Emrah Safa Gürkan
Emrah Safa Gürkan (born 16 January 1981) is a Turkish historian and academic.
Emrah Safa Gürkan
|Born||16 January 1981|
Değirmendere, Gölcük, Turkey
|Alma mater||Georgetown University |
|Doctoral advisor||Halil İnalcık, Gábor Ágoston|
|Sub-discipline||Ottoman History |
Having received his B.A. in International Relations at Bilkent University (2003), Gürkan wrote his M.A. thesis entitled Ottoman Corsairs in the Western Mediterranean and Their Place in the Ottoman-Habsburg Rivalry, 1505-1535 with Halil Inalcık (2006). He then moved to Georgetown University where he completed his Ph.D. with a dissertation on early modern espionage (Espionage in the 16th Century Mediterranean: Secret Diplomacy, Mediterranean Go-Betweens and the Ottoman-Habsburg Rivalry, 2012).
Combining archival and other primary sources in Ottoman, French, Italian, English, Spanish, German, Latin, Catalan, Portuguese and Persian, Gürkan studies early modern Mediterranean with a focus on espionage, piracy, slavery, religious conversion, naval technology and the relationship between the Ottoman Empire and the West. He wrote a number of articles in English, Turkish, Italian, Spanish and German as well as two scientific monographs, the first of which received Scientific Monograph of the Year Award from the Turkish Academy of Sciences (TÜBA). Gürkan also received Outstanding Young Scientist Award from the same institution and Promising Scientist Award at the 14th Kadir Has Awards.
Gürkan has prepared several popular history programmes on YouTube, worked as historical consultant to TV series Fatih and Rise of Empires: Ottoman. He also founded in 2011, with Chris Gratien, the Ottoman History Podcast, a webpage that released more than 400 interviews in four languages with leading academicians around the world.
- Bunu Herkes Bilir: Tarihteki Yanlış Sorulara Doğru Cevaplar (Everybody Knows It: Right Answers to Wrong Questions in History, İstanbul: Kronik, 2020)
- Sultanın Korsanları: Osmanlı Akdenizi’nde Gazâ, Yağma ve Esaret, 1500 – 1700 (Pirates for the Sultan: Holy War, Booty and Slavery in the Ottoman Mediterranean, 1500 – 1700, İstanbul: Kronik, 2018)
- Sultanın Casusları: 16. Yüzyılda İstihbarat, Sabotaj ve Rüşvet Ağları (Spies for the Sultan: Intelligence, Sabotage and Bribery in the 16th century, İstanbul: Kronik, 2017)
- Hungarian translation: A Szultán Kémei: Oszmán hírszerzési módszerek és ügynökhálózatok a 16. században, trans. Pál Laura (Budapest: Gondolat Kiadó, 2020)
- Osmanlı İstanbulu: Uluslararası Osmanlı İstanbulu Sempozyumu Bildirileri (Istanbul: İstanbul 29 Mayıs Üniversitesi Yayınları, 2014–2018), 5 vol., with Feridun Emecen and Ali Akyıldız.
- Gürkan, Emrah Safa (2006). Ottoman Corsairs in the Western Mediterranean and Their Place in the Ottoman-Habsburg Rivalry, 1505-1535 (PDF). Ankara: The Institute of Economics and Social Sciences, Bilkent University.
- Gürkan, Emrah Safa (2012). Espionage in the 16th century Mediterranean: Secret Diplomacy, Mediterranean Go-Betweens and the Ottoman-Habsburg Rivalry. Washington, D.C.: Faculty of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, Georgetown University.
- "Akademisyenlerimize (TÜBA) Bilimsel Telif Eser Ödülleri". Archived from the original on 4 July 2019. Retrieved 2 December 2020.
- "TÜBA 2018 Üstün Başarılı Genç Bilim İnsanı ve Bilimsel Eser Ödülleri Açıklandı". Archived from the original on 17 December 2018. Retrieved 2 December 2020.
- "14. Kadir Has Ödülleri Sahiplerini Buldu". 22 March 2018. Archived from the original on 10 July 2020. Retrieved 8 July 2020.