El Capitan High School
El Capitan High School (commonly known as El Cap) is a public high school in Lakeside, California, United States, a census-designated place in San Diego, and serves students in grades nine through twelve. Opened in 1959, El Capitan is the fifth of twelve high schools to be constructed in the Grossmont Union High School District. El Capitan High School is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
|El Capitan High School|
10410 Ashwood Street
|Type||Comprehensive Public High School|
|Motto||Spanish: Ahora Y Siempre|
("Now and Always")
|School district||Grossmont Union High School District|
|NCES District ID||0616230|
|NCES School ID||061623002019|
|International students||Average about 5 per year.|
|Average class size||30|
|Color(s)||Black and gold|
|Accreditation||Western Association of Schools and Colleges|
|Newspaper||The El Capitan Horizon|
El Capitan High School is the only high school in the Grossmont district to include an agriculture program.
The GLLP was established as a continuum for language immersion students, who have been enrolled in Spanish or Chinese since kindergarten. Students in the program take two years of advanced language per year for the duration for their high school journey. Many are on the triliteracy pathway; "majoring" in Spanish and "minoring" in Chinese. The GLLP promotes global competency for all students and encourages international exchanges and communication.
What do you get when you combine enthusiastic high school teachers and their students, scientists excited about their research, and rapid prototyping technology? SMART (Students Modeling A Research Topic) and MAPS (Modeling A Protein Story) Teams!
El Capitan High School's SMART/MAPS team was established in 2008. In these multi-faceted programs, students develop teamwork as they delve into the molecular world, explore science as a process and not just a collection of facts, and work to understand and model the structure-function relationship of a protein story. Trained in computer visualization software, the teams design and build 3D models of their proteins to help tell their specific research story. Finally, they create oral presentations explaining their work to a lay audience and a poster to present to a scientific audience. The National SMART Team program is available to teams outside of the Milwaukee-metro area, including Wisconsin and across the U.S. The newest addition to this program is MAPS, this program allows teams of students and teachers to model the unique structure-function relationships of a protein and develop a research question to explore. With additional support from their high school teachers, who themselves received special training, and SMART/MAPS program coordinator, students explore the molecular world and experience science as a process and not just a collection of facts.
The school fields teams in the following sports:
- water polo
- cross country
- American football
- field hockey
- soccer (football)
- track and field
The 2014 season was El Capitan's best season in school history. After an upset victory against Helix High School, a Division 1 team, it pulled off an undefeated regular season as 10–0. Storming past Mt. Carmel and Brawley, the school would win its first CIF San Diego Section Division II Championship in a 14–7 victory against Rancho Bernardo High School. El Capitan lost to Campolindo 28-35 in the 2014 CIF Division III State Championship.
- Jeff Byrd, 1974, former Major League Baseball Pitcher (MLB) Toronto Blue Jays
- Delanie Gourley, softball prodigy
- Matt LaChappa, minor league pitcher for the San Diego Padres
- Ryan Lindley, quarterback for the Arizona Cardinals
- Nic Long, 2-time United States Olympic Team (BMX Cycling) 2012 London, 2016 Rio
- Jaime Preciado, bass player for Pierce The Veil
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Grossmont Union High". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved Sep 6, 2012.
- "Search for Public Schools - El Capitan High (061623002019)". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved Sep 6, 2012.
- "El Capitan High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved February 14, 2019.
- "Accrediting Commission for Schools, Western Association of Schools & Colleges - ACS WASC - Directory of Schools". Archived from the original on 9 November 2014. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "School spotlight: El Capitan High School". U-T San Diego. February 28, 2008. Retrieved 6 September 2012.
- "El Capitan High School Athletics". guhsd.net. Retrieved 18 October 2014.
- Maffei, John (November 10, 2014). "El Capitan moves up preps FB rankings". UTSanDiego.com. U-T San Diego. Retrieved April 8, 2015.
- Kenney, Kirk (December 20, 2014). "El Capitan loses a heartbreaker". UTSanDiego.com. Carson: U-T San Diego. Retrieved April 8, 2015.