This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Genres||Death metal, black metal|
|Associated acts||Ewigheim, Transilvanian Beat Club, Eisblut, Marienbad, Panzerkreutz|
|Members||Michael "Blutkehle" Roth|
Michael "Bursche" Lenz
Franzi „Dr. Franzenstein“
Ronny "Yantit" Fimmel
|Past members||K. Matthes|
Michael "Der Hölzer" Brill
Sebastian "Berg" Morbach
Theresa "2T" Trenks
Daniel "DF" Fröbing
In English, Eisregen translates to "Ice Rain". By using morbid German lyrics unlike those of other bands of this genre, they got the attention of German authorities, causing the indexing of three of their albums.
Eisregen originally planned to disband after releasing a final album called "Menschenmaterial" (Human Resources, as in mineral/natural Resources, a dehumanizing reference to "spendable" humans), but announced that they will continue to work together.
Eisregen's old albums were more black metal influenced than the newer ones. The violin parts, now typical for the band, came with "Krebskolonie" (Cancer Colony), considered as their best album by many of their fans.
Unlike "normal" indexing (which means playing the songs in public, publicity and selling to minors are forbidden), "Krebskolonie" is not allowed to be sold at all in Germany ("Verbreitungsverbot"). The reason given was the lyrics, described as "grausam, menschenverachtend, frauenfeindlich und verrohend" (cruel, inhuman, misogynistic, brutalising). The band could not fight the indexing as their label Last Episode (which they left afterwards) did not inform them.
Interviews show the reasons giving for indexing differ from lyricist Michael Roth's intentions. As an example, an excerpt from the indexing report referring to the song "Futter für die Schweine" (translates to "food for the pigs"):
- "Dieses Lied weist daneben auch Bezüge zur Frauenfeindlichkeit auf. So ist der Sänger der Meinung, dass das Leben einer Prostituierten so gering zu schätzen sei, dass sie nur als Schweinefutter tauge" (translates to: "This song also contains misogynistic references. In the singer’s opinion, a prostitute's life has so little value that she is only fit to be pig food.")
Singer and lyricist Roth himself stated:
- „Die Menschheit nimmt sich prinzipiell immer viel zu wichtig und stellt sich eben immer an die Spitze der Nahrungskette […]. Es war einfach ganz interessant, daß man mal ein Wesen darüberstellt. Den Mensch eben auch mal zum Futter degradiert […]. Das Thema hab ich auch wieder bei ‚Futter für die Schweine‘ aufgegriffen, daß sich die Nahrungskette eben mal anders darstellt, als sie gemeinhin aufgefaßt wird. Die Geschichte ist aus einer ziemlich kranken und zynischen Sicht geschrieben.“ (translates to: "Mankind normally takes itself far too serious and sees itself as the top of the food chain [...]. It was interesting to put another creature there [...]. I used that topic for Futter für die Schweine and showed the food chain in different way than it is generally seen. The story is told from a quite sick and cynical view."; see External links)
This indexing report shows the singer and the narrator as one person although this not the same thing.
The indexing of the album "Farbenfinsternis" (Color Darkness), which was along with "Krebskolonie" one of their most important releases, inflicted a financial damage to "Eisregen". The album "Menschenmaterial", originally thought to be their sixth and last album, was not released. The band announced to release one more album called "Blutbahnen" (Bloodlines) before, as they found a new motivation to make music.
On February 1, 2007 their release "Wundwasser" (Water from wounds) was indexed due to "youth endangering and condemnable contents" although the band tried to stop the indexing by engaging their attorneys.
Ronny Fimmel founded a gothic metal band called Ewigheim in 1999 (Michael Roth and Theresa Trenks were featured as session musicians). Michael Roth and Michael Lenz play in a melodic death metal band called "Eisblut" since 2004, and Ronny Fimmel and Theresa Trenks founded Transilvanian Beat Club in 2005.
Although Eisregen were criticized for their horror and splatter lyrics, their songs also have a certain (morbid and humoristic) background and sometimes even deal with social or historical topics (e. g. "Schwarze Rose", "vom Muttermord", "Ripper von Rostow", "Eisenkreuzkrieger", "17 Kerzen am Dom") in a fictional way.
In order to circumvent the indexing rules, Eisregen retitle songs when playing them live. "Meine tote Russische Freundin" and "Futter für die Schweine" became "Meine schwedische Freundin" and "Nonnen für die Schweine". "Krebskolonie" (Cancer Colony) is often played as "Leprakolonie" (Leper Colony).
- Michael "Blutkehle" Roth (Vocals)
- Michael "Bursche" Lenz (Guitars, bass guitar)
- Franzi "Dr. Franzenstein" (Keyboard)
- Ronny "Yantit" Fimmel (Drums, electronics)
- K. Matthes (1997–1998) Bass
- Michael "Der Hölzer" Brill (1999–2000) Bass (Ex-HardHolz)
- Sebastian "Berg" Morbach (1996–1997, 2000–2005) Bass
- Theresa "2T" Trenks (1997–2006) Violin (Ex-Transilvanian Beat Club)
- Daniel "DF" Fröbing (1995–1999 and 2007) Keyboard
- Birgit Lages (2005–2006) Bass
- Jan-Vincent Simmen on Demo '95
- Promo 96 (Demo, 1996)
- Das Ende des Weges (The End of the Path) Demo (1996) (Limited to 333 copies)
- Fleischhaus (Butcher's Hall, lit. House of Flesh) (Vinyl, 1997) (Limited to 1000 copies)
- Zerfall (Decay) (1998)
- Krebskolonie (Cancer Colony) (1998) (Indexed)
- Leichenlager (Morgue, lit. Corpse Store) (2000)
- Fleischfestival (Festival of Flesh) (EP, 2000)
- Farbenfinsternis (Darkened Colours, lit. Colour Darkness) (2001) (Indexed)
- Lager Leipzig (Camp Leipzig) Video (2001)
- Zerfall Re-release (2004) (Bonus: Das Ende des Weges Demo) (Remastered)
- Wundwasser (lit. Wound Water) (Play on word "Mundwasser" (Mouthwash)) (2004) (Indexed)
- Hexenhaus (Witch's Cottage) (EP + DVD, 2005)
- Blutbahnen (Blood Trails) (2007)
- Eine Erhalten (Give It to Me, lit. Receive One) (EP, 2007)
- Knochenkult (Bone Cult) (2008)
- Bühnenblut (Stage Blood) (Live CD, 2009)
- Schlangensonne, (lit. Snake Sun) (Play on word "Schlangensohn" (Snake Son) in reference to Achilles) (2010)
- Madenreich - Ein Stück Rostrot (Kingdom of Maggots - A Little Rust-red) (EP, 2011)
- Rostrot (Rust-red) (2011)
- Krebskollektion (Cancer Collection) (Compilation, 2012)
- Todestage (Dates of Death) (2013)
- Flötenfreunde (Friends of Flutes) (EP, 2014)
- Brummbär (Brummbär) (EP, 2015)
- Marschmusik (March Music) (2015)
- Fleischfilm (Meat Movie) (2017)
- Satan liebt dich (Satan Loves You) (EP, 2018)
- Fegefeuer (Purgatory) (2018)
- Leblos (Lifeless) (2020)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Eisregen.|