Escape Plan 2: Hades
Escape Plan 2: Hades is a 2018 American action thriller film directed by Steven C. Miller. It is the sequel to the 2013 film Escape Plan and features Sylvester Stallone and Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson reprising their roles from the first film, with Dave Bautista, Huang Xiaoming, Jaime King, Jesse Metcalfe, Titus Welliver, and Wes Chatham joining the cast. The film was released straight to DVD in the United States and theatrically in Russia on June 28, 2018, in China on June 29, 2018 and in Italy on August 22, 2018.
|Escape Plan 2: Hades|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Steven C. Miller|
|Written by||Miles Chapman|
|Music by||The Newton Brothers|
|Edited by||Vincent Tabaillon|
|Box office||$16.7 million|
Upon release, the film became a box office and critical failure. It grossed $16 million against a production budget of $20 million.
Despite the film's failure, a sequel, Escape Plan: The Extractors, will be released in 2019.
After escaping the Tomb in the first film, Ray Breslin has continued operating his security company to some success. He employs Hush and Abigail as members of his senior staff, with newcomers Shu Ren, Jasper Kimbral and Luke Graves as field operators. During a hostage rescue mission in Chechnya, Kimbral, trusting his computer algorithms, deviates from the mission objectives, resulting in one of the hostages getting shot. The hostage later dies of her wounds. Because of his inability to work in a team, Breslin fires Kimbral from the company.
A year later, Shu is contacted by his family to protect his cousin Yusheng Ma who is about to announce groundbreaking satellite communications technology from his telecommunications company. Yusheng is targeted by a rival company who wants his technology and has made increasingly aggressive attempts to acquire it. After attending a party in Bangkok, Yusheng is confronted by masked men. Shu fights them off, but both of them are stunned with taser weapons and kidnapped.
When Shu comes to, he finds himself imprisoned in an unknown location with the appearance of an arena, where inmates are forced to fight each other and the winner receives a reward. He is forced to fight another prisoner and wins. Shu later encounters Kimbral as another inmate. Kimbral tells Shu that the prison they are in is called Hades and that he has been imprisoned for several months. Meanwhile, Luke, Hush, Abigail and Breslin attempt to locate Shu after his and Yusheng's disappearance.
In the prison, Shu formulates an escape plan while drawing on the training he received from Breslin about prison escapes. Shu meets the warden, Gregor Faust, who calls himself the "Zookeeper" and learns that Faust wants Yusheng's patents on his communications technology. If they give him the information, Faust will release them both. Yusheng tells Shu that since the technology could be used to hack into and control any nuclear launch system in the world, he buried it for fear of it being used for nefarious purposes. They resolve to escape the prison.
Using his contacts, Breslin determines that Hades is funded by a mysterious organization composed of the same group who funded the Tomb. Breslin seeks help from an old contact, Trent DeRosa. While following a lead on Shu's disappearance, Luke is also caught and transferred to Hades.
Shu attempts to learn the prison layout. He befriends the prison cook and learns that the prison layout changes every night. Kimbral informs him that another inmate, a hacker known as Count Zero, knows the layout of the prison. Shu earns his trust and Count Zero gives him the information, but in doing so reveals his identity. The following day, Shu, Luke and Kimbral are brought in for questioning and forced to watch as Count Zero is presumably executed. As Shu contemplates how his plan was compromised, Kimbral reveals that he is the one who runs Hades and the Zookeeper works for him. In the year since being dismissed from Breslin's team, he designed and built Hades to prove that his algorithms work and that his prison is inescapable.
Breslin and DeRosa find clues that reveal Kimbral's connection to Hades. Knowing Kimbral is out for revenge, Breslin willingly allows himself to be captured and transferred to Hades. Using a hidden communication device in his tooth, Breslin stays in contact with Hush while attempting to breach the prison's defenses from the inside. Breslin, Shu, and Luke formulate a new plan to escape while enlisting the help of Yusheng, the cook, Count Zero's friends and other inmates. They manage to disable the prison's security cameras and with Hush's help from the outside, temporarily shut down Galileo, the prison's automated defense system. They break into the prison's medical center and attempt to gain control of the prison's systems and get to the control room. The Zookeeper responds with an armed force and in the shootout, several of the inmates are killed and the group gets separated. Meanwhile, DeRosa, following his own leads, locates the prison from the outside and prepares to break in.
Yusheng manages to override the prison's power systems, alerting DeRosa to the prison's entrance and allowing him to break in. While attempting to locate an exit, Shu encounters the Zookeeper and the two engage in a fight, ending with Shu's victory. Breslin, Luke and DeRosa converge on the control room. Breslin faces off with Kimbral in hand-to-hand combat while DeRosa rescues Luke from the prison guards. Breslin defeats Kimbral and together with DeRosa disables Galileo for good. Shu and Yusheng find an exit and are safely extracted by Abigail and Hush. Breslin is then contacted by the group behind Hades, after which he vows to track them down and expose them.
- Sylvester Stallone as Ray Breslin
- Dave Bautista as Trent DeRosa, former associate of Breslin Security
- Huang Xiaoming as Shu Ren, protege of Breslin
- Jaime King as Abigail Ross, Vice President of Breslin Security
- Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson as Hush, computer hacker working for Breslin
- Jesse Metcalfe as Lucas "Luke" Graves, Protege of Breslin
- Wes Chatham as Jaspar Kimbral, Breslin’s former protege turned warden of HADES
- Titus Welliver as Gregor Faust (“The Zookeeper”) of HADES
- Lydia Hull as Jules, an employee of Breslin Security
- Chen Tang as Yusheng Ma, Shu Ren's cousin
- Tyron Woodley as Akala, a prisoner of HADES
- Tyler Jon Olson as Moe
- Shea Buckner as Larry
- Pete Wentz as Bug
Development was first announced in October 2016, with Sylvester Stallone returning to star. It was announced in February 2017 that Steven C. Miller would helm the film, and that there was potential for Arnold Schwarzenegger to reprise his role from the first. Chinese film production company Leomus Pictures was set as a co-financer for the film. In March 2017, Dave Bautista, Jaime King and 50 Cent were added to the cast, with the additions of Jesse Metcalfe, Pete Wentz and Wes Chatham later in the month. By March 22, filming had begun in Atlanta, Georgia, with Stallone sharing a video from the set and revealing the title as Escape Plan 2: Hades, as well as announcing a third film was in development. Tyron Woodley was revealed as part of the cast in April.
David Ehrlich of IndieWire gave the film a "D–" and wrote: "Hades might boast some decent star power, but there isn’t a celebrity in the world who could save this bargain bin nonsense from feeling like a bootlegged ripoff of its own franchise. Not even Arnold Schwarzenegger, who faced off against Stallone in the first one, could have rescued this from abject boredom."
In April 2017, a third film entered the early stages of development with Stallone again signed on to reprise his role as Ray Breslin. Dave Bautista has also signed on to reprise his role in Escape Plan: The Extractors with filming to begin in September 2017.
- "Escape Plan 2 Hades (2018)". British Films Institute. Retrieved August 9, 2018.
- Gallagher, Bryan (22 March 2017). "Stallone Teases a Robot Brawl in Escape Plan 2 Set Video". MovieWeb. Watchr Media. Retrieved 16 June 2018.
- "Escape Plan 2: Hades (2018)". The Numbers. Retrieved July 8, 2018.
- Romano, Nick (31 October 2016). "'Escape Plan 2': Sylvester Stallone Planning Another Breakout". Collider. Complex Media. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- Evry, Max (8 February 2017). "Escape Plan 2 Director Confirmed as Steven C. Miller". ComingSoon.net. CraveOnline Media. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- Brzeski, Patrick (1 February 2017). "Sylvester Stallone's 'Escape Plan 2' Set as China Co-Production". The Hollywood Reporter. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- Kit, Borys (10 March 2017). "Dave Bautista Joining Sylvester Stallone in 'Escape Plan 2' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- Pedersen, Erik (11 March 2017). "Jaime King & Curtis '50 Cent' Jackson Break Into 'Escape Plan 2'". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- Sneider, Jeff (21 March 2017). "Jesse Metcalfe, Pete Wentz Join Sylvester Stallone in "Escape Plan 2"". The Tracking Board. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- Coming Soon (22 March 2017). "Stallone Shares Video from the Escape Plan 2: Hades Set". ComingSoon.net. CraveOnline Media. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "Tyron Woodley teases return in July, but who is he fighting?". FOX Sports. Fox Sports Digital Media. 27 April 2017. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "Escape Plan 2: Hades (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved July 18, 2018.
- Ehrlich, David (June 29, 2018). "'Escape Plan 2: Hades' Review: Sylvester Stallone and Dave Bautista Are Trapped in Movie Hell". IndieWire. Penske Business Media. Retrieved July 9, 2018.
- Evry, Max (12 April 2017). "Escape Plan: The Extractors Set with Sylvester Stallone to Return". ComingSoon.net. CraveOnline Media. Retrieved 27 June 2018.