An electronic symbol is a pictogram used to represent various electrical and electronic devices or functions, such as wires, batteries, resistors, and transistors, in a schematic diagram of an electrical or electronic circuit. These symbols are largely standardized internationally today, but may vary from country to country, or engineering discipline, based on traditional conventions.
Standards for symbolsEdit
The graphic symbols used for electrical components in circuit diagrams are covered by national and international standards, in particular:
- IEC 60617 (also known as British Standard BS 3939).
- ANSI Y32.2-1975 (also known as IEEE Std 315-1975 or CSA Z99-1975)
- IEEE Std 91/91a: graphic symbols for logic functions (used in digital electronics). It is referenced in ANSI Y32.2/IEEE Std 315.
- Australian Standard AS 1102. (Based on a slightly modified version of IEC 60617, Withdrawn without replacement with a recommendation to use IEC 60617)
Symbols usage is sometimes unique to engineering disciplines and national or local variations to international standards exist. For example, lighting and power symbols used as part of architectural drawings may be different from symbols for devices used in electronics.
Gallery of common electronic symbolsEdit
IEC-style trace junction
IEC-style chassis-ground symbol
Inductor with magnetic core (IEEE Std 315)
Loop antenna (IEEE Std 315)
American-style relays, SPST, SPDT, DPST, DPDT
Incandescent light bulb (as an indicator)
Moulded Case Circuit Breaker (MCCB)
Microphone (IEEE Std 315)
Ferrite bead ring (IEEE Std 315)
Gallery of historical electronic symbolsEdit
The shape of electronic symbols have changed over time. Some symbols were more prevalent in some countries. The following are historic electronic symbols that might be found in old electronic books and schematics.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Electrical symbols.|
- IEEE Standard American National Standard Canadian Standard Graphic Symbols for Electrical and Electronics Diagrams (Including Reference Designation Letters)
- International standard IEC 60617 DB Graphical symbols for diagrams
- Electrical Schematic Symbols
- Collection of Open Source Electrical, Pneumatic, Hydraulic and Electronic Symbols
- Circuit Symbols of Electronic Components
- Electrical & Electronic Drawing Symbols
- Collection of Electrical and Electronic Symbols
- Circuit Schematic Symbols
- Collection of Electrical and Electronic Schematic Symbols