El Mostrador is a Chilean online newspaper, founded on 1 March 2000. Its current director is Federico Joannon Errázuriz.
|El primer diario digital de Chile|
|Owner(s)||La Plaza S.A.|
|President||Germán Olmedo Acevedo|
|Founded||1 March 2000|
|Headquarters||Av Providencia #223|
El Mostrador was launched on 1 March 2000 and is Chile's first exclusively digital newspaper. On 20 November 2001, part of its journalistic content was paywalled, but in 2007 it was reopened, completely free of charge. As of 2012, its historical databases are also free and open access.
In 2003, it became Chile's first digital newspaper to be recognized as such by the Superintendency of Securities and Insurance, that is, it has a status similar to that of the printed press published on paper, including the power to publish legal notices. The paper press media, led by El Mercurio, filed an appeal for protection before the Santiago Court of Appeals to reverse that decision, which was dismissed by both that court and the Supreme Court in the second instance, setting an important precedent in the matter.
On 25 May 2010 the newspaper launched an online television channel, El Mostrador TV. This is currently transmitted by a digital television signal on channel 26 within the ring of Américo Vespucio Avenue in Santiago.
El Mostrador is owned by La Plaza S.A. Its president is Germán Olmedo Acevedo, while its vice president is Federico Joannon Errázuriz. The journalistic director is Héctor Cossio López and the deputy director is Iván Weissman.
The El Mostrador website is organized into the following sections:
- News: National and international news, editorials, and letters to the director, among others
- Markets: News from the economic field
- TV: Analysis, opinion, and cultural billboard in video format
- Culture+City: News from the cultural field
- Online Life: News from the technological field and the Internet
On 19 March 2010 El Mostrador published a report that linked the newly appointed governor of Bío Bío Province, José Miguel Steigmeier, with the inner circle of Paul Schäfer, ex-leader of Villa Baviera, and with supposed participation in money laundering. Faced with this information, Interior Minister Rodrigo Hinzpeter summoned Steigmeier to La Moneda Palace that same day, deciding after the meeting to revoke his appointment to govern Bío Bío.
On 22 April 2010 Mirko Macari left the directorship of El Mostrador due to his appointment as director of the newspaper La Nación. However, pressures from the Independent Democratic Union (UDI) made the government of Sebastián Piñera reverse the decision the following day. The return of Macari to his original post at El Mostrador was made public through a press release from the electronic medium published on 23 April, under the consideration that the previous withdrawal was a voluntary act and that the journalist satisfied "fully the standards of pluralism, independence, and quality that characterize El Mostrador."
- Jorquera, Juan; Palma, Juaquin (1 March 2000). "El Mostrador: el decano digital" [El Mostrador: The Digital Dean] (in Spanish). Museo de Prensa UDP. Retrieved 15 December 2017.
- Díaz Bustamante, Vanessa; Olguín Díaz, Freddy (2012). Blogs y medios digitales en Chile: nuevas maneras de informar [Blogs and Digital Media in Chile: New Ways to Inform] (PDF) (Thesis) (in Spanish). Santiago: Academy of Christian Humanism University. p. 27. Retrieved 15 December 2017.
- "Editorial: Inserciones de la A.N.P. contra la S.V.S.: tergiversan la realidad" [Editorial: Insertions of the A.N.P. Against the S.V.S.: They Distort Reality]. El Mostrador (in Spanish). 10 February 2004. Retrieved 15 December 2017.
- Inostroza, Marta (12 March 2004). "Edwards versus el ciberespacio" [Edwards Versus Cyberspace]. El Periodista (in Spanish). 3 (57). Retrieved 15 December 2017.
- Paz, Miguel (25 May 2010). "Ha nacido El Mostrador TV" [El Mostrador TV is Born]. miguelpaz.blogspot.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 15 December 2017.
- "Quiénes somos" [Who We Are]. El Mostrador (in Spanish). Retrieved 15 December 2017.
- Molina Sanhueza, Jorge (19 March 2010). "Gobernador del Bío Bío designado por Piñera ayudó a lavar dinero de la Colonia Dignidad" [Governor of Bío Bío Designated by Piñera Helped to Launder Money From Colonia Dignidad]. El Mostrador (in Spanish). Retrieved 15 December 2017.
- Covarrubias, Bárbara (19 March 2010). "Gobierno deja sin efecto designación de gobernador del Biobío tras acusaciones" [Governor Annuls Appointment of Governor of Bío Bío After Accusations]. El Mercurio (in Spanish). Santiago. Retrieved 15 December 2017.
- Olmedo Acevedo, Germán (22 April 2010). "Nuevo Director de El Mostrador" [New Director of El Mostrador]. El Mostrador (in Spanish). Retrieved 15 December 2017.
- Delgado, Felipe (23 April 2010). "Mirko Macari: 'A nadie en la política le importa lo que pase con La Nación'" [Mirko Macari: 'Nobody in Politics Cares What Happens With La Nación'] (in Spanish). Radio Biobío. Archived from the original on 29 April 2010. Retrieved 15 December 2017.
- Olmedo Acevedo, Germán (23 April 2010). "A los lectores de El Mostrador y a la opinión pública en general" [To the Readers of El Mostrador and to the Public in General]. El Mostrador (in Spanish). Retrieved 15 December 2017.