exchange for Kevin Gausman and Darren O'Day.
- Best, D. Clay (June 12, 2015). "Clayton's Evan Phillips drafted by Atlanta Braves". The News and Observer. Retrieved June 27, 2018.
- "Ex-UNCW Phillips minds his business with Braves". Star News. August 31, 2015. Retrieved June 27, 2018.
- "Evan Phillips Stats, Highlights, Bio - MiLB.com Stats - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved June 22, 2018.
- Marcovitch, Max E. (June 20, 2018). "Phillips enjoying career season in Gwinnett, not dwelling on potential promotion". Atlanta Journal Constitution. Retrieved June 27, 2018.
- Burns, Gabriel (June 24, 2018). "Evan Phillips 'always believed' he'd be major leaguer". Atlanta Journal Constitution. Retrieved June 27, 2018.
- McElhaney, Tori (June 27, 2018). "With Folty activated, Phillips back to Triple-A". MLB.com. Retrieved June 25, 2018.
- Bowman, Mark (July 2, 2018). "Braves call up Phillips, Reed". MLB.com. Retrieved July 5, 2018.
- Bowman, Mark (July 4, 2018). "Newcomb's struggles too much for Braves". MLB.com. Retrieved July 5, 2018.
- Bowman, Mark (July 4, 2018). "Braves recall prospect Gohara, option Phillips". MLB.com. Retrieved July 5, 2018.