Embraco is a Brazilian manufacturer of compressors for refrigeration systems. It was founded in 1971 to supply the Brazilian refrigeration industry which, until then, relied entirely on imported compressors. Embraco began production in 1974. It was in this same decade that it began to export to other markets in the Americas.
|Headquarters||Joinville, Santa Catarina, Brazil|
|Products||Refrigeration compressors and condensing units|
Number of employees
In the 1980s, the sales and distribution structure reached over 80 countries. Anticipating a globalized economy, the company decided to set up production bases overseas.
Embraco employs approximately 10,000 people worldwide. The firm invests heavily in product design and manufacturing, and supplies large international household refrigeration OEMs as well as the biggest manufacturers of commercial refrigeration equipment.
Its headquarters and main factory is in Joinville, Santa Catarina, in the southern region of Brazil. Embraco also has factories in Italy (Riva presso Chieri), Slovakia, and China, as well as a business office in the United States. Embraco produces hermetic compressors, condensing units and sealed units, for domestic and commercial use.
In 2011, Embraco North America was fined by the United States Justice Department for $91.8 million for price-fixing in the market for compressors.
In 2018, Embraco will close the factory of Riva presso Chieri in Italy and move it in Slovak Republic. In April 2018, Whirlpool Corporation entered into an agreement with Nidec Corporation to sell Embraco for $1.08 billion.
- Embraco (in Portuguese). Joinville, Brazil: Embraco. 2008. ISBN 85-240-3919-1. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2008-02-22. Retrieved 2008-01-25.
- Sherman Act Violations Yielding a Corporate Fine of $10 Million or More. Wash., D.C.: U.S.Justice Dept. 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-27.
- (in Italian)La Repubblica
- "Whirlpool To Sell Embraco Business To Nidec For $1.08 Bln In Cash - Quick Facts". NASDAQ.com. 2018-04-24. Retrieved 2018-06-06.
- www.embraco.com — Embraco