Engineering an Empire is a television documentary miniseries that originally aired on The History Channel. The series explores the engineering and/or architectural feats that were characteristic of notable societies and cultures.
|Engineering an Empire|
|Presented by||Peter Weller|
|Narrated by||Michael Carroll|
|Music by||Michael Richard Plowman|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||14|
|Executive producer||Dolores Gavin|
|Running time||approx. 44–90 minutes|
|Production companies||Kralyevich Productions|
|Network||The History Channel|
|Release||September 13, 2005 –|
January 8, 2007
It is hosted by Peter Weller, who is most famous for playing the titular role in RoboCop (1987). When the series was made he had recently earned a master's degree in Roman and Renaissance Art at Syracuse University. The show started as a documentary about the engineering feats of Ancient Rome and later evolved into a series. It originally ran for one full season of weekly episodes.
Tracy Spurrier of the Archaeological Institute of America gave the episode "Egypt" a positive review and praised the show's live action and CGI reenactments of building the ancient monuments. However, she was disappointed about the absence of the Great Pyramids of Giza.
|Episode Number||Episode Name||Civilization||Original Air Date|
|1||Rome||Ancient Rome||September 13, 2005|
|2||Egypt||Ancient Egypt||October 9, 2006|
|3||Greece||Ancient Greece||October 16, 2006|
|4||Greece: Age of Alexander||Macedon||October 23, 2006|
|5||The Aztecs||Aztec||October 30, 2006|
|6||Carthage||Ancient Carthage||November 6, 2006|
|7||The Maya: Death Empire||The Maya||November 13, 2006|
|8||Russia||Russian Empire||November 20, 2006|
|9||Britain: Blood and Steel||British Empire||November 27, 2006|
|10||The Persians||First Persian Empire||December 4, 2006|
|11||China||Imperial China||December 11, 2006|
|12||Napoleon: Steel Monster||First French Empire||December 18, 2006|
|13||The Byzantines||Byzantine Empire||December 25, 2006|
|14||Da Vinci's World||Italian Renaissance||January 8, 2007|
- Dafoe, Taylor (12 October 2018). "Former Robocop Actor Peter Weller on How an Epiphany at a Picasso Show Motivated Him to Become an Art Historian". Art World. Archived from the original on 2023-10-02. Retrieved 16 November 2023.
In 2004 he enrolled at Syracuse University, earning a Master's degree in Roman and Renaissance Art, then he earned his PhD in Italian Renaissance art history at UCLA in 2013.
- Moreno, Jim H. (16 September 2010). "HISTORY Egypt: Engineering an Empire – PC Game Review". Armchair General. Weider History Group. Retrieved 5 March 2023.
- "HISTORY™ Egypt : Engineering an Empire". Slitherine Software. Archived from the original on 12 April 2011. Retrieved 5 March 2023.
- Emmys.com - Rome: Engineering An Empire
- Spurrier, Tracy (28 September 2006). "Ten Thousand Men, One Million Stone Blocks, and a Couple of Sleds". Archaeology Magazine. Archaeological Institute of America. Archived from the original on 2023-11-16. Retrieved 16 November 2023.