Elizabeth Benjamin (journalist)
Elizabeth Benjamin (born c. 1972) is a reporter for Time Warner Cable News (TWCN), serving as the editor-in-chief of "State of Politics," a blog covering the politics of the state of New York, and as the host of the daily political news and interview show Capital Tonight. She has been employed with TWCN's predecessor YNN and NY1 since April 2011. Prior to this, she wrote a column for the New York Daily News, also covering state and city politics. Before her position at the News, she reported for the Albany Times-Union and blogged under its Capitol Confidential blog.
Benjamin currently appears as a political pundit on radio shows such as WNYC's the Brian Lehrer Show and on TV shows on channels such as CUNY-TV and NY1; in addition to her regular blog for TWCN, she also serves as a semi-regular columnist for the online publication Capital New York.
In 2013, she married Steven Smith, spokesman for the Albany police department. The two had met at a news conference earlier that year. Smith, then training for his first-ever triathlon, was directed towards Benjamin, a past Ironman participant who has a tattoo from that event on her leg. They began training together and eventually dating. New York's chief judge, Jonathan Lippman, officiated at the ceremony, held in Poughkeepsie.
- 2009 Hal Hovey Award 
- Meares, Joel (November 22, 2010). "The Biggest Fish in Albany?". Columbia Journalism Review. Retrieved 2013-03-11.
- "New York Daily News - NY Daily News - New York Daily News". nydailynews.com. Retrieved 2020-10-06.
- "Paterson's Secret Tax Plan Leaked on a Particularly Bad Day - Slideshow - Daily Intel". Intelligencer. Retrieved 2020-10-06.
- "Elizabeth Benjamin". Capitol Confidential. Retrieved 2020-10-06.
- Reyes, Nina (November 17, 2013). "Their Finish Line Is Down the Aisle". The New York Times. Retrieved January 26, 2015.
- "Governing Events". www.governing.com. Retrieved 2020-10-06.