El Modena High School
El Modena High School, also known as called El Mo (or "ElMo"), is a traditional 4 year public high school located in the El Modena neighborhood in the eastern portion of the city of Orange in Orange County, California.
|El Modena High School|
3920 Spring St.
Orange, CA 92869
|Established||Opened September 1966, Graduated first class June 1968|
|Principal||Dr. Dustin Saxton|
|Website||El Modena High School|
The school celebrated its 50th anniversary during the 2016-17 school year. El Modena High is part of the Orange Unified School District and competes in the Century League.
A vanguard, used as the school's mascot, is a soldier in the foremost division or the front part of an army. Vanguards are the troops assembled in the front line when going into battle, which is why the school newspaper is titled The Frontline.
- Wrestling: CIF champions in 2000, 2003, and 2014.
- Softball: CIF champions in 2008
- Football: CIF champions in 1978, 1983,1984 and 2017
Marching band & ColorguardEdit
The El Modena Vanguard Marching Band and Colorguard compete in the AA Gold competition of the California State Band Championships circuit and play their field show every home game during half time. Previously they competed in the Western Band Association.
Winter Marching SeasonEdit
Once finishing Marching season, near the end of football's season, the band splits into three groups. The Vanguard Marching Band percussion section forms the Vanguard Percussion Ensemble. The Colorguard forms the El Modena Winter guard. These two groups, since some time after 1969, traditionally perform on a tarp inside of the basketball court or high school gym. The third group is the Concert Band, formed by the band and the percussion section. They play varied pieces such as soundtracks and scored originals and regularly perform through the winter and spring.
Yearbook- El Modena boasts a national award-winning yearbook titled Escena, which means "scene" in Latin. The yearbook is annually sent to a national competition and has received a Gold Standard award for its book in the year 2007. In 2011, El Modena's yearbook staff received 12 individual and group awards before the publication of their book even began.
- Ronnie Creager – pro skateboarder
- Mikey Day (1998) – actor, comedian, Saturday Night Live
- Freddie Freeman (2007) – MLB first baseman for Atlanta Braves
- Robby Gordon – professional race car driver
- Jeff Spek – NFL and USFL tight end
- Michael Terry (athlete) (1991) – Olympic and NCAA athlete, track and field
- Milo Ventimiglia (1995) – film and television actor
- Haylie Wagner - pro softball player
Domingo Ayala-YouTube personality
- "El Modena High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved October 11, 2018.
- El Modena Frontline student news site
- Whitehead, Brian (January 30, 2013). "Skateboarder rides into business world". Orange County Register. Retrieved April 10, 2014.
- Leal, Fermin (November 20, 2013). "ElMo High grad's words are live on Saturday night". Orange County Register. Retrieved April 10, 2014.
- Bowman, Mark (March 30, 2011). "Divergent paths bring pals together for opener". MLB.com. Retrieved April 10, 2014.
- Fryer, Steve (June 11, 2007). "Freeman a shot in the arm". Orange County Register. Retrieved April 10, 2014.
- Glick, Shav (January 20, 1990). "Gordon Opens Busy Year With New Ride". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved April 10, 2014.
- "Milo Ventimiglia". Wizard World. Retrieved April 10, 2014.