Encantadia (2016 TV series)
Encantadia is a Philippine television drama fantasy series broadcast by GMA Network. The series is based on a 2005 Philippine television series of the same title. It served as a reboot and the fourth television series in the Encantadia franchise. Directed by Mark A. Reyes, it stars Kylie Padilla, Gabbi Garcia, Sanya Lopez and Glaiza de Castro. It premiered on July 18, 2016 replacing Poor Señorita on the network's Telebabad line up and worldwide on GMA Pinoy TV. The series concluded on May 19, 2017 with a total of 218 episodes. It was replaced by Mulawin vs. Ravena in its timeslot.
|Based on||Encantadia (2005)|
by Suzette Doctolero
|Directed by||Mark A. Reyes|
|Creative director(s)||Roy Iglesias|
|Opening theme||"Tadhana!" by Bayang Barrios|
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|No. of episodes||218 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Winnie Hollis-Reyes|
|Camera setup||Multiple-camera setup|
|Running time||25-36 minutes|
|Production company(s)||GMA Entertainment TV|
|Original network||GMA Network|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)|
|Original release||July 18, 2016 –|
May 19, 2017
Four Sang’gres, Pirena, Amihan, Alena and Danaya — guard the gems that hold the power to maintain peace and harmony in the world of Encantadia. The sisters' bond is broken when Pirena discovers that their mother, is afraid of her desire to become the queen of Encantadia.
Cast and charactersEdit
- Main cast
- Glaiza de Castro as Pirena
- Kylie Padilla as Amihan
- Gabbi Garcia as Alena / Aquesha
- Sanya Lopez as Danaya
- Mikee Quintos as Lira / Milagros "Mila" Quizon / Kambi
- Kate Valdez as Mira
- Rocco Nacino as Aquil
- Ruru Madrid as Ybrahim / Ybarro
- Supporting cast
- Janice Hung as Ether
- Solenn Heussaff as Cassiopei-a / Mata / ancient deity / Cassiopeia's twin
- Diana Zubiri as LilaSari[a]
- Alfred Vargas as Amarro[b]
- John Arcilla as Hagorn
- Rochelle Pangilinan as Agane / Andora
- Neil Ryan Sese as Asval[c]
- Carlo Gonzales as Muros
- Pancho Magno as Hitano / Berdano
- Klea Pineda as Muyak
- Buboy Villar as Wantuk
- Cheska Iñigo as Mayca[d]
- Noel Urbano as Imaw's voice
- Daniel Dasalla Bato as Abog
- Recurring cast
- Inah de Belen as Deshna
- Phytos Ramirez as Paolo Carlos "Paopao" Aguirre[e]
- Arra San Agustin as Ariana / Amihan
- Marx Topacio as Azulan
- Rey Talosig Jr. as Emre's voice
- Zoren Legaspi as Emre
- Karl Avalon as Pirena's mashna
- Guest cast
- Marian Rivera as Mine-a
- Dingdong Dantes as Raquim[f]
- Sunshine Dizon as Adhara[g]
- Max Collins as Amihan I
- Dayara Shane as young Amihan / Cassandra
- Barbara Miguel as young Pirena
- JC Movido as young Danaya
- Althea Ablan as young Alena
- Chlaui Malayao as young Lira / Milagros
- Kariz Espiñosa as young Mira
- Jestoni Alarcon as Armeo
- Roi Vinzon as Arvark
- Barbara Miguel as teenage Pirena
- Angelu de Leon as Amanda Reyes-Quizon
- Ryan Eigenmann as Berto Reyes[h]
- Miguel Tanfelix as Pagaspas
- Alden Richards as Lakan
- Janine Gutierrez as Agua
- Julianne Lee as Alira Naswen
- Ken Alfonso as Gamil
- Ana Feleo as Ades
- Christian Bautista as Apitong
- Jaycee Parker as Asnara
- John Feir as Jigs
- Joanna Marie Katanyag as Choleng
- Rafa Siguion-Reyna as Enuo
- Betong Sumaya as Rael
- Leandro Baldemor as Dado Quizon
- Lindsay de Vera as Dina
- Carmen del Rosario as Rosing
- Kyle Manalo as Louie
- Arny Ross as Silvia Montecarlo
- Nar Cabico as Banjo
- Avery Paraiso as Kahlil
- Maureen Larrazabal as Lanzu
- Ge Villamil as Orthana
- Ermie Concepcion as Vita
- Ervic Vijandre as Icarus
- James Teng as Pakô
- Conan Stevens as Vish'ka
- Yuan Francisco as young Paopao / Paolo
- Vaness del Moral as Gurna
- Wynwyn Marquez as Helgad
- Edwin Reyes as Dagtum
- Rodjun Cruz as soul gem's spirit twin
- Migo Adecer as Anthony Montecarlo
- Eula Valdez as Avria
- Andy Smith as adult Anthony Montecarlo
- Tanya Gomez as Salome Aguirre
- Jake Vargas as Gilas
- Andre Paras as Wahid
- Joross Gamboa as Manik
- Ces Aldaba as Evades
- Mara Alberto as Kaizan
- Sheree Bautista as Odessa
- Jinri Park as Juvila
- Paolo Gumabao as Jamir
- Valeen Montenegro as Haliya
- Ian de Leon as Keros
- Lance Serrano as Memfes
On November 5, 2015, Felipe Gozon, the chairman and CEO of GMA Network Inc. announced during a GMA Network press conference that the remake of the 2005 fantasy series is part of the network's program line-up for 2016. On January 6, 2016, director Mark A. Reyes said that he would return as the director of the series. Suzette Doctolero, who created Encantadia remained as concept creator and head writer for the series. Encantadia was Doctolero's first head writing project with the network in 2005, and also served as her training for writing a fantasy story for the first time.
The series was first publicized during Marian Rivera's renewal of contract at GMA Network on February 16, 2016 where she was announced for the role of Mine-a. The following day, it was announced by director Mark Reyes in that the series was on pre-production. The first teaser of Encantadia premiered on February 14, 2016 featuring a snippet of the gems and the theme song. The first trailer was released June 11, 2016.
On September 15, 2016, the director stated that the retelling concluded after 43 episodes, and the 45th will be the start of the 2005's sequel, stating that "The retelling ends. And the sequel begins". He further added that it was not about 2005 version anymore, and new storyline will emerge on the series.
Marian Rivera plays the role of (Inang Reyna) Mine-a, the Queen of Lireo, (originally played by Dawn Zulueta). Rivera's husband, Dingdong Dantes, who played Ybarro in the original series plays the role of Raquim, prince of Sapiro (originally played by Richard Gomez). It serves as the comeback series of the couple after welcoming their first daughter and their last show together was My Beloved in 2012. Klea Pineda and Migo Adecer also join the cast as part of their prize after winning StarStruck VI.
On April 4, 2016, the four new Sang'gres of Encantadia were revealed live on 24 Oras. Amihan, the keeper of the wind gem, originally played by Iza Calzado, is now portrayed by Kylie Padilla. In the show's press conference, Padilla stated that being cast in Encantadia puts you as an "A-lister" in show business. Gabbi Garcia takes on the role of Alena, the keeper of the water gem, who was originally played by Karylle. Garcia stated that the series is her biggest break in the industry. She further stated, "...i’m not really gonna try to outdo but then, we’re not replacing them[...] just making a new, fresh version for the young audiences, for the generation now". Newcomer Sanya Lopez is Danaya, the youngest of the sisters and the keeper of the earth gem, played by Diana Zubiri in the original series. Lopez stated that having been compared to the original series was a big challenge for her, but in a positive way. Glaiza de Castro is the keeper of the gem of fire, Pirena, originally played by Sunshine Dizon. According to Doctolero, de Castro is the one and only choice for the role but she also auditioned for it. According to her, she watched and studied trainings from famous martial arts artists to get ready for the role. Other cast members including their roles also appeared after the announcement .
Sunshine Dizon, who played Pirena in the original series, revealed on May 6, 2016 that she takes part on the retelling-sequel of the 2016 series with a big but different character role, as Adhara. Meanwhile, Diana Zubiri who previously played Danaya is also cast as LilaSari.
A week before the show, Australian actor Conan Stevens, best known for his role on the American fantasy television series Game of Thrones, confirmed that he would join the cast in an unspecified role, which later on revealed as Vish'ka.
As the series progress, few special roles emerged; the first is Miguel Tanfelix who plays Pagaspas, a Mulawin with a mission to help the diwatas of Lireo. He played the same role 12 years ago on the series of the same name. The next would be Alden Richards, who will also play a Mulawin whose appearance has not yet been televised. In an interview with Manila Times, Richards said, "...11 years ago. I remember I watched the show with my family and I was so mesmerized with all the special effects. [...]When I learned that GMA was doing a ‘requel’ of Encantadia, I was really wishing to be a part of the show. That’s why when they told me that I have a role in the series, I was so happy...".
— Libiran, on how Encantadia costumes were made.
Encantadia's costume designer is Francis Libiran, a world-renowned and critically acclaimed designer in the Philippines who did an extensive research to come up with the designs. According to Libiran, his team brainstormed together with Encantadia's production team and watched old clips of Encantadia in YouTube to conceptualized the character's fashion sense. The gowns of the sang'gres and Ynang Reyna is more edgy and fashionable compared to the ruggedness/cocky-themed costumes in 2005. Each gown depicts the powers and personalities of each sang'gre while showing one thing that they have in common- Royal. The colors of their gowns match the colors of the gems that the Sang’gres are guarding. Just like in the original series, they wore elegant gowns when they were not in a battle. He further stated, "A normal gown usually takes us two months to create but since we had to consider the time, we assigned a dedicated team of craftsmen to produce the outfits in just 15 days." According to the cast, they went on a strict diet and fitness trainings to secure their shape suited for their exquisite gowns. The cast first appeared in costumes during "ToyCon 2016 Poplife Fan Xperience" at the SMX Convention Center, Pasay City on June 10, 2016.
According to a review by CNN Philippines, Encantadia lived up to its long-gestating hype. The introduction and the narration was a big step-up for the show compared to the first one. It further stated that the new iteration looks better than the original and paces itself well in terms of narrative and plot. CNN was also impressed with the fight scenes giving impressions that are being done on a grander scale. They also stated that the scenes have depth and CG backgrounds are rendered beautifully and looks a lot slicker and a whole lot darker, looking like something from the PC version of Skyrim which they expressed as a huge improvement after over a decade. Anthea Reyes of WheninManila.com was also impressed of the series stating: "...all of our childish fantasies have returned to primetime television and it’s come back bigger, better, and infinitely more awesome..." She also stated that "the writing team is using this opportunity to the fullest to solidify the myth, the plot holes, and the motivations of everything. The writers of the show were able to place meaning in an aesthetic choice made from way before and further enrich the story." She also noted that the details of characters costume, to the clarified presence of the nomadic soldiers post Sappiro-Hathoria war, up until the background music used per every shot were all world class. FHM Philippines also made a review of the show and states that the creators of the show made an effort to make a living and breathing world and they succeeded. They also imposed that even though it was heavily inspired by Hollywood fantasy movies, it has the FIlipino flavor adding its own twist. They also pointed out that one of the shows strengths is that it has its own unique story. FHM further stated that: "...Like the original that came 11 years before it, Encantadia gives audiences something new to watch when it comes to primetime programming. Finally, something to cleanse our palate from all the drama and romantic programs that we've grown accustomed to."
A review by Philippine Entertainment Portal stated that the show’s director of photography and cameramen were impressive for utilizing different creative camera angles and techniques as it contributed to the intensity and excitement in the scene. They also gave positive feedback to its musical scoring stating that "...One of the factors that contributed to Encantadia 2005’s success is its musical scoring, in fact, it was even commended in the Asian Television Awards for Best Original Music Score. This requel did not disappoint when it comes to this aspect. The musical scorer seemed to compose different pieces suited to each kingdom since each had its own theme[...]the modernized, upbeat version of "Tadhana" also inensified the fight scenes."
Because of the good ratings and the success of the show, Encantadia is slated or expected to have another season. This was hinted on few scenes in its finale showing Cassiopea's twin, who lives in the ice kingdom in the far northern part of Encantadia, seems to pose a threat to diwatas. This was attested further by an Instagram post of Director Mark Reyes that the finale episode is his "official statement".
According to AGB Nielsen Philippines' Mega Manila household television ratings, the pilot episode of Encantadia earned a 26.1% rating. While the final episode scored a 13.8% rating in Nationwide Urban Television Audience Measurement people in television homes.
|2016||Gawad Filipino Media People's Choice Awards||Best Fantaserye of the Year||Encantadia||Won|||
|Pinaka Mahusay na Actor sa Television||John Arcilla||Won|
|Pinaka Mahusay na Actress sa Television||Glaiza de Castro||Won|
|Anak TV Awards||Favorite TV Program||Encantadia||Won|||
|2017||31st PMPC Star Awards for Television||Best Drama Actor||Ruru Madrid||Won|||
|Best Drama Actress||Sanya Lopez||Nominated|
|Best New Male TV Personality||Migo Adecer||Nominated|
|Best New Female TV Personality||Mikee Quintos
|Best Child Performer||Yuan Francisco||Nominated|
|Apollo Awards||Best Visual Effects - Long-term Category||Encantadia||Won|||
|UmalohokJuan Awards 2017||TV Drama Program of the Year||Won|||
- Diana Zubiri previously played Danaya, now plays the cursed princess LilaSari.
- Alfred Vargas previously played Aquil and Amarro from Encantadia and Etheria, now reprises Amarro.
- Neil Ryan Sese previously played Viktu, now plays Asval, the evil Sapiryan prince.
- Cheska Iñigo previously played Galatea, now plays Mayca, one of the prisoners in Carcero.
- Phytos Ramirez previously played young Anthony from Encantadia, now plays the adult Paopao.
- Dingdong Dantes previously played Ybarro/Rama Ybrahim ng Sapiro, now plays Raquim, the father of Sang'gre Amihan and husband of Ynang Reyna Minea ng Lireo.
- Sunshine Dizon previously played Pirena, now plays evil Sang'gre Adhara.
- Ryan Eigenmann previously played Marvus from Etheria, now plays Berto.
- "Encantadia 2016 (Full Episodes) - YouTube". Retrieved February 16, 2018.
- "Encantadia". Retrieved April 2, 2018.
- Mariñas, Niza (April 4, 2016). "GMA Network reveals cast of 'Encantadia' requel". cebudailynews.inquirer.net. Cebu Daily News. Retrieved April 5, 2016.
- Catolico, Gianna Francesca (October 19, 2016). "Diana Zubiri returns to 'Encantadia' as LilaSari". Inquirer. Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved November 3, 2016.
- "Diana Zubiri returns to 'Encantadia'". Rappler. Rappler. Retrieved November 3, 2016.
- "Alfred Vargas back in 'Encantadia'".
- Lo, Ricky (June 11, 2006). "Bagets Forever". Philippine Star. Retrieved September 7, 2016.
- "Marian Rivera to star as Ynang Reyna in Encantadia 2016".
- Tuazon, Nikko. "LOOK: Dingdong Dantes, Marian Rivera reunite for Encantadia 2016". PEP.ph. Retrieved September 7, 2016.
- "Sunshine Dizon will be in 'Encantadia' 2016". Rappler. Rappler. Retrieved September 7, 2016.
- Belen, Walden. "Max Collins's short but sweet role in 'Encantadia'". Mb.com.ph. Manila Bulletin. Retrieved October 3, 2016.[permanent dead link]
- Garcia, Rose. "Max Collins rides dragon in Encantadia 2016 trailer; gives hint about her character". Philippine Entertainment Portal. PEP.ph. Retrieved October 3, 2016.
- "Jestoni Alarcon and Roi Vinzon in Encantadia". PEP. PEP.ph. Retrieved October 3, 2016.
- "Miguel Tanfelix, gaganap muli bilang Pagaspas ng 'Mulawin' matapos ang 12 years".
- "Paglabas ni Alden Richards bilang si 'Lakan' sa Encantadia, inabangan at pinag-usapan".
- "Janine Gutierrez, papasok na rin sa mundo ng Encantadia".
- "Encantadia: Winwyn Marquez bilang Helgad". Archived from the original on January 16, 2017. Retrieved January 13, 2017.. video.genfb.com
- Acar, Aedrianne (November 6, 2015). "'Encantadia' set to open again its kingdom in 2016?". GMANetwork.com. GMA Network. Retrieved March 29, 2016.
- Noguera, Al Kendrick (January 7, 2016). "Direk Mark Reyes, naghahanda na para sa 'Encantadia'". GMANetwork.com. GMA Network. Retrieved March 29, 2016.
- Noguera, AL. "Concept creator Suzette Doctolero, ipinakilala ang bagong characters sa 'Encantadia' 2016". GMA Network. Retrieved September 7, 2016.
- Noguerra, Al. "Suzette Doctolero reveals 'Encantadia' was her first telefantasya project". GMA Network. Retrieved September 7, 2016.
- Torres, Rap (February 16, 2016). "Marian Rivera to play 'Ynang Reyna' in 'Encantadia' 2016 remake". Manila Bulletin. Manila Bulletin. Archived from the original on May 18, 2016. Retrieved October 2, 2016.
- "Encantadia, nasa pre-production na". GMA News Online. GMA Network. Retrieved October 2, 2016.
- "Ang Brilyante ng Apoy teaser". GMA Network. GMA Network. Retrieved October 2, 2016.
- "WATCH: Official trailer ng 'Encantadia' 2016". GMANetwork.com. GMA Network. November 6, 2015. Retrieved June 11, 2016.
- Ilaya, Felix. "LOOK: Direk Mark Reyes on the future of Encantadia". GMA Network. GMA Network. Retrieved September 16, 2016.
- Anarcon, James Patrick. "Encantadia director hints a new chapter". Philippine Entertainment Portal. PEP.ph. Retrieved September 16, 2016.[permanent dead link]
- Dabu, Bianca Rose (February 16, 2016). "Marian Rivera to star as Ynang Reyna in Encantadia 2016". GMANetwork.com. GMA News Online. Retrieved March 29, 2016.
- Dimaculangan, Jocelyn (February 16, 2016). "Marian Rivera confirmed to be part of Encantadia; who will be her co-stars?". PEP.ph. Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved March 29, 2016.
- Dizon, Irish Christiane (April 23, 2016). "Avisala, bitches". Philippine Star. Philippine Star. Philippine Star. Retrieved September 29, 2016.
- "Meet the 4 new sang'gres of the 'Encantadia' 2016 reboot". rappler.com. Rappler. April 4, 2016. Retrieved April 4, 2016.
- Tantiangco, Aya (May 6, 2016). "Original Sang'gre Sunshine Dizon returns to 'Encantadia'". GMANetwork.com. GMA News Online. Retrieved May 7, 2016.
- Calderon, Nora. "Diana Zubiri, nag-trending nang ipakilala sa 'Encantadia'". Balita. Balita. Retrieved November 3, 2016.
- "Diana Zubiri, ibinahagi ang paghahandang ginawa sa kaniyang pagbabalik sa 'Encantadia'". GMA Network. Retrieved November 3, 2016.
- "'Game of Thrones' actor joins 'Encantadia' 2016". Rappler. July 10, 2016. Retrieved July 12, 2016.
- Miguel Tanfelix, gaganap muli bilang Pagaspas ng 'Mulawin' matapos ang 12 years GMA Network. Retrieved July 9, 2016
- Anarcon, James Patrick. "Miguel Tanfelix reprises role as Mulawin Pagaspas in Encantadia 2016". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved September 7, 2016.
- "Alden Richards, sasamahan si Miguel Tanfelix sa 'Encantadia' bilang 'Mulawin'". GMA News Online. Retrieved September 7, 2016.
- Alden joins ‘Encantadia’ admits missing Maine Lhar Santiago, Manila Times. Retrieved July 9, 2016
- Jocom, Bea. "Francis Libiran Talks About the New and Improved Encantadia Costumes". Preview. Preview. Retrieved October 8, 2016.
- "Gowns ng mga Sang'gre ng 'Encantadia,' sinaliksik ni Francis Libiran". GMA Network. GMA Network. Retrieved October 8, 2016.
- Abando, Paulo (May 23, 2016). "Sang'gres in Libiran gowns". Manila Bulletin. Manila Bulletin. Retrieved October 8, 2016.
- Anarcon, James Patrick. "Francis Libiran designs costumes for Encantadia Sang'gres". PEP. PEP.ph. Retrieved October 8, 2016.
- Policarpio, Allan. "4 protectors of Encantadia's gems revealed". Inquirer. Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved October 8, 2016.
- Noguerra, Al Kendrick. "LOOK: 'Encantadia' Sang'gres' first photo in their Francis Libiran costumes". GMA Network. GMA Network. Retrieved October 8, 2016.
- Manlangit, Shinji (July 19, 2016). "Review: 'Encantadia' returns" (Entertainment). CNN Philippines. CNN Philippines. Retrieved September 7, 2016.
- Reyes, Anthea. "WhenInManila.com Reviews the New Encantadia: Behold the Upgrades". When In Manila. Retrieved September 7, 2016.
- Dela Cruz, Rey. "5 Things We Like About The New Encantadia". FHM Philippines. FHM Philippines. Archived from the original on September 13, 2016. Retrieved September 7, 2016.
- Anarcon, James Patrick. "Encantadia 2016 SNEAK PEEK: Five highlights to look forward to in pilot episode". PEP.ph. Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved September 7, 2016.
- Ching, Mark Angelo (January 1, 2017). "AGB: 10 Top-rating Pilot and Finale Primetime episodes in 2016". Retrieved January 24, 2018.
- "May 19 (Fri) TV Ratings / AGB Nielsen / NUTAM People in TV Homes (Evening)". Archived from the original on August 22, 2017. Retrieved October 2, 2017. Retrieved 2017-05-22.
- "Glaiza de Castro, John Arcilla and 'Encantadia' win Gawad Filipino Media People's Choice Awards". GMA Network. GMA Network. Retrieved December 16, 2016.
- Ta-as, Apple (December 9, 2016). "Glaiza de Castrom John Arcilla, 'Encantadia' victorious at Gawad Filipino Media People's Choice awards". Cebu Daily News (Cebu Daily News). Philippine Daily Inquirer. Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved December 16, 2016.
- Ruiz, Marah. "'Encantadia' and other GMA shows gain the Anak TV seal". GMA Network. GMA Network. Retrieved December 16, 2016.
- Soriano, Gia Allana. "IN PHOTOS: Kapuso winners at the 31st PMPC Star Awards for Television". www.gmanetwork.com. Retrieved November 16, 2017.
- "Apollo Awards 2017 Winners". On Screen Asia. Apollo Awards. Retrieved May 26, 2017.
- "'Encantadia,' tumanggap ng parangal sa Apollo Awards sa Singapore". GMA Network. GMA Network. Retrieved May 26, 2017.
- Rodriguez, Bea. "GMA at shows nito, big winner sa UmalohokJuan Awards 2017". GMA Network. GMA Network. Retrieved March 4, 2017.