El Angel (film)
El Angel (Spanish: El Ángel) is a 2018 Argentine-Spanish true crime film directed by Luis Ortega. It was screened in the Un Certain Regard section at the 2018 Cannes Film Festival. It is inspired by the true story of Argentine serial killer Carlos Robledo Puch. It was selected as the Argentine entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 91st Academy Awards, but it was not nominated.
|Directed by||Luis Ortega|
|Produced by||Agustín Almodóvar|
|Written by||Luis Ortega|
|Edited by||Guillermo Gatti|
|Box office||$5.6 million|
Monica Castillo of Roger Ebert.com wrote that director Luis Ortega took liberties with the true story by reimagining Carlos as a gay psychopathic killer, despite a lack of any proof this was true in reality. She complimented lead actor Lorenzo Ferro’s performance as "eerily hollow and effectively scary" but said eventually "the character's eerie coldness leaves the movie feeling shallow." For The Canadian Press, David Friend said the actor's performance evokes "the demonic cuteness of Macaulay Culkin in The Good Son."
Kerry Lengel of Arizona Republic said, "Ferro really has created a fascinating screen character. He is, in a word, sexy, and not just for his androgynous beauty but for that supposedly masculine glamour of the daredevil, the outlaw who refuses to play by society’s rules."
- "El Angel". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 28 September 2018.
- "El Angel". The Numbers. Retrieved 21 November 2018.
- "Cannes Film Review: 'El Angel'". Variety. Retrieved 26 August 2018.
- "Luis Ortega thriller 'The Angel' finds French home". ScreenDaily. Retrieved 26 August 2018.
- "The 2018 Official Selection". Cannes. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- "Cannes Lineup Includes New Films From Spike Lee, Jean-Luc Godard". Variety. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- "Premios Oscar: El ángel representará a la Argentina". La Nacion. 26 September 2018. Retrieved 26 September 2018.
- Laing, Jamie (26 September 2018). "Argentina Selects Luis Ortega's 'El Angel' for Foreign Language Oscar Submission". Variety. Retrieved 26 September 2018.
- Castillo, Monica. "El Angel Movie Review & Film Summary (2018) | Roger Ebert". www.rogerebert.com. Retrieved 7 August 2019.
- Friend, David (15 September 2018). "Five movies you might've missed: Smaller standout Toronto film festival picks". CTV/The Canadian Press. Retrieved 8 August 2019.
- "'El Ángel' review: A notorious serial killer becomes a glamorous enigma". azcentral. Retrieved 7 August 2019.