Edmond Roche, 1st Baron Fermoy
Edmond Burke Roche, 1st Baron Fermoy (9 August 1815 – 17 September 1874) was an Irish politician in the British parliament and an Irish peer. His direct ancestor was Maurice FitzEdmund Roche, Mayor of Cork, who died in 1593.
Edmond Burke Roche
|Born||9 August 1815|
County Cork, Ireland
|Died||17 September 1874 (aged 59)|
Trabolgan, County Cork, Ireland
|Title||1st Baron Fermoy|
|Known for||2nd Great-grandfather of Diana, Princess of Wales|
|Offices||Lord Lieutenant of County Cork|
Elizabeth Caroline Boothby (m. 1848)
Margaret Honoria Curtain
Edmond Roche was born on 9 August 1815 in County Cork, Ireland, the son of Edward Roche (1771–1855) and his wife Margaret Honoria Curtain (1786–1862). He was named in honour of his distant relative Edmund Burke (1729–1797).
He was elected to the House of Commons for County Cork in 1837, a seat he held until 1855 (Repeal later Whig), and then represented Marylebone between 1859 and 1865 (Liberal). In 1855, he became Steward of the Chiltern Hundreds for the Liberal Party. From 1856 to 1874, he also served as Lord Lieutenant of County Cork.
In 1865, he was raised to the Peerage of Ireland as Baron Fermoy by Queen Victoria. After his death in 1874, he was succeeded in the barony by his eldest son, Edward Roche, 2nd Baron Fermoy (1850–1920). James Burke Roche, 3rd Baron Fermoy (1852–1920), who succeeded his sonless brother in 1920, was also his son.
On 22 August 1848, Edmond Roche married Elizabeth Caroline Boothby (1821–1897), daughter of James Brownell Boothby (1791–1850), of Twyford Abbey, and his wife Charlotte Cunningham (1799–1893). They had three children.
- Edward Roche, 2nd Baron Fermoy (1850–1920).
- James Burke Roche, 3rd Baron Fermoy (1852–1920), who married Frances Ellen Work (1857–1947) in 1880. They divorced in 1891.
- The Hon. Elizabeth Caroline Burke Roche (1857–1940), who married German aristocrat Count Friedrich Maximilian von Hochberg (1868–1921), brother of Count Hans Heinrich XV of Hochberg, Prince of Pless (1861–1938), in 1905.
|Ancestors of Edmond Roche, 1st Baron Fermoy|
- Dod, Robert P. (1862). The Peerage, Baronetage, and Knightage, of Great Britain and Ireland for 1862 (22nd ed.). London: Whittaker and Co. p. 258. Retrieved 21 August 2017.
- Mair, Robert H., ed. (1884). Debrett's Peerage, Baronetage, Knightage, and Companionage (171st ed.). London: Dean & Son, Publishers. pp. 275–76. Retrieved 21 August 2017.
- Burke, Bernard; Burke, Ashworth P. (1914). Genealogical and Heraldic Dictionary of the Peerage and Baronetage of the British Empire (76th ed.). London: Harrison & Sons. p. 772. Retrieved 21 August 2017.
- Fox-Davies, Arthur Charles (1929). Armorial Families: A Directory of Gentlemen of Coat-armour. London: Hurst & Blackett. Retrieved 21 August 2017.
- Bradford, Sarah (3 July 2007). Diana. New York: Penguin Books. ISBN 9780143112464.
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
Garrett Standish Barry
| Member of Parliament for County Cork
With: Garrett Standish Barry 1837–1841
Daniel O'Connell 1841–1847
Maurice Power 1847–1852
Vincent Scully 1852–1855
Sir Benjamin Hall
| Member of Parliament for Marylebone
With: Edwin James 1859–1861
Harvey Lewis 1861–1865
Sir Thomas Chambers
The Earl of Bandon
| Lord Lieutenant of Cork
The Earl of Bandon
|Peerage of Ireland|
|New creation|| Baron Fermoy