Eliot Wolf (born March 21, 1982) is an American football executive and scout. He currently is a front office consultant for the New England Patriots of the National Football League. He is the former assistant general manager of the Cleveland Browns of the National Football League (NFL). Before that, he served in the Green Bay Packers' scouting department for 14 seasons.
|New England Patriots|
|Born:||March 21, 1982|
|High school:||Notre Dame Academy|
|College:||University of Miami|
|Career highlights and awards|
Wolf was born on March 21, 1982 in Oakland, California. He graduated from Notre Dame Academy in Green Bay, Wisconsin in 2000 and from the University of Miami in 2003. Wolf's father, Ron Wolf, was general manager of the Packers.
Wolf joined the Packers as a pro personnel assistant in 2004. He became assistant director of pro personnel in 2008 and assistant director of player personnel in 2011 before assuming his current position in 2012. On January 2, 2015, Wolf was promoted to director of player personnel. On March 21, 2016, Wolf was promoted to director-football operations. In April 2016, Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel and Brian Manzullo of the Detroit Free Press reported that Wolf was a candidate for the vacant Detroit Lions general manager position, but the Packers denied the Lions' request to interview him.
Following the final regular season game of the 2016 season the San Francisco 49ers fired general manager Trent Baalke, prompting sportswriter Ian Rapoport to highlight Wolf as a potential new general manager of the team. On January 3, 2017 Tom Pelissero of USA Today reported that the 49ers would interview Wolf for the general manager position.
Wolf has been described as on the "short list" of candidates for general manager positions around the NFL, including being in consideration for the position in Green Bay as the successor to Ted Thompson. That position was given to Brian Gutekunst on January 7, 2018.
- "Eliot Wolf". Green Bay Packers. Retrieved December 30, 2013.
- Matt Barrows (December 29, 2016). "On 49ers: Will the team pick from Ron Wolf's tree of GM candidates?". Sacramento Bee. Retrieved January 3, 2017.
- "Packers promote Wolf and Gutekunst". Packers.com. March 21, 2016. Retrieved January 3, 2017.
- Bob McGinn (April 23, 2016). "Packers GM Ted Thompson focused on retaining top executives". Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Retrieved January 3, 2017.
- Brian Manzullo (April 24, 2016). "Report: Packers' Eliot Wolf was Lions' first choice for GM". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved January 3, 2017.
- Ian Rapoport (January 1, 2017). "Eliot Wolf, Chris Ballard among potential GM candidates". NFL.com. Retrieved January 3, 2017.
- Tom Pelissero (January 3, 2017). "NFL coaching buzz: Latest on job openings, candidates". USA Today. Retrieved January 3, 2017.
- Kirk Larrabee (January 3, 2017). "Packers' Eliot Wolf to interview with 49ers, per reports". CBS Sports. Retrieved January 3, 2017.
- Albert Breer (December 15, 2016). "The General Manager Short List for 2017". MMQB. Retrieved January 3, 2017.
- Greg A. Bedard (December 29, 2016). "Blanket Coverage: Examining ideal coaching fits for NFL teams ahead of Black Monday". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved January 3, 2017.
- "Packers hiring Brian Gutekunst as general manager". NFL.com. Retrieved January 8, 2018.