Euglyphida(Redirected from Euglyphid)
The euglyphids are a prominent group of filose amoebae that produce shells or tests from siliceous scales, plates, and sometimes spines. These elements are created within the cell and then assembled on its surface in a more or less regular arrangement, giving the test a textured appearance. There is a single opening for the long slender pseudopods, which capture food and pull the cell across the substrate.
Euglyphids are common in soils, marshes, and other organic-rich environments, feeding on tiny organisms such as bacteria. The test is generally 30-100 μm in length, although the cell only occupies part of this space. During reproduction a second shell is formed opposite the opening, so both daughter cells remain protected. Different genera and species are distinguished primarily by the form of the test. Euglypha and Trinema are the most common.
The euglyphids are traditionally grouped with other amoebae. However, genetic studies instead place them with various amoeboid and flagellate groups, forming an assemblage called the Cercozoa. Their closest relatives are the thaumatomonads, flagellates that form similar siliceous tests.
Phylogeny based on Chatelain et al. 2013
Order Euglyphida Copeland 1956 emend. Cavalier-Smith 1997
- Genus Tracheleuglypha Deflandre 1928
- Genus Ampullataria van Oye 1956
- Genus Euglyphidion Bonnet 1960
- Genus Heteroglypha Thomas & Gauthier-Lièvre 1959
- Genus Matsakision Bonnet 1967
- Genus Pareuglypha Penard 1902
- Family Paulinellidae de Saedeleer 1934 emend. Adl et al. 2012
- Family Cyphoderiidae de Saedeleer 1934
- Suborder Euglyphina Bovee 1985 emend. Kosakyan et al. 2016
- Family Assulinidae Lara et al. 2007
- Family Euglyphidae Wallich 1864 emend Lara et al. 2007
- Family Sphenoderiidae Chatelain et al. 2013
- Family Trinematidae Hoogenraad & De Groot 1940 emend Adl et al. 2012
- "Euglyphida". WoRMS - World Register of Marine Species. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
- Chatelain, Auriel P.; Meisterfeld, Ralf; Roussel-Delif, Ludovic; Lara, Enrique (2013), "Sphenoderiidae (fam. nov.), a New Clade of Euglyphid Testate Amoebae Characterized by Small, Round Scales Surrounding the Aperture", Protist, 164 (6): 782–792, doi:10.1016/j.protis.2013.08.001
- Kosakyan, Anush; Gomaa, Fatma; Lara, Enrique; Lahr, Daniel J.G. (2016), "Current and future perspectives on the systematics, taxonomy and nomenclature of testate amoebae", European Journal Protistology, 164 (6): 782–792, doi:10.1016/j.ejop.2016.02.001
|Wikispecies has information related to Euglyphida|