The Estonian Wikipedia (Estonian: Eestikeelne Vikipeedia) is the Estonian version of Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, started on 24 August 2002. As of October 2020, the edition has about 213,000 articles.
Main Page of the Estonian Wikipedia in December 2013
Type of site
|Internet encyclopedia project|
|Launched||August 24, 2002|
On 7 December 2008 Estonian Wikipedian Andres Luure was one of fifteen individuals recognized for volunteerism in Estonia for 2008. In 2013 he received Order of the White Star for his contributions to Wikipedia.
The first article competition was held in spring 2009 and first photo competition in summer 2010. Since then those kinds of competitions have been common in Estonian Wikipedia.
As of August 2012, The Estonian Wikipedia has the 3rd greatest number of articles per speaker among Wikipedias with over 100,000 articles, and ranks 10th overall. These figures were based on Ethnologue's estimate of 1,048,660 Estonian speakers.
As of August 2012, the Estonian Wikipedia's number of articles accounts for approximately 23% of all the articles written in a Finno-Permic language, making it the second largest edition in the family after Finnish, which accounts for 70% of Finno-Permic articles.
The Estonian Wikipedia has a relatively high percentage of administrators per regular active users (over 9%) compared to the Finnish Wikipedia, where only 2.5% of active users are administrators. As of October 2020, the edition has 545 active contributors and 34 administrators.
The overwhelming majority of its edits originate from Estonia, while a minority of contributions come from neighboring Northern European countries, which account for most of the remaining share of editors.
|10,000||15 May 2005|
|15,000||12 February 2006|
|20,000||22 July 2006|
|25,000||30 October 2006|
|30,000||1 February 2007|
|35,000||12 May 2007|
|40,000||30 August 2007|
|45,000||23 January 2008|
|50,000||4 June 2008|
|55,000||19 October 2008|
|60,000||21 February 2009|
|65,000||15 July 2009|
|70,000||15 December 2009|
|75,000||18 May 2010|
|80,000||30 November 2010|
|85,000||1 June 2011|
|90,000||12 November 2011|
|95,000||30 March 2012|
|100,000||25 August 2012|
|105,000||6 January 2013|
|110,000||22 April 2013|
|115,000||7 September 2013|
|120,000||23 January 2014|
|200,000||12 August 2019|
The first meeting for local Wikipedians was held in 2007.
The Estonian Wikimedia chapter named Wikimedia Eesti was founded in 2010 to support Estonian Wikipedia.
- An ETV archive of the 2008 Aasta Vabatahtlik award ceremony. Andres Luure's time segment: 39:48-41:33 Archived 13 February 2012 at Archive.today
- Presidendilt saab tänavu teenetemärgi 99 inimest ERR (in Estonian)
- Vikipeedia:Võistlused Estonian Wikipedia
- http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wikipedias_by_speakers_per_article List of Wikipedias by speakers per article
- http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wikipedias List of Wikipedias
- https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wikipedias_by_language_group List of Wikipedias by Language Group
- http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wikipedias_by_speakers_per_article List of Wikipedias by Speakers per Article
- "ETV: Vikipeedia administraatorid said esmakordselt kokku" Postimees, December 16, 2007
|Estonian edition of Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia|
- Media related to Estonian Wikipedia at Wikimedia Commons
- (in Estonian) Estonian Wikipedia
- (in Estonian) Estonian Wikipedia mobile version