Ermoupoli (Greek: Ερμούπολη), also known by the formal older name Ermoupolis or Hermoupolis (Greek: Ἑρμούπολις < Ἑρμοῦ πόλις "Town of Hermes"), is a town and former municipality on the island of Syros, in the Cyclades, Greece. Since the 2011 local government reform, it is part of the municipality Syros-Ermoupoli, of which it is the seat and a municipal unit. It is also the capital of the South Aegean region. The municipal unit has an area of 11.181 km2.
|Administrative region||South Aegean|
|• Municipal unit||11.2 km2 (4.3 sq mi)|
|Elevation||20 m (70 ft)|
|• Municipal unit||13,737|
|• Municipal unit density||1,200/km2 (3,200/sq mi)|
|• Population||11,407 (2011)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
|Climate data for Ermoupoli, Greece|
|Average high °F (°C)||55
|Average low °F (°C)||47
|Source: <World Weather Online= >"Ermoupoli Weather". Ermoupolis Monthly Climate Average, Greece. World Weather Online. 2016. Retrieved 13 September 2016.|
Ermoupoli was founded during the Greek Revolution in the 1820s, as an extension to the existing Ano Syros township, by refugees from other Greek islands because of the War. It soon became the leading commercial and industrial center of Greece, as well as its main port. The renowned Greek Steamship Company was founded in the city in 1856. Thousands of ships were built in the various Syros shipyards.
Eventually Ermoupoli was eclipsed by Piraeus in the late 19th century. In the following decades the city declined. Recently, its economy has greatly improved, based on the service industry.
- Emmanouil Benakis (1843–1929), merchant and politician
- Olga Broumas (1949), poet and translator
- Manos Eleutheriou, lyricist
- Stelios Mainas (1957), actor
- Michael Melas, father of Pavlos Melas, fighter of the Greek Struggle for Macedonia
- Emmanuel Rhoides (1836–1904), writer and journalist
- Georgios Souris, poet
- Markos Vamvakaris (1905–1972), rebetiko musician
- Demetrius Vikelas (1835–1908), businessman, writer and the first president of the International Olympic Committee
The City Hall, Miaoulis Square
- "Απογραφή Πληθυσμού - Κατοικιών 2011. ΜΟΝΙΜΟΣ Πληθυσμός" (in Greek). Hellenic Statistical Authority.
- Kallikratis law Greece Ministry of Interior (in Greek)
- "Population & housing census 2001 (incl. area and average elevation)" (PDF) (in Greek). National Statistical Service of Greece. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-09-21.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ermoupoli.|