Edward Jones (English architect)
Edward Jones CBE
|Buildings||Royal Opera House, Saïd Business School, National Portrait Gallery|
After schooling at Haileybury Jones trained at the Architectural Association where he met his future architectural partner Jeremy Dixon. They formed an informal practice in the mid sixties, which Peter Cook referred to as "The Grunt Group" to promote the modernist agenda.
He has been professor of architecture in Europe and North America including UCD Dublin, Royal College of Art, the Architectural Association, and Universities of Toronto, Princeton, Harvard, Cornell, Rice.
He was in private practice from 1973 to 1989 in London and in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. In 1989 he co-founded the architectural practice Jeremy Dixon.Edward Jones with Jeremy Dixon, called Dixon Jones since 2003. In 1973 the pair came to the attention of the national press when their "Great Pyramid" competition winning scheme for Northamptonshire County Hall was exhibited in London.
In 2000, The Observer listed two of his practice's London buildings in the Top 10 Buildings of the Year: the National Portrait Gallery and the Royal Opera House. From 2002 to 2010 he was honorary professor at University of Cardiff. In 2001 he received an Honorary Doctorate from University of Portsmouth, and an Honorary Fellowship from University of Cardiff, and in December 2010 he received a CBE for services to architecture.
- Mississauga Civic Centre, Canada (1987)
- Darwin College Study Centre, Cambridge University (1993)
- National Portrait Gallery, London (2000)
- Royal Opera House, London (1999)
- Somerset House Masterplan, London (2001)
- Saïd Business School, Oxford (2001)
- Villa Jones, France (2005)
- Kings Place, London (2008)
- Exhibition Road Masterplan (2011)
- Edward Jones, "What I'd do if I had the money", The Guardian, Thursday, 13 October 2005.
- "JONES, Edward David Brynmor", Who's Who 2011, A & C Black, 2011; online edn, Oxford University Press, December 2010.
- Architectural Association
- "Master builders: Jeremy Dixon and Edward Jones (1939-)", The Telegraph, 1 February 2003.
- Dixon Jones website
- "Design 301 January 1974". Archived from the original on 16 December 2013. Retrieved 5 January 2011.
- The Times, Tuesday, 4 December 1973; p. 5; Issue 58955.
- Deyan Sudjic, "They struck the jackpot", The Observer, 24 December 2000.
- Building Design, 4 January 2011.
- National Life Stories, 'Jones, Edward (1 of 11) National Life Stories Collection: Architects' Lives', The British Library Board, 2011. Retrieved 10 April 2018
- Fiachra Gibbons, "The Queen shares a joke with Lady Thatcher - National Portrait Gallery", The Guardian, Friday, 5 May 2000.
- Maev Kennedy, "Bridge gets top award", The Guardian, Friday, 14 June 2002.
- Deyan Sudjic, "Said's dreaming spire", The Observer, 9 September 2001.
- The Times, Saturday, 29 June 1985; p. 29; Issue 62177.