Ernie Jones (golfer)
Ernest Thomas Jones (22 September 1932 – 31 December 2019) was an Irish professional golfer. He won the Irish PGA Championship twice and represented Ireland in the 1965 Canada Cup. His biggest individual successes came in the 1961 Cox Moore Tournament and, as a senior, in the 1984 Trusthouse Forte PGA Seniors Championship.
|Full name||Ernest Thomas Jones|
|Born||22 September 1932|
Curragh Camp, County Kildare, Ireland
|Died||31 December 2019 (aged 87)|
Downpatrick, Northern Ireland
|Best results in major championships|
|The Open Championship||T46: 1972|
Jones won the Irish PGA Championship in 1955 and 1964. He also won the 1959 Hennessy Tournament. Outside Ireland, Jones was a surprise winner of the 1961 Cox Moore Tournament with an impressive score of 270, two strokes ahead of Peter Alliss, taking the first prize of £1,000. He also won the 1971 Kenya Open after a playoff against Russell Meek.
Playing with Christy Greene, Jones represented Ireland in the 1965 Canada Cup in Madrid. He also represented Ireland in the 1967 R.T.V. International Trophy at Edmondstown Golf Course, County Dublin.
Jones played in the Open Championship 8 times between 1957 and 1972 but only made the cut once, on his last appearance in 1972.
Jones became an assistant at the Royal Curragh Golf Club in 1948 and was later the professional at Carlow Golf Club, Foxrock Golf Club, Bangor Golf Club (from 1963), Royal County Down and the K Club (1991–2002). He was captain of the Professional Golfers' Association from 1991 to 1993 and was made an honorary member in 2001. Jones refereed the final match of the 1969 Ryder Cup, the singles match between Jack Nicklaus and Tony Jacklin which was halved after Nicklaus conceded a short putt.
Professional wins (6)Edit
Results in major championshipsEdit
|The Open Championship||CUT|
|The Open Championship||CUT||CUT||CUT||CUT||CUT||CUT|
|The Open Championship||T46|
Note: Jones only played in The Open Championship.
CUT = missed the half-way cut
"T" indicates a tie for a place
- "E. Jones wins Irish title". The Glasgow Herald. 2 September 1955. p. 4.
- "Jones gains Irish Championship". The Times. 28 August 1964. p. 5.
- "Surprise win for Jones". The Glasgow Herald. 29 April 1961. p. 19.
- "Nairobi". The Times. 19 April 1971. p. 7.
- "England's clean sweep in R.T.V. Internationals". The Glasgow Herald. 28 August 1967. p. 4.
- "Ernie Jones". The Glasgow Herald. 21 May 1984. p. 14.
- O'Sullivan, John (10 July 2001). "K Club's professional has done his rounds". The Irish Times.
- "Ernest 'Ernie' Jones (1932-2019)". The Professional Golfers' Association. 2 January 2020.
- Keogh, Brian (9 July 2013). ""It's being able to look back and say, you know what, I gave that everything I had."". irishgolfdesk.com.