Ethan Thomas Robert Johns (born 1969, Merton, London, England) is an English record producer, engineer, mixer, songwriter, and multi-instrumentalist. Johns has worked with artists including Ryan Adams, Kings of Leon, Paul McCartney, Ray LaMontagne, Tom Jones, Kaiser Chiefs, Rufus Wainwright, The Boxer Rebellion, Crowded House, Lauren Hoffman, The Vaccines, Laura Marling, The Staves, and Crosby, Stills and Nash.
|Born||1969 (age 49–50)|
Merton, London, England
|Genres||Rock, pop, folk, indie rock, indie pop|
|Occupation(s)||Record producer, songwriter, mixer, engineer|
|Labels||Three Crows Records|
Although Johns is primarily a record producer, mixer and engineer, the multi-instrumentalist has also toured with acts including Emmylou Harris, Ryan Adams, Ray LaMontagne and Tom Jones. He owns the indie record label Three Crows Music. Johns also runs Three Crows Records within Warner/Atlantic. Johns is the son of the notable record producer and engineer Glyn Johns (The Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton, Led Zeppelin and The Who). In 2012, he won the Brit Award for Best British Producer.
Johns released his debut solo album Independent Years (1991) followed by If Not Now Then When on vinyl in November 2012, which was later released in other formats in February 2013. His second album titled The Reckoning was released in mid-2014, and was produced by Ryan Adams., and his third and most recent album Silver Liner was released in November 2015. Johns spent 15 years in Los Angeles as a record producer and musician, but currently lives and continues to make records in England. Johns is represented by Global Positioning Services in Santa Monica, California.
Selected production creditsEdit
- Drums, guitar, mandolin on John Hiatt's Stolen Moments (1990)
- Drums on Fish's Internal Exile (1991)
- Guitar on Mike Peters & The Poets of Justice "Exodus Tour" (1992)
- Guitar, Drums, Producer, on Andy Stine's Time Waits (1993).
- Electric and acoustic guitar, drums, percussion, and mandocello on Crosby, Stills and Nash's After the Storm (1994)
- Drums on Joe Satriani – Joe Satriani "Luminous Flesh Giants" (1995)
- Guitar, drums, percussion, omnichord, EBow, mandocello on Emmylou Harris "Red Dirt Girl" (2000)
- Guitar, drums, percussion, mandocello, marksaphone, optigon, dulcimer, synth bass on Emmylou Harris/Linda Ronstadt "Western Wall, The Tucson Sessions" (1999)
- Drums, bass, mandolin, mandocello, keyboards, percussion and guitars on Whiskeytown's Pnenmonia (2001) – also producer
- Drums, guitar, mandocello, percussion, Hammond organ, vocals on Ryan Adams Gold (2001) – also producer
- Drums and guitar on Luthea Salom Out of Without (2001)
- Guitar, percussion on Tift Merritt Bramble Rose (2002) – also producer
- Percussion, piano, drums, harmonium, bass and additional guitars on Ray Lamontagne Trouble (2004) – also producer
- Drums on Dave Palmer's Romance (2006) – also producer
- Drums on Ryan Adams 29 (2005) – also producer
- Drums in the Backing band for the Ray Lamontagne Tour for Gossip in the Grain
- Hammond organ, celesta, mandolin, mellotron, omnichord, electric and acoustic guitars, ukulele, dobro, mandocello, bass, tic tac bass, optigan, percussion on Paolo Nutini Sunny Side Up (2009) – also producer
- Drums on Howard Eliott Payne "Bright Light Ballads" (2009) – also producer
- Conductor of BBC Concert Orchestra on BBC Music's cover of God Only Knows (2014) (also producer)
- Drums, Guitar, Guitar (12 String Electric), Guitar (Acoustic), Guitar (Electric), Guitar (Leslie), Musician, Shaker, Slide Guitar, Tiple, Vocal Harmony on Benmont Tench / You Should Be So Lucky (2014)
- "ETHAN THOMAS ROBERT JOHNS director information. Free director information. Director id 900932744". Archived from the original on 20 April 2013. Retrieved 9 January 2013.
- [dead link]
- "Ethan Johns | Album Discography". AllMusic. Retrieved 27 March 2016.
- "Ethan Johns: Making Music His Way - Honestly - For All of Us". Huffingtonpost.com. 25 May 2011. Retrieved 27 March 2016.
- "The Vaccines, Kings of Leon producer Ethan Johns announces solo album". Nme.com. 25 September 2012. Retrieved 27 March 2016.
- "The Best Music, Movies, TV, Books, Games, Beer & More | Paste". Archived from the original on 8 May 2008. Retrieved 17 April 2008.
- "Ethan Johns, Kings of Leon Producer, Joins Atlantic Records UK A&R | Billboard". Billboard.biz. Retrieved 27 March 2016.
- g (3 February 2016). "The Music Producers Guild | | Welcome to MPG Awards". Mpgawards.co.uk. Retrieved 27 March 2016.
- "Ethan Johns announces debut album and UK Record Store tour | News | Music Week". Archived from the original on 28 October 2012. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- "New Release: Ethan Johns". Thank Folk For That. 28 September 2012. Retrieved 27 March 2016.
- "Ethan Johns Prepares Solo Album | News | Clash Magazine". Clashmusic.com. Retrieved 27 March 2016.
- "Ethan Johns announces release of Ryan Adams produced album 'The Reckoning'". Nme.com. 28 March 2014. Retrieved 27 March 2016.
- "New Release & Tour: Ethan Johns - Silver Liner". Thank Folk For That. 19 October 2015. Retrieved 27 March 2016.
- "Ethan Johns: producer, engineer, mixer managed by GPS | Global Positioning Services.GPS". Global Positioning Services. Retrieved 27 March 2016.