Edward Montague Hussey Cooper (August 12, 1906 – May 5, 2000) was an actor descended from an English family but born in Australia. Known by his professional name of Edward Ashley (to avoid confusion with a fellow actor Edward Cooper), Cooper performed in 60 films for Metro Goldwyn Mayer including Pride and Prejudice (1940) where he played George Wickham.
August 12, 1906|
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
May 5, 2000 (aged 93)|
San Diego, California, U.S.
Nina Throsby (1927-c. 1931; divorced, 2 children)|
Nora Swinburne (1934–1938; divorced); 1 child
Renee Osterman Torres (1943–1998)
Edward Montague Hussey Cooper was born on 12 August 1906  in Sydney, Australia, the  son of Edward Montague Hussey Cooper and Violet Coghill Maddrell. His father, Edward (known as Montague) was a Master Mariner and a Lieutenant in the Royal Naval Reserve, who worked as a second officer for the P&O Steam Navigation Company in Australia.
Despite his use of the surname Ashley-Cooper, there was no link to the Earl of Shaftesbury.
Edward Ashley made a number of films in the United Kingdom before moving to California, United States, in 1940 where his first big role was George Wickham in Pride and Prejudice. After this his career consisted of a large number of mainly supporting roles until 1988, including a recurring character in the Maverick television series called "Nobby Ned Wingate" in the late 1950s.
- The Beggar Student (1931)
- Saturday Night Revue (1937)
- Underneath the Arches (1937)
- The Villiers Diamond (1938)
- Pride and Prejudice (1940)
- Spies of the Air (1940)
- Sky Murder (1940)
- The Madonna's Secret (1946)
- Dick Tracy Meets Gruesome (1947)
- Tarzan and the Mermaids (1948)
- Tarzan's Peril (1951)
- Macao (1952)
- El Alamein (1953)
- Elephant Walk (1954)
- The Court Jester (1955)
- Darby's Rangers (1958)
- King Rat (1965)
- Herbie Rides Again (1974)
- Won Ton Ton, the Dog Who Saved Hollywood (1976)
- Waxwork (1988)
Edward Ashley died early 5 May 2000, aged 93, from congestive heart failure and was cremated with the remains scattered at sea, off the coast of San Diego County, California on May 9, 2000. He and his former wife, Nora Swinburne, died within 4 days of each other. Ashley married actress Renee Torres in 1943 in Acapulco, Mexico. The couple returned to Acapulco in 1947 when Ashley was filming "Tarzan And The Mermaids." Torres died in San Diego County, California, where the couple lived, preceding Edward in death in 1998. They lived in Oceanside, California.
- California, County of San Diego, Death Certificate #3 200037 007441; known as Edward A. Cooper at Social Security Death Index site
- Passenger Manifest, SS Mostun, Rotterdam – San Pedro, California, 29 August 1939
- The Adelaide Advertiser, June 30, 1904, page 6, Article: "The Wrecked Australia"
- The Melbourne Argus, 2 February 1927, page 18, Article: "Personal"