El Alia Cemetery
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
El Alia Cemetery (Arabic: مقبرة العالية ) is a cemetery in a suburb of Algiers in the commune of Oued Smar in Algeria. The name "El Alia" means in Arabic which is high, but came from the surname of the donor of the land in 1928, Hamza El-Alia.
It comprises tombs of numerous Algerian notables and also has the graves of actors and actresses and other artists (opera singers, musicians, painters, sculptors, architects, writers, poets). It also includes the tombs of several scientists, academicians and sports people.
- Kateb Yacine, writer
- Colonel Amirouche, revolutionary fighter
- Lalla Fatma N'Soumer, important figure of the Algerian resistance movement
- Krim Belkacem, revolutionary fighter and politician
- Ferhat Abbas, political leader
- Warda Al-Jazairia, singer
- Abdelkader El Djezairi, religious and military leader
- Larbi Ben M'hidi, leader
- Mohamed Benameur, football player
- Ali Kafi, politician
- Smain Lamari, head of an Algerian intelligence service, the Department of Counter-Espionage and Internal Security
- M'hamed Benguettaf, actor and playwright
- Abderrezak Bouhara, politician
- Ahmed Ben Bella, socialist soldier, revolutionary and first President of Algeria
- Chadli Bendjedid, politician and third President of Algeria
- Houari Boumedienne colonel, military and politician, and second President of Algeria
- Djelloul Khatib, revolutionary fighter and public servant
- Ahmed Mahsas, politician
- Mahfoud Nahnah, politician
- Mostefa Beloucif, military
- Ali Tounsi, Chief of Algeria's national police force
- Abdelmadjid Aouchiche, founder of DNC/ANP and ex minister of the habitat
- Mohamed Hardi, politician
- Bachir Boumaza, politician
- Cherif Guellal, businessman and diplomat
- Lakehal Ayat, military general and politician
- Chérif Belkacem, politician
- "Le général Beloucif inhumé hier au cimetière d'El-Alia Décédé jeudi à l'âge de 70 ans – Liberté Algérie , Quotidien national d'information". Liberte-algerie.com. Archived from the original on 2014-03-03. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Abdelmadjid Aouchiche, le fondateur de la DNC-ANP, n'est plus Un parcours riche en expériences – Liberté Algérie , Quotidien national d'information". Liberte-algerie.com. Archived from the original on 2014-03-03. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "MémorialGenWeb complementter.php". Memorial-genweb.org. Retrieved 2014-03-25.