Essendon railway station(Redirected from Essendon railway station, Victoria)
Essendon railway station is located on the Craigieburn line, in Victoria, Australia. It serves the northern Melbourne suburb of Essendon, and opened on 1 November 1860, as the terminus of the private Melbourne and Essendon Railway Company line. The station closed with the line on 1 July 1864, but was reopened on 9 October 1871, under government ownership.
Northbound view from Platform 1
|Location||Russell Street, Essendon
|Distance||8.01 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Platforms||3 (1 side, 1 island)|
|Fare zone||Myki Zone 1|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||1 November 1860|
|Closed||1 July 1864|
|Rebuilt||9 October 1871|
The line to the north was opened in 1872, as part of the North East railway to Wodonga. A completely new station, with a single platform, was provided in 1878, on the site of the present island platform, with passenger subways and footbridges added in 1886, along with conversion of the island platform to the current layout. It was also at this time that a road overpass was provided at Mount Alexander Road, in what was one of the first grade separation projects to be carried out in the state. In 1909, the present buildings were provided, along with a centre track between platforms 1 and 2.
Electric train services between the city and Essendon were inaugurated in 1919, with electrification extended to Broadmeadows in 1921. However, Essendon remained the terminus of most suburban services, with a shuttle service operating beyond until 1925, with all day through services to Broadmeadows not provided until 1941. The station took the layout it has today in 1969, with the abolition of the centre track, closure of the stand-alone signal box, provision of automatic signalling along the line, and replacement of the Buckley Street interlocked crossing gates with boom barriers.
Stabling of suburban trains at Essendon ceased on 8 June 1987, with the overhead wiring of all sidings removed just over a year later. The former sidings near Rose Street were removed on 1 September 1988.
Platforms & servicesEdit
Essendon has one island platform with two faces and one side platform. It is serviced by Metro Trains' Craigieburn line services and V/Line Seymour services. Platform 1 is rarely used, but it is used by V/Line services to overtake Metro Trains services, or when 3 car trains are terminating.
- through platform only
- Craigieburn line: all stations services to Flinders Street
- Seymour line: V/Line services to Southern Cross
Kastoria Bus Lines operates three routes via Essendon station:
- 475: Moonee Ponds Junction – Keilor East
- 476: Moonee Ponds Junction – Plumpton
- 501: Moonee Ponds Junction – Niddrie
Moonee Valley Coaches operates one route to and from Essendon station:
Moreland Buslines operates one route to and from Essendon station:
Ryan Brothers Bus Service operates two routes to and from Essendon station:
Sunbury Bus Service operates one route via Essendon station:
Tullamarine Bus Lines operates one route via Essendon station:
Yarra Trams operates one route via Essendon station:
- Essendon Vicsig
- Turton, Keith W (1973). Six And A Half Inches From Destiny. The first hundred years of the Melbourne-Wodonga Railway 1873-1973. Australian Railway Historical Society. pp. 23, 86. ISBN 0-85849-012-9.
- SE Dornan & RG Henderson (1979). Electric Railways of Victoria. Australian Electric Traction Society. p. 54. ISBN 0-909459-06-1.
- "Works". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. November 1988. p. 349.
- Craigieburn Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Seymour - Melbourne timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 475 Moonee Ponds - East Keilor timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 476 Moonee Ponds - Plumpton timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 501 Moonee Ponds - Niddrie timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 503 Essendon - East Brunswick timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 510 Essendon - Ivanhoe timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 465 Essendon Station - Keilor Park timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 468 Essendon - Highpoint SC timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 483 Sunbury - Moonee Ponds timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 903 Altona - Mordialloc timetable Archived 26 April 2014 at the Wayback Machine. Public Transport Victoria
- Route 477 Moonee Ponds - Broadmeadows Station timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 59 Airport West - City Elizabeth St timetable Public Transport Victoria