Edward Strachey, 1st Baron Strachie
Edward Strachey, 1st Baron Strachie PC (30 October 1858 – 25 July 1936), known as Sir Edward Strachey, Bt, between 1901 and 1911, was a British Liberal politician. He was a member of the Liberal administrations of Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman and H. H. Asquith between 1905 and 1915.
The Lord Strachie
23 May 1912 – 25 May 1915
|Prime Minister||H. H. Asquith|
|Preceded by||The Lord Ashby St Ledgers|
|Succeeded by||The Lord Newton|
|Born||30 October 1858|
|Died||25 July 1936(aged 77)|
|Spouse(s)||Constance Braham |
Strachey was the eldest son of Sir Edward Strachey, 3rd Baronet, and Mary Isabella (née Symonds). John Strachey, journalist, and Henry Strachey, artist, were his younger brothers and the Labour politician John Strachey his nephew.
Strachey was returned to Parliament for Somerset South at the 1892 general election, a seat he held until 1911, and served under Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman and later H. H. Asquith as Treasurer of the Household from 1905 to 1909 and under Asquith as Parliamentary Secretary to the Board of Agriculture and Fisheries from 1909 to 1911. The latter year he was raised to the peerage as Baron Strachie, of Sutton Court in the County of Somerset. In 1912 he was admitted to the Privy Council and appointed Paymaster-General, a post he held until 1915. However, he not offered a ministerial post when the 1915 coalition government was formed, and never returned to political office.
Lord Strachie married Constance, daughter of Charles Bampfylde Braham, in 1880. He died in July 1936, aged 77, and was succeeded in his titles by his son Edward. Lady Strachie only survived her husband by a few months and died in December 1936.
- Kidd, Charles, Williamson, David (editors). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (1990 edition). New York: St Martin's Press, 1990,[page needed]
- "leighrayment.com House of Commons: Shankill to Southampton". Archived from the original on 8 October 2018. Retrieved 12 September 2009.
- "No. 28547". The London Gazette. 3 November 1911. p. 7952.
- "No. 28618". The London Gazette. 14 June 1912. p. 4303.
- Lundy, Darryl. "thepeerage.com Edward Strachey, 1st Baron Strachie". The Peerage.[unreliable source]
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Edward Strachey
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Lord Strachie
- Portraits of Lord Strachie at the National Portrait Gallery, London
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament for Somerset South
1892 – 1911
The Marquess of Hamilton
| Treasurer of the Household
William Dudley Ward
| Parliamentary Secretary to the
Board of Agriculture and Fisheries
The Lord Lucas of Crudwell
The Lord Ashby St Ledgers
The Lord Newton
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|New creation|| Baron Strachie
|Baronetage of the United Kingdom|
(of Sutton Court)'