Eleanor Claire Reeves (born 11 December 1980) is a British Labour Party politician, and Member of Parliament (MP) for Lewisham West and Penge. She is the sister of an MP, Rachel Reeves, and married to another MP, John Cryer.
|Member of Parliament |
for Lewisham West and Penge
|Assumed office |
9 June 2017
|Preceded by||Jim Dowd|
|Born||11 December 1980|
Beckenham, London, England
John Cryer (m. 2012)
|Relations||Rachel Reeves (sister)|
|Alma mater||St Catherine's College, Oxford|
Reeves grew up in Sydenham and was educated at Adamsrill Primary School and Cator Park Secondary School (now Harris Academy Bromley). She has a bachelor's degree in law from St Catherine's College, Oxford.
Reeves is an employment law barrister. She joined Labour at 15 and was vice-chair of the London Labour Party and a member of Labour's National Executive Committee. She is a supporter of Progress and Labour First.
She was elected for the Labour-held seat of Lewisham West and Penge at the 2017 general election, almost doubling the majority to 23,000.
She was appointed PPS to the Shadow Secretary of State for International Development in March 2018.
On 13 June 2018, Reeves and five other MPs resigned as frontbenchers for the Labour Party in order to vote in favour of remaining in the single market by joining the European Economic Area (EEA), defying party instructions to abstain.
- "Members' Names Data Platform query". UK Parliament. Retrieved 24 April 2019.
- "No. 61961". The London Gazette. 19 June 2017. p. 11776.
- "Former Labour official Ellie Reeves selected for safe seat in London". LabourList. Retrieved 8 June 2017.
- Forrester, Kate (8 October 2017). "17 From '17: Ellie Reeves On Her Journey Into Politics At A Young Age". HuffPost. Retrieved 3 October 2019.
- Hello (13 September 2007). "The legal eagle who left sisters scuppered". Yorkshire Evening Post. Retrieved 8 June 2017.
- Rampen, Julia (26 April 2017). "How Labour's power-brokers will divide up the party's safe seats". New Statesman. Retrieved 8 June 2017.
- Little, Mandy (28 April 2017). "Ellie Reeves to fight for Lewisham West and Penge seat for Labour". London News Online. Retrieved 8 June 2017.
- "The Year 2017 – alumni magazine for St Catherine's College, Oxford" (PDF). Retrieved 18 February 2019.
- Aweys, Suleega (3 March 2018). "Ellie Reeves MP for Lewisham West and Penge gets front bench promotion". East London Lines. Retrieved 3 October 2019.
- Culbertson, Alix (14 June 2018). "Six Labour MPs quit frontbench roles over key Brexit vote". Sky News. Retrieved 14 June 2018.
- Morris, Nigel (13 June 2018). "Six Labour frontbenchers resign in protest at Labour's Brexit position". i News. Retrieved 14 June 2018.