Ellen Andrea Wang
Ellen Andrea Wang (born 10 October 1986 in Gjøvik, Norway) is a Norwegian jazz musician (double bass and singer) and composer. She is the cousin of singer-songwriter Marthe Wang. Raised in Søndre Land, Oppland, she released her debut album, Diving, in 2014. She formed the band Pixel in 2010. Wang has toured with Manu Katché and Marilyn Mazur and has performed with Sting.
Ellen Andrea Wang
|Born||10 October 1986|
Gjøvik, Oppland, Norway
|Instruments||Vocals, double bass|
|Associated acts||Dag Arnesen, Pixel, Manu Katché, Marilyn Mazur|
Wang started playing the violin at a young age, but substituted an upright bass for the violin at the age of sixteen, and attended the Norwegian Academy of Music under guidance of the bassist Bjørn Kjellemyr. She is leading her own Ellen Andrea Wang Trio and the band "Pixel", is a driving force in the band "SynKoke", and is in addition part of the band Dag Arnesen Trio (2010 -). The gig by "Pixel" including drummer Jon Audun Baar, trumpeter Jonas Kilmork Vemøy and saxophonist Harald Lassen, was noted as "one of the most memorable moments" of the Match and Fuse Festival, by the Jazz magazine Down Beat.
At Oslo Jazz Festival 2013, Wang for the first time presented a band that bears her name Ellen Andrea Wang Trio. On the keyboards is Andreas Ulvo, well known from the "Eple Trio" and Mathias Eick's band. On the drums is Erland Dahlen, who collaborates with Nils Petter Molvær and Susanna Wallumrød among others. The trio play an innovative jazz with elements from the rock and pop world.
At Vossajazz 2014, she appeared within Ivar Kolve's Polyostinat experience. Here she performed with Norwegian elite musicians, and delivered an indulgent polyrhythmic and polyharmonic treat for the discerning ear.
Wang received the Kongsberg Jazz Festivals great musician price in July 2015. The prize is awarded to a musician who has a leading position on the Norwegian jazz scene.
Ellen Andrea Wang Trio
- 2009: Hokjønn (AIMSoundCity)
- 2011: The Ideologist (Kokeplate)
- 2012: Reminder (Cuneiform)
- 2013: We Are All Small Pixels (Cuneiform)
- 2015: Golden Years (Cuneiform)
- With Gurls
With Pastor Wang Quintet
- 2007: Blå Hymne (Wango Productions)
With The Opium Cartel
- 2009: Night Blooms (Termo)
With Dag Arnesen Trio
- 2010: Norwegian Song 3 (Losen)
- 2010: A Light Exists in Spring (NorCD)
With White Willow
With Lena Nymark
- Graham, Stephen (26 June 2012). "Match & Fuse Artists Light Up London". Down Beat. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- "Ellen Andrea Wang Biography" (in Norwegian). Nasjonaljazzscene.no. Retrieved 2 August 2013.
- "Oslo Jazzfestival 12. – 17. august 2013". OsloJazz.no. Retrieved 2 August 2013.
- "Ivar Kolve: Polyostinat". Vossajazz. Retrieved 13 April 2014.
- "Ellen Andrea Wang - Ferskt materiale fra fengende trio" (in Norwegian). Moldejazz.no. Retrieved 3 October 2014.
- "SynKoke + schnellertollermeier + Elliot Galvin Trio & Harald Lassen + Pixel". VortexJazz.co.uk. Retrieved 3 October 2014.
- "Match & Fuse returns to London". Marlbank.net. Retrieved 3 October 2014.
- "DNB-prisen til Ellen Andrea Wang". Ballade.no. 1 July 2015. Retrieved 1 February 2016.
- "Young Nordic Jazz Comets". Young Nordic Jazz Comets. Archived from the original on 21 September 2013. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- "Ellen Andrea Wang - Air / Follow Me (Single)". RadioLudo.no. Archived from the original on 20 February 2016. Retrieved 3 October 2014.
- Lindsay, Bruce (11 June 2012). "Pixel: Reminder (2012) Track Review". All About Jazz. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- "GURLS". Discogs.com. Retrieved 31 July 2018.
- "Ellen Andrea Wang Discography". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2 August 2013.
- "Beautiful Silence". Musical reviews. Grappa Music. Retrieved 21 December 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ellen Andrea Wang.|
| Recipient of the Kongsberg Jazz Award