Encanto is an upcoming American computer-animated musical fantasy film produced by Walt Disney Pictures and Walt Disney Animation Studios to be distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. The 60th film produced by the studio, it is directed by Byron Howard and Jared Bush, co-directed by Charise Castro Smith and written by Bush and Castro Smith with songs written by Lin-Manuel Miranda.
|Music by||Lin-Manuel Miranda|
|Distributed by||Walt Disney Studios|
Encanto is scheduled to be theatrically released in the United States on November 24, 2021.
In November 2016, Lin-Manuel Miranda revealed that John Lasseter, the then-chief creative officer of Walt Disney Animation Studios, presented him an idea for an animated project alongside director Byron Howard. Miranda said that, while work on the project has already begun by then, it was still in very early stages of development.
On January 29, 2020, it was reported that Walt Disney Animation Studios is developing an animated film centered on a Latino family. Howard and Jared Bush, who previously co-directed Disney's Zootopia, are set to direct the project, while Clark Spencer and Yvett Merino Flores will produce the film. Bush is also set to write the screenplay alongside Charise Castro Smith.
On June 18, 2020, the tentative title was revealed to be Encanto. The project was also confirmed to be the film Miranda was talking about in 2016, and it was reported to be centering around a girl in a magical family. While initial reports said the film would be set in Brazil, Miranda stated on June 22, 2020, that it would actually be set in Colombia. The same day, it was also reported that Castro Smith will serve as co-director for the film in addition to co-writing the screenplay.
At the Disney Investors Meeting, it was officially confirmed and a clip was shown.
By June 2020, Miranda began writing the film's songs.
Encanto is scheduled to be released in the United States on November 24, 2021.
- Taylor, Drew (June 17, 2020). "New Disney Animation Movie 'Encanto' Reportedly Lands 'Moana' and 'Zootopia' Directors". Collider. Archived from the original on June 18, 2020. Retrieved June 19, 2020.
- Ethan, Anderton (18 June 2020). "Details on Disney's New Animated Movie 'Encanto' from 'Zooptopia' Directors Come to Light". /Film. Archived from the original on 20 June 2020. Retrieved 19 June 2020.
- "Lin-Manuel Miranda talks about 'Hamilton!' coming soon on Disney+ l GMA". Youtube. June 22, 2020. Archived from the original on July 10, 2020. Retrieved June 22, 2020.
- Buchanan, Kyle (November 15, 2016). "Lin-Manuel Miranda Reveals He's Making a Secret Disney Film". Vulture. Archived from the original on November 17, 2016. Retrieved November 16, 2016.
- Evans, Greg (June 22, 2020). "Lin-Manuel Miranda Confirms New Disney Animated Movie Set In Colombia". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on June 22, 2020. Retrieved June 22, 2020.