This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2017)
The England national rugby sevens team competes in the World Rugby Sevens Series, Rugby World Cup Sevens and the Commonwealth Games. England's best finish in the Sevens Series is second place, which they have achieved four times, most recently in the 2016-17 season. They have once won the Rugby World Cup Sevens — the inaugural tournament in 1993.
|Union||Rugby Football Union|
|Top scorer||Ben Gollings (2,652 points)|
|Most tries||Dan Norton (354 tries)|
|World Cup Sevens|
|Appearances||6 (First in 1993)|
|Best result||Champions, 1993|
The England Sevens team has generated several notable sevens players. Ben Gollings holds the record for points scored on the Sevens Series with 2,652 points. Dan Norton holds the record for tries scored on the Sevens Series with over 350 tries as of April 2020. England's Simon Amor (2004) and Ollie Phillips (2009) have each won a World Rugby Sevens Player of the Year award.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (October 2018)
World Rugby Sevens SeriesEdit
England is one of the more successful teams in the World Rugby Sevens Series. They have finished in the top three nine times — behind only New Zealand, Fiji, and South Africa.
|2nd||4||2002–03, 2003–04, 2005–06, 2016–17|
|3rd||5||2001–02, 2004–05, 2008–09, 2010–11, 2011–12|
|5th||5||2006–07, 2007–08, 2009–10, 2017–18, 2018–19|
Rugby World Cup SevensEdit
|World Cup record|
Rugby X TournamentEdit
|Rugby X Tournament|
Europe Sevens Grand Prix Series
|Sevens GP record|
|2002–2010||Did not |
Note: In 2016, England did not enter a team in the Rugby Europe Grand Prix Sevens. Instead, Great Britain fielded a team.
World Series tournamentsEdit
England won the following legs of the World Rugby Sevens Series:
The following shows leading career England players based on performance in the World Rugby Sevens Series. Players in bold are still active.
- "World Rugby Sevens: All-time leading points-scorers". The South African. 2019-12-05. Retrieved 2019-12-09.
- "Record tries for Dan Norton but England face daunting quarter-final against South Africa at Dubai Rugby Sevens". The National. Retrieved 2019-12-09.
- "Ollie Phillips: ‘I was a rugby hero and record breaker, but I still suffered from imposter syndrome’", Telegraph, Guy Kelly, 5 November 2019.
- The Straits Times, 9 April 1973
- "New Zealand crowned men's RWC Sevens champions", World Rugby, 27 July 2018.
- World Rugby website, current as of 15 March 2020