Eleanor Henrietta Hull (15 January 1860 – 13 January 1935) was a writer, journalist and scholar of Old Irish.
Eleanor Henrietta Hull
Eibhlín Ní Choill
|Born||January 15, 1860|
|Died||January 13, 1935(aged 74)|
Hull was born in England, of a County Down family, the daughter of Edward Hull. She was educated at Alexandra College, Dublin and was a student of Irish Studies. On 26 April 1898 she was a co-founder of the Irish Texts Society for the publication of early manuscripts. Douglas Hyde was President, Frederick York Powell was Chairman, and Norma Borthwick and Eleanor Hull were the secretaries. Hull was honorary secretary for nearly thirty years.
She was president of the Irish Literary Society.
She died in Wimbledon, England on 13 January 1935, two days shy of her 75th birthday.
Her published works include:
- Hull, Eleanor, ed. (1898), The Cuchullin Saga in Irish Literature
- Hull, Eleanor (1904), The Boys' Cúchullain
- Hull, Eleanor (1904), "Pagan Ireland", Epochs of Irish History, no. I
- Hull, Eleanor (1905), "Early Christian Ireland", Epochs of Irish History, no. II
- Hull, Eleanor (1906), A Text Book of Irish Literature, vol. Part I
- Hull, Eleanor (1906), A Text Book of Irish Literature, vol. Part II
- Hull, Eleanor (1911), Cuchulain, the hound of Ulster
- Hull, Eleanor (1912), The Poem-Book of the Gael
- Hull, Eleanor (1913), The Northmen in Britain
- Hull, Eleanor (1931) , A History of Ireland and her People , 2 volumes
- Hull, Eleanor (1929), Folklore of the British Isles
She wrote the English versification for the Irish hymn "Rop tú mo baile" in 1912, known as the hymn Be Thou My Vision.
- Norman Vance (2004). "Hull, Eleanor Henrietta [Eibhlín Ní Choill] (1860–1935)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography.
- "Eleanor Henrietta Hull". Cambridge University Press. Retrieved 22 November 2017.
- The Origins of the Irish Texts Society, HistoryIreland.com, retrieved 8 July 2015
- "Eleanor Henrietta Hull (1860 - 1935)", Dictionary of Ulster Biography
- Marett, R.R. (1935), "Eleanor Hull", Folklore (Obituary), 46 (1): 76–77, doi:10.1080/0015587X.1935.9718584
- Riggs, Pádraigín (2015), "Eleanor Hull (1860–1935): Her Background and Contribution to Irish Learning and the Irish Texts Society", ITS Occasional Lectures, vol. 2, ISBN 978-0957566156