Electoral district of Geelong West
Geelong West was an electoral district of the Legislative Assembly in the Australian state of Victoria from 1859 to 1985. It was located west of the city of Geelong, defined in the Victorian Electoral Act, 1858 as:
|Dates current||1859–1877, 1955–1985|
Bounded on the north and north-west by a line drawn at a distance of 2 miles from the north-western angle of the town reserve of Geelong, as a centre from the western shore of Corio Bay, near Cowie's Creek, to a road leading to the River Barwon; on the west by that road; on the south-west and south by the River Barwon; and on the east by the western boundary of the town reserve of Geelong and the shores of Corio Bay, including the reserve at the junction of the Barwon and Moorabool
Geelong West (along with Electoral district of Geelong East) was created when the four-member Electoral district of Geelong was abolished in 1859. Geelong West and Geelong East were abolished in 1877, replaced by a re-created 3-member district of Geelong. Geelong West was re-created in 1955.
|First incarnation (1859–1877, 2 members)|
|Member 1||Term||Member 2||Term|
|John Henry Brooke||Oct 1859 – Aug 1864||James Harrison||Oct 1859 – Sep 1860|
|Nicholas Foott||Nov 1860[b] – Sep 1868[d]|
|George Brown||Nov 1864 – Dec 1865|
|Richard Heath||Feb 1866 – Dec 1867|
|James Gattie Carr||Mar 1868 – May 1870||Graham Berry||Oct 1868[b] – Apr 1877|
|Robert de Bruce Johnstone||Jul 1870[b] – Apr 1877|
- [d] Foott died 24 September 1868, replaced by Graham Berry in October 1868.
- Johnstone and Berry went on to represent the re-created Geelong from 1877.
|Second incarnation (1955–1967)|
|Max Gillett||Liberal and Country||1958–1964|
|Third incarnation (1976–1985)|
- Electoral districts of Geelong West and Geelong, 1956 Map at State Library of Victoria
- "Re-Member (Former Members)". State Government of Victoria. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- "An Act to alter the Electoral Districts of Victoria and to increase the number of Members of the Legislative Assembly thereof" (PDF). 1858. Retrieved 24 April 2013.
- "Geelong West Election". The Ballarat Star. 17 October 1868. p. 2.