Eric Wright (cornerback, born 1985)
Eric Andrew Wright (born July 24, 1985) is a former American football cornerback in the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Cleveland Browns in the second round of the 2007 NFL Draft. He played college football at USC and UNLV.
|No. 24, 21, 30|
|Born:||July 24, 1985|
San Francisco, California
|Height:||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight:||200 lb (91 kg)|
|High school:||San Francisco (CA) Riordan|
|NFL Draft:||2007 / Round: 2 / Pick: 53|
|Career NFL statistics|
Wright attended USC for two years before attending UNLV. After being redshirted his first year, he was a starter his second year, and started in the 2005 Orange Bowl, where he recorded four tackles and an interception.
Wright transferred to UNLV after being expelled by USC. Police found 136 tablets of Ecstasy and GHB in Wright's apartment while investigating a sexual assault allegation against Wright. Wright sat out the 2005 season due to NCAA transfer guidelines. Wright played one year at UNLV before deciding to declare for the NFL Draft. He was a university studies major.
Wright was drafted by the Cleveland Browns in the second round (53rd overall) of the 2007 NFL Draft. The Browns acquired the pick from the Dallas Cowboys to select Wright. While he was a projected first round pick, he fell to the second round due to his troubled college past.
In Wright's first season with the Browns, he started 13 of 16 games. He recorded his first career interception on October 14, 2007, against Miami Dolphins quarterback Cleo Lemon. He won his first Defensive Player of the Week award after his performance during week 6 of the 2008 NFL season against the New York Giants, where he had a 94-yard interception return for a touchdown.
Tampa Bay BuccaneersEdit
On July 19, 2013, Wright was traded from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to the San Francisco 49ers for a conditional late-round 2014 draft pick . After he failed his team physical, the trade was voided causing his rights to revert to the Buccaneers who subsequently released him.
San Francisco 49ersEdit
On June 17, 2014, Wright announced his retirement from the NFL.
- Goldberg, Dave (2007-04-29). "Bad Character Guys Drop in NFL Draft". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2009-11-23.
- Bell, Jarrett (2007-05-01). "Browns take chance on Wright despite his off-field issues". USA Today. Retrieved 2009-11-24.
- Withers, Tom (2008-10-15). "Browns CB Eric Wright stars in 'prime time'". USA Today. Retrieved 2009-11-23.
- Detroit Lions sum up first official practice: 'Crisp' MLive.com July 29, 2011
- Bucs sign Carl Nicks, Eric Wright
- Josina Anderson [@JosinaAnderson] (19 July 2013). "Breaking: Tampa trades CB Eric Wright to the 49ers for a conditional late-round pick. The conditional late-round pick is from 2014" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Rosenthal, Gregg (July 22, 2013). "Eric Wright fails his 49ers physical, cut by Buccaneers". NFL.com. Retrieved July 22, 2013.
- Barrows, Matthew (August 9, 2013). "49ers notes: Niners sign Eric Wright to help at cornerback". The Sacramento Bee. Archived from the original on August 11, 2013. Retrieved August 9, 2013.
- Brinson, Will (August 27, 2013). "2013 NFL Roster Cuts: Tracking teams down to 75 Tuesday". CBSSports.com. Retrieved September 6, 2013.
- Niners' Eric Wright retires from football