Edward Joseph Adams
Edward Joseph Adams (born August 24, 1944) is an American prelate of the Catholic Church who has served in the diplomatic service of the Holy See since 1976. He has been the Apostolic Nuncio to Great Britain since April 8, 2017.
Edward Joseph Adams
|Apostolic Nuncio to Great Britain|
|Appointed||April 8, 2017|
|Other posts||Titular Archbishop of Scala|
|Ordination||May 16, 1970|
|Consecration||October 23, 1996|
|Birth name||Edward Joseph Adams|
|Born||August 24, 1944|
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America
|Motto||In Cruce Salus (In the Cross is Salvation)|
|Coat of arms|
Edward Joseph Adams
|Reference style||His Excellency|
|Spoken style||Your Excellency|
Adams was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (USA), on August 24, 1944. After his elementary education in Catholic grammar schools, he attended St. Joseph's Preparatory School, Villanova University, and Philadelphia's St. Charles Theological Seminary. He was ordained a priest on May 16, 1970, by John Joseph Cardinal Krol, the Archbishop of Philadelphia.
He graduated from the Pontifical Ecclesiastical Academy with a degree in canon law in 1976.
He entered the diplomatic service of the Holy See on 8 March 1976. He held positions in the office of the Secretary of State and in Rwanda, Kenya, Honduras, Ireland, Denmark and the Czech Republic.
Adams was appointed Apostolic Nuncio to Bangladesh and Titular Archbishop of Scala, on August 24, 1996. He was consecrated on October 23 of that year by Angelo Cardinal Sodano, the Papal Secretary of State. His principal co-consecrators were Anthony Joseph Cardinal Bevilacqua and John Patrick Cardinal Foley.
On February 22, 2011, he was appointed papal nuncio to Greece and on April 8, 2017, he was named to replace Archbishop Antonio Mennini as Apostolic Nuncio to Great Britain. Though his title names Great Britain, his role is that of ambassador to the United Kingdom, though he plays no role with respect to the Catholic Church in Northern Ireland.
It was reported in February 2019 that Archbsihop Adams received repeated requests to provide information to the UK's Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse. The nuncio did send a response via the Foreign and Commonwealth Office because that was the appropriate channel.
- "Rinunce e nomine, 22.08.2002" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. August 22, 2002. Retrieved October 24, 2017.
- "Rinunce e nomine, 03.09.2007" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. September 3, 2007. Retrieved October 24, 2017.
- "Rinunce e nomine, 22.02.2011" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. February 22, 2011. Retrieved October 24, 2017.
- "American archbishop appointed nuncio to Great Britain". Catholic Herald. April 10, 2017. Retrieved October 24, 2017.
... has been appointed the Holy See’s ambassador to Great Britain.
- "Rinunce e Nomine, 08.04.2017" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. April 8, 2017. Retrieved June 14, 2018.
Il Santo Padre ha nominato Nunzio Apostolico in Gran Bretagna...
- Lamb, Christopher (April 8, 2017). "Francis appoints American archbishop as Vatican nuncio to Great Britain". The Tablet. Retrieved June 14, 2018.
Archbishop Edward Adams was named to the role which requires him to be the Holy See’s representative to Government authorities in England, Wales and Scotland, while also playing a crucial role in the selection of bishops.
- "Diplomatic Mission: Apostolic Nuncio to Great Britain". The Catholic Church in England and Wales. Archived from the original on June 14, 2018. Retrieved June 14, 2014. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Bowcott, Owen (February 4, 2019). "Pope's UK envoy fails to respond to requests by child abuse inquiry". The Guardian. Retrieved February 4, 2019.
- "Deputy Foreign Minister I. Amanatidis meets with the Apostolic Nuncio of the Holy See in Greece" (news published at the website of the Embassy of Greece to the Vatican, dated May 17, 2017)
|Catholic Church titles|
as Titular Bishop of Scala
| Titular Archbishop of Scala
August 24, 1996–present
| Apostolic Nuncio to Bangladesh
August 24, 1996 – August 22, 2002
Paul Tschang In-nam
Peter Paul Prabhu
| Apostolic Nuncio to Zimbabwe
August 22, 2002 – September 3, 2007
| Apostolic Nuncio to the Philippines
September 3, 2007 – February 22, 2011
| Apostolic Nuncio to Greece
February 22, 2011 – April 8, 2017
Savio Tai Fai Hon
| Apostolic Nuncio to Great Britain
April 8, 2017–present