Erion Veliaj (born December 17, 1979) is an Albanian politician, who is currently serving as the 42nd Mayor of Tirana. Stemming from a civil society activism organization as the leader of MJAFT!, Veliaj joined the ranks of the Socialist Party of Albania in 2011, when he was appointed Secretary for Youth and Immigration.
|42nd Mayor of Tirana|
|Assumed office |
21 July 2015
|Preceded by||Lulzim Basha|
|Minister of Social Welfare and Youth|
15 September 2013 – 30 April 2015
|Preceded by||Spiro Ksera|
|Succeeded by||Blendi Klosi|
|Prime Minister||Edi Rama|
|Born||17 December 1979|
|Political party||G99 (2008-2010)Socialist Party (2010-present)|
|Alma mater||Grand Valley State University, University of Sussex|
Previously he has served as a Member of the Parliament for the district of Gjirokastër and as Minister of Social Welfare and Youth under Prime Minister Edi Rama. In April 2015, Veliaj was appointed as mayoral candidate of the Socialist Party in the city of Tirana. He won the elections and took office on July 31, 2015.
- 1 Early life and education
- 2 Political career
- 3 Mayor of Tirana
- 4 Controversies
- 5 External links
- 6 References
Early life and educationEdit
Erion Veliaj was born on December 17, 1979 in Tirana, Albania. His father Luan Veliaj served as an officer in the Albanian Army, while his mother was an HR Manager in the military. He attended the "Sami Frasheri" High School in Tirana and then later Grand Valley State University in Allendale, Michigan where he graduated with a B.A. in political science. He received his Master's degree in European Integration from the University of Sussex. Before returning to Albania, Veliaj worked with several international humanitarian organizations in the Americas, Eastern Africa, and Kosovo.
Veliaj hails from a Muslim family which first left Islam and later became an atheist. Getting in contact with missionaries from the United States, Erion Veliaj converted to Evangelicalism. His Mjaft organisation showed the controversial Muhammad cartoons on its pages.
Veliaj was one of earliest activists of MJAFT!, a civic organization created in 2003 aimed at protesting social and political injustices in Albania. He soon became one of the central figures of MJAFT! due to his many TV appearances. Veliaj was involved with MJAFT! until November 2007. This Mjaft organization showed the controversial Muhammad cartoons on its pages when Veliaj was a leader of it.
In 2008, Erion Veliaj and a few other activists from MJAFT! created G99 (Group 99), a center-left political party. While initially unaligned, G99 ended up joining other political parties of the center-left coalition in the 2009 Parliamentary Election. Erion Veliaj ran as G99's leading candidate for the district of Tirana. Despite the media attention, Erion Veliaj and G99 only earned 0.86% of the vote, failing to win a seat in the Parliament. In 2011, Veliaj leaves G99 and joins the Socialist Party of Albania.
Socialist Party of AlbaniaEdit
In the Socialist Party, Veliaj was nominated to serve as Secretary for Youth and Emigration. In 2013, he was nominated as a candidate for MP representing the district of Gjirokastër. The center-left coalition of political parties won the 2013 Parliamentary Election and Veliaj was appointed to serve as Minister of Social Welfare and Youth in Edi Rama's new cabinet. He resigned in 2015 due to him being nominated as SPA's candidate for Mayor of Tirana. Veliaj was elected Mayor of Tirana with 53.58% of the vote, defeating Democratic Party's candidate, Halim Kosova and the independent candidate, Gjergj Bojaxhi.
Mayor of TiranaEdit
The issue of urban air pollution is a growing concern in Tirana, and the role of the car can be controversial. In September 2015, Tirana organized its first vehicle-free day. In January 2017 the new Skanderbeg Square was inaugurated by Veliaj and the Prime Minister. In July 2017 the Municipality of Tiranë voted to raise the water tariff significantly, Veliaj promoted this action by arguing that it would eventually make drinking water available 24 hours a day, and help improve its access and quality. During his term as Mayor, he has earned the nickname ‘Lali Eri’, which can be translated as Dude Eri.
Notable projects of the Municipality of TiranaEdit
The death of Ardit GjoklajEdit
Ardit Gjoklaj, a 17 year old boy died in 7 August 2016 working in very poor conditions in the landfill of Sharrë. His death became controversial because the company that managed the landfill of Sharrë, "3R" was promoted publicly by Erion Veliaj himself as having good working conditions. The judicial process surrounding the case was also very controversial.
Comments about Injured PoliceEdit
On November 27, 2018, in a televised speech to the City Council, Mr. Veliaj reacted to the developing story about a police officer who lost her fingers in clashes with protesters in Tirana, by saying "We are all men here. Would any of us have eyes to marry someone with no fingers?"
Fake news accusation regarding alleged kidnapping of Griselda RoshiEdit
In a 2011 email to EU representatives, Mr. Veliaj briefed them on what he claimed was a politically motivated kidnapping of Kavaja's mayor's wife, Griselda Roshi, which allegedly led to a forced abortion. He related the kidnapping to the fact that Elvis Roshi had been able to flip a district such as Kavaja that traditionally voted for the DPA. The story was debunked after Ms. Roshi revealed to Albanian authorities that she had made up her kidnapping and was not pregnant. In a 2011 meeting on human rights in Albania, MEP Tanja Fajon used this debunked story as an illustrative example. She later apologized and claimed Mr. Veliaj never updated her on this story. This controversy has raised serious concerns over Mr. Veliaj's using of fake news and personal connections to influence high-ranked EU officials.
False UN awardEdit
After attending the annual UN Bridge for Cities 4.0 Conference, the Tirana mayor claimed through social media post that an award was given to Tirana as "one of the 10 cities with the best economic performance”. The claim was verified afterward by a fact-check journalistic initiative called "Faktoje". The journalist of "Faktoje" asked the organizers of the conference if there was any UN award distributed to the mayor of Tirana. The organizers' reply clearified that the conference was held in the form of a roundtable, with no awards distributed to any mayor or city.
On November 13, 2018, in his speech to the City Council, Erion Veliaj reacted to peaceful protests against his local government's decision to demolish some 317 houses without properly compensating residents, by calling the families protesting the forced eviction "people who don't belong to this city", "people who have no roots in this city", and "cavemen". A large number of Tirana's residents, including a majority of families whose homes are set to be demolished, moved from rural parts of Northern Albania to the capital in the early 1990s. This segment of the population has faced continuous discrimination and prejudice.
The Balkan Investigative Reporting Network (BIRN) and the opposition have accused the municipality of Tirana for lack of transparency, particularly for the way it raised fares for bus passengers and budget.
Many in the civil society have accused him for favouring the construction oligarchy and that the General Urban Plan of Tirana he supported will destroy what little is left of Tirana's green spaces. His way of handling the protests against the playground in the Tirana Lake Park has also been criticised.
- Portraits - Return to Europe: Erion Veliaj, Albania
- The Albanian Renaissance Documentary
- Erion Veliaj on Twitter
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Erion Veliaj.|
- SOT DORËHIQET VELIAJ, TAKON STAFIN E MINISTRISË TEK MUZEU KOMBËTAR, Gazeta Shqiptare, 2015-04-30 (in Albanian)
- "Veliaj dorëhiqet nga G99, bashkohet me PS-në". Retrieved 17 January 2017.
- "Veliaj merr titullin "Honoris Causa" në Universitetin "Grand Valley" në SHBA". top-channel.tv. Retrieved 3 December 2017.
- "Albanian Presidency Official Website".
- "Veliaj merr titullin "Honoris Causa" në Universitetin "Grand Valley" në SHBA - Lajme - Top Channel". top-channel.tv. Retrieved 2017-07-28.
- Ernst, Andreas (2017-07-12). "Ein Segen für Albanien". NZZ. Retrieved 2017-08-13.
- Jazexhi, Olsi (December 2007). "The Political Exploitation of Islamophobia in post–communist Albania". Olsi Jazexhi. Retrieved 2016-11-07.
- Tom Lansford (20 March 2014). Political Handbook of the World 2014. SAGE Publications. p. 21. ISBN 978-1-4833-8626-3. Retrieved 1 December 2018.
- "Veliaj shkarkon kryetarët e FRESSH të Korçës e Hasit". panorama.com.al (in Albanian). Retrieved 2017-07-28.
- "Lista e PS, emrat e rinj të deputetëve në qarqe. Veliaj në Gjirokastër, Fino në Korçë, Duka në Durrës". panorama.com.al (in Albanian). Retrieved 2017-07-28.
- "Shqiptarja.com - Veliaj merr Ministrinë e Punës vizita e parë te romët". Shqiptarja.com. Retrieved 2017-07-28.
- Williams, Sean (11 July 2014). "Tirana fights to beat its addiction to cars and get its residents cycling". The Guardian. Guardian News and Media Limited. Retrieved 28 November 2016.
- "Sheshi "Skënderbej", Rama: Ambicia jonë për Tiranën fitoi, mirënjohje Veliajt; Kryebashkiaku: Të bashkohemi si kurrë më parë për Tiranën dhe Shqipërinë që duam (Foto) | ZATHUR". zathur.net. Retrieved 2017-07-28.
- "Bashkia rrit çmimin e ujit për familjet e biznesin, ja të gjitha tarifat e reja". panorama.com.al (in Albanian). Retrieved 2017-07-28.
- "Albanian Daily News". albaniannews.com. Retrieved 3 December 2017.
- "Plastic bag usage reduced with 60% in Tirana". top-channel.tv. Retrieved 3 December 2017.
- "15 Must-See Installations at the 2017 Chicago Architecture Biennial". 22 September 2017. Retrieved 3 December 2017.
- "Pazari i Ri". Bashkia Tiranë. Retrieved 2018-04-17.
- "Vdekja e Ardit Gjoklajt: Gjykata akuza Prokurorisë për hetime 'selektive' - reporter.al" (in Albanian). 2018-05-17. Retrieved 2019-07-04.
- Gazeta Shqiptare, Veliaj për policen e dëmtuar: Kush është ai burrë që martohet me një pa gishta, retrieved 2018-12-06
- "Rrembimi i Griselda Roshit zbulohet letra e Erion Veliajt per SHBA e BE". Shqiperia (in Albanian). Retrieved 2018-03-24.
- "Flet Griselda: S'bëja dot fëmijë, shpika shtatzëninë". panorama.com.al (in Albanian). Retrieved 2018-03-24.
- "Prokurori, Griselda Roshi pranon mashtrimin". Retrieved 2018-03-24.
- "Griselda pranon mashtrimin - Telegrafi". Telegrafi. 2011-06-02. Retrieved 2018-03-24.
- "Doda: Debati në PE me Tanja Fajon për Griseldën". panorama.com.al (in Albanian). Retrieved 2018-03-24.
- "Telenovela Griselda, seria e dytë luhet në Bruksel- Edi Rama dhe Erjon Veliaj kanë furnizuar me mashtrime BE-në". Gazeta 55 (in Albanian). 15 June 2011. Retrieved 2018-03-24.
- "Erion Veliaj's Claim Tirana Won A UN Award Found to Be False". https://exit.al/ (in Albanian). Retrieved 2019-09-10. External link in
- Ora News Lajme (2018-11-13), Ora News - Veliaj: S'ka shanst të ndalet Unaza e Madhe Nuk na ndalin 'shpellarët'(e plotë), retrieved 2018-11-30
- "Rritja e biletave të autobuzëve ishte jo transparente dhe e paargumentuar". Retrieved 17 January 2017.
- "Plani i Tiranës: bastisja finale e qytetit në favor të oligarkëve dhe pushtetit Rama-Veliaj". Retrieved 17 January 2017.
- "Preventivi i Këndit të Lojërave/ Vërtetohet betonizimi i Parkut të Liqenit". Retrieved 17 January 2017.
| Minister of Social Welfare and Youth
| Mayor of Tirana
2015 – ...