European Movement UK
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (December 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The European Movement UK is an independent all-party pressure group in the United Kingdom which campaigns in support of greater European integration and for reform of the European Union. It is part of the European Movement International which pushes for a "democratic, federal, enlarged European Union". It is the most prominent pro-Europe group in Britain.
|Founder||Sir Winston Churchill|
|Headquarters||Millbank Tower, 21-24 Millbank, London, England, SW1P 4QP|
Baroness Joyce Quin
|Lord Andrew Adonis|
The President was Lord Paddy Ashdown until his death in December 2018. Former Deputy Prime Minister Michael Heseltine was appointed as President in May 2019. and the current chairman (since December 2016) is Stephen Dorrell. The organisation promotes a "more democratic, effective and accountable" EU. It opposes Brexit.
The origins of the European Movement lie in the aftermath of the Second World War. More than eight hundred delegates from across Europe gathered at the First Congress of Europe in The Hague in May 1948, under the chairmanship of Sir Winston Churchill, to create a new international movement to promote European unity and prevent further wars between its European countries. The British section of the European Movement was founded a year later. It was also supported by Clement Attlee, the British Prime Minister.
The British European Movement, mostly working through its Campaign Group based in Chandos House, London, worked closely with the Conservative Prime Minister Edward Heath in the early 1970s when Heath applied to join the European Union.
In 1997 the British European Movement promoted heavily its Europe 97 campaign (ninety-seven reasons for the UK to be in Europe).
It campaigned for Britain to remain in the EU in the 2016 referendum and continues to oppose Brexit in collaboration with other major pro-European campaign groups such as Open Britain and Britain for Europe.
In February 2018 George Soros's Open Society Foundations donated £500,000 to a number of groups opposing Brexit including £182,000 to European Movement UK. In April the same year the group joined the People's Vote to campaign for a second vote.
- Barberis, Peter; McHugh, John (2000). Encyclopedia of British and Irish Political Organizations: Parties, Groups and Movements of the 20th Century. UK: A&C Black. pp. 392–393. ISBN 9780826458148.
- Mason, Rowena (2019-05-29). "Heseltine warns Tories: don't follow 'poisonous politics of Nigel Farage'". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2019-06-06.
- Jones, Alistair (2016). Britain and the European Union. Edinburgh, UK: Edinburgh University Press. p. 202. ISBN 9781474411790.
- Barberis, Peter; McHugh, John; Tyldesley, Mike (2000). Encyclopedia of British and Irish Political Organizations: Parties, Groups ... UK: A&C Black. pp. 133–134. ISBN 9780826458148.
- Catterall, Peter (2000). Reforming the Constitution: Debates in Twentieth-century Britain. Psychology Press. p. 145. ISBN 9780714650562.
- Staff (2016-06-13). "The people hoping to persuade UK to vote to stay in the EU". BBC News. Retrieved 2019-06-06.
- Fletcher, Martin (2018-05-30). "Inside the headquarters of Britain's anti-Brexit brigade". The New Statesman. Retrieved 2019-07-03.
- Elgot, Jessica (11 February 2018). "George Soros raises donation to anti-Brexit Best for Britain group". The Guardian. Retrieved 24 August 2018.
- Porritt, Richard (15 April 2018). "Campaign launched to push for People's Vote". The New European. Retrieved 17 April 2018.
- Staff writer (15 April 2018). "Launch of the new national People's Vote campaign". open-britain.co.uk. Open Britain. Retrieved 17 April 2018.
- "'Brexit is wrong for us': Andrew Adonis interviews the new CEO of The European Movement". The New European. 2019-04-25. Retrieved 2019-06-06.
- European Movement UK
- European Movement in Scotland
- Perth for Europe
- Leeds for Europe
- Wales for Europe Cymru Dros Ewrop
- European Movement City and East (London)
- Lewisham and East for Europe
- Lambeth for Europe
- European Movement in Wandsworth & Merton
- Islington in Europe
- European Movement Hammersmith, Chelsea, Kensington and Fulham
- European Movement Ealing
- North East European Movement
- Lancaster 48%
- Hull and East Yorkshire for Europe
- Hope Valley, Derbyshire European Movement
- European Movement Lincolnshire
- Cambridge stays
- Bedfordshire for Europe
- Stratford for Europe
- Warwick District 4 Europe
- Oxford say yes to Europe
- Berkshire for Europe
- European Movement Mendip
- Salisbury for Europe
- Sevenoaks & Swanley Together In Europe
- Tunbridge Wells in Europe
- Mid Kent 4 EU
- Tonbridge & Malling for Europe
- European Movement 1066 Branch (Hastings)
- Brighton & Hove for EU
- Portsmouth and Chichester for Europe
- Dorset for Europe
- European Movement International
- Young European Movement UK
- "Leeds for Europe - Get Involved". www.leedsforeurope.org. Retrieved 2019-04-13.