Emilie of Saxony
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2018)
Emilie of Saxony (27 July 1516 – 9 April 1591) was the third wife of Margrave George the Pious of Brandenburg-Ansbach. Since his two earlier wives died before his accession, she was the only one to enjoy the title Margravine.
|Emilie of Saxony|
|Margravine of Brandenburg-Ansbach|
|Born||27 July 1516|
|Died||9 April 1591 (aged 74)|
(m. 1533; died 1543)
|Issue||Sophie, Duchess of Legnica|
Dorothy Catherine, Burgravine of Meissen
George Frederick, Margrave of Brandenburg-Ansbach
|Father||Henry IV, Duke of Saxony|
|Mother||Catherine of Mecklenburg|
On 25 August 1533 she married the much older George of Brandenburg, the future Margrave of Brandenburg-Ansbach, who had been recognized as the duke of Silesia. He also administered Brandenburg-Kulmbach on behalf of Albert, the son of his deceased brother Casimir. The marriage produced the heir he had hoped for: George Frederick, later Margrave of Brandenburg-Ansbach.
After the death of her husband in 1543, Emilie was the legal guardian of her minor son George Frederick until 1556. She provided him with his profound and humanistic education. However, the regency of Brandenburg-Ansbach was administered jointly by the reigning Electors of Saxony, Electors of Brandenburg, and the Landgrave of Hesse, Philip I.
Her children with George were the following
- Sophie (1535–1587)
- married in 1560 Duke Henry XI of Legnica (1539–1588)
- Barbara (1536–1591)
- Dorothy Catherine (1538–1604)
- married in 1556 Henry V, Burgrave of Plauen, Burgrave of Meissen
- George Frederick (1539–1603), Margrave of Brandenburg-Ansbach
|Ancestors of Emilie of Saxony|
- Siegfried Hänle (1878), "George Frederick (Margrave of Brandenburg-Ansbach and Brandenburg-Bayreuth)", Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB) (in German), 8, Leipzig: Duncker & Humblot, pp. 614–619 (mentioned in the article about her son)
- Marek, Miroslav. "wettin/wettin10.html". Genealogy.EU.