This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
The Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT) is a university in Nigeria that was founded as Anambra State University of Technology (ASUTECH) on 30 July 1980, by the Executive Governor of Anambra State, Chief Dr Jim Ifeanyichukwu Nwobodo . The creation of Enugu State out of Anambra State in 1991 by the then Military President General Ibrahim Gbadamasi Babangida, transformed ASUTECH into Enugu State University of Science and Technology.
|Vice-Chancellor||Professor Aloysius-Michaels Nnabugwu Okolie|
|Campus||(Agbani main campus)|
(Enugu campus including MSP and college of medicine)
500 hectares (1,200 acres)
The university was conceived with the aim to establish an institution that must be closely related to society, its industry and above all, serve as a catalyst in the technological advancement of the people, hence the university's motto remains "Technology for Service".
The enactment of the law establishing the university by the then Anambra State House of Assembly was followed by the appointment of professor Kenneth Onwuka Dike as the first president and chief executive of the university and the inauguration of the first Provisional Council of the university with professor Onwuka Dike as its first chairman/president. (Oct 1980 – Oct 1983).
Later, Professor Chinua Achebe was appointed Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of Council with Professor Chiweyite Ejike as Vice Chancellor (1987 – 1988). The management team of the university at that time included Mr. F.C. Eze – Registrar, Mr. G.C. Akachukwu – Acting Bursar and Dr. (Mrs.) Ngozi Ene – University Librarian. At the end of Professor Achebe's tenure, Professor Gaius Igboeli was appointed the next Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of the University Governing Council. (1989 – 1991) while Professor Chiweyite Ejike was still the Vice Chancellor.
Following the creation of Enugu State in 1991 and the subsequent change of the name of the university to Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Hon, Justice Anthony Aniagolu was appointed the Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of the Governing Council with Prof. Julius Onuorah Onah as the Vice Chancellor (1992 – 1996). The Management team under Professor Onah included Dr. Fidelis Ogah as the Deputy Vice Chancellor, Mr. F.C. Eze as Registrar, Dr. (Mrs.) Ngozi Eneh – University Librarian and Mr. G.C. Akachukwu – Bursar. At the end of the tenure of Professor Julius Onah came in quick succession, Professor T.C. Nwodo as acting Vice Chancellor and later Professor Mark Anikpo as acting Vice Chancellor also.
A new Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of Council in the person of Igwe Charles Abangwu with Professor Samuel C. Chukwu as the Vice Chancellor (January 2000 – December 2003 were later put in place.The end tenure of Igwe Charles Abangwu was followed by the appointment of Igwe Francis Okwor (now late) as Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of Council between January 2004 and August 2004. Following the death of the Pro-Chancellor, a Management Committee was inaugurated to govern the university between August 2004 and August 2006 with Chief Clement Okwor who was then, the Head of Service in Enugu State as its chairman.
Professor Ikechukwu Chidobem was later appointed the Vice Chancellor in 2006 to succeed Professor Chukwu. The Management team under Professor Chidobem included Mr. Simon N.P. Nwankwo as Registrar, Mr. Fabian Ugwu as Bursar and Mr George Igwebuike as acting University Librarian. A new Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of Council in the person of Barrister David Ogbodo was later appointed to replace the Management Committee in August 2006. Other members of the council include Prof. Fab. Onah, Prof. David Edeani, Chief G.O. Okereke, Mrs. Janet Ngene, Mrs. Fidelia Agu, Arc. Sylvester Chineke (now late) and Professor Nene Obianyo – Provost, College of Medicine.
Campuses of Enugu State University edit
The university has 3 campuses:
- Enugu state university of science and technology, Agbani
- Enugu state college of medicine
- Enugu state university of science and technology, Enugu campus
The main campus of the university is located on 671 hectares of dry savannah in the town of Nkanu, about eighty kilometres east of Enugu, and enjoys a very humid and arable climate. There is regular road transport between Enugu and Agbani, and Agbani is also quite easily accessible from all parts of Nigeria.
Faculties & College edit
Governing Council edit
- His Lordship, Most Rev. (Prof.) Godfrey I. Onah - Pro Chancellor
- Professor Aloysius-Michaels Nnabugwu Okolie - Vice-Chancellor
- Professor Chike E. Nwoha - Deputy Vice-Chancellor
- Mr. Ambrose George Ugwu - Registrar/Secretary to Council
Principal officers edit
- Vice-Chancellor - Professor Aloysius-Michaels Nnabugwu Okolie
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor - Professor Chike E. Nwoha
- Registrar - Mr. Ambrose George Ugwu
- Bursar - Dr. Augustine Ikechukwu Ojeh
- University Librarian - Dr. Ezema Ifeanyi Jonas
Notable alumni edit
- Chigozie Atuanya, Nigerian actor, producer and entrepreneur
- Blossom Chukwujekwu, Nigerian actor
- Destalker, Nigerian comedian
- Sandra Ezekwesili, Nigerian Broadcast Journalist, Radio Presenter, Public Speaker and Compere
- Osinakachukwu Ideozu, Nigerian businessman and People's Democratic Party politician
- Daniel Lloyd, Nigerian actor.
- Chima Obieze, Nigerian politician and lawyer
- Stephen Ocheni, Nigerian professor
- Mao Ohuabunwa, Nigerian politician, businessman
- Tessy Okoli, Provost of Federal College of Education (Technical), Umunze
- Nnamdi Okonkwo, chief executive officer/ managing director of Fidelity Bank Nigeria
- Chika Okpala, Nigerian comedian
- Lawrence Onochie, Nigerian pastor and public speaker
- Nkiru Sylvanus, Nigerian actress
- Dave Umahi, Governor of Ebonyi State
- Ejyk Nwamba, Nigerian Ogene musician
- "Through the years | University of Nigeria". Unn.edu.ng. Archived from the original on 8 July 2011. Retrieved 24 January 2014.
- "Enugu State University of Science and Technology". Uni24k. Retrieved 3 June 2021.
- "Enugu State @30: Situating Ugwuanyi, quest for equity and justice". Vanguard News. 27 August 2021. Retrieved 28 February 2022.
- Jannah, Chijioke (17 March 2017). "Why I created Anambra State - IBB". Daily Post Nigeria. Retrieved 5 July 2023.
- "ESUT-about-esut". www.esut.edu.ng. Retrieved 27 May 2020.
- "ESUT Admission List 2020/2021 and How To Check List Online". School News Portal. 29 March 2021. Retrieved 3 June 2021.
- "ENUGU STATE UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY, ENUGU ESUT". BusinessList.com.ng. Retrieved 3 June 2021.