Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future
Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future is Ashlee Vance's biography of Elon Musk, published in 2015. The book traces Elon Musk's life from his childhood up to the time he spent at Zip2 and PayPal, and then onto SpaceX, Tesla, and SolarCity. In the book, Vance managed to get regular interviews with Musk, those close to him, and those who were with him at the most important points of his life; Musk had no control over the biography's contents.
The Washington PostEdit
The Washington Post wrote that "the book is a tremendous look into arguably the world's most important entrepreneur. Vance paints an unforgettable picture of Musk's unique personality, insatiable drive and ability to thrive through hardship."
The New York TimesEdit
The New York Times reviewer wrote, "Mr. Vance delivers a well-calibrated portrait of Mr. Musk, so that we comprehend both his friends and his enemies. It's a book with many ancillary pleasures. Mr. Vance brings us up to date on the states of green energy and space launches. He also veers away from his subject just often enough, offering profiles of the frequently brilliant people who work alongside Mr. Musk. The best thing Mr. Vance does in this book, though, is tell Mr. Musk's story simply and well."
It was declared one of the best books of 2015 by The Wall Street Journal, NPR, Amazon.com, Fast Company and Audible. The book spent several months on The New York Times best-seller list and has been a best-seller throughout the world. It has been translated into 40 languages.
- ‘Elon Musk,’ a Biography by Ashlee Vance, Paints a Driven Portrait Archived 30 November 2016 at the Wayback Machine The New York Times, May 12, 2015
- McFarland, Matt (11 May 2015). "The 22 most memorable quotes from the new Elon Musk book, ranked". The Washington Post. ISSN 0190-8286. Archived from the original on 4 December 2017. Retrieved 8 December 2017.
- Garner, Dwight (12 May 2015). "'Elon Musk,' a Biography by Ashlee Vance, Paints a Driven Portrait". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Archived from the original on 30 November 2016. Retrieved 8 December 2017.
- 9 December 2015. "WSJ's Best Books of 2015 - WSJ.com". The Wall Street Journal. Archived from the original on 13 September 2018. Retrieved 13 September 2018.
- Cohen, Nicole; Friedman, Rose; Mayer, Petra; Novey, Beth (8 December 2015). "Best Books of 2015 : NPR". NPR. Archived from the original on 13 September 2018. Retrieved 13 September 2018.
- "Amazon.com: Audiobooks - Best Books of 2015: Books (Page two)". Amazon. Archived from the original on 13 September 2018. Retrieved 13 September 2018.
- Vanderkam, Laura. "The 10 Best Business And Productivity Books Of 2015". Fast Company. Archived from the original on 13 September 2018. Retrieved 13 September 2018.
- "Best of 2015". Audible. Archived from the original on 14 September 2018. Retrieved 13 September 2018.