Edmodo is an educational technology company offering a communication, collaboration, and coaching platform to K-12 schools and teachers. The Edmodo network enables teachers to share content, distribute quizzes, assignments, and manage communication with students, colleagues, and parents. Edmodo is very teacher-centric in their design and philosophy: students and parents can only join Edmodo if invited to do so by a teacher. Teachers and students spend large amounts of time on the platform, both in and out of the classroom.
|Type of business||Private|
Type of site
|Social learning network, Social learning tools, Networked learning|
|Available in||English, Croatian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Greek, French, Italian, Turkish, Dutch, Chinese, Swedish|
|Founded||September 1, 2008|
|Headquarters||San Mateo, California|
|Alexa rank||1,911 (May 2017[update])|
Edmodo was founded by Nic Borg, Jeff O'Hara, Ed O'Neil and David Youngman in 2008. It is backed by Index Ventures, Benchmark, Greylock Partners, Learn Capital, New Enterprise Associates, Union Square Ventures, Glynn Capital Management, Tenaya Capital, SingTel Innov8, and KDDI. As of July 2017 Edmodo claimed to have over 78M users worldwide. About half of these users were in the USA, with the rest being in 180 countries around the world. Significant concentrations exist in Singapore, Indonesia, Uruguay and Italy. About 10% of these users were teachers, an illustration of how popular Edmodo is in classrooms.
In 2013, Edmodo was included in the list of "The Top Apps for Teachers" by PC Magazine. That same year, Edmodo acquired a startup, Root-1, in an attempt to become the app store for education. Vibhu Mittal, Co-founder and CEO of Root-1, became the CEO of Edmodo the following year.
In 2014, Edmodo launched Snapshot – a suite of assessment tools to measure student progress on educational standards. Edtech digest awarded Edmodo Snapshot the Cool Tool Award for Best Assessment Solution. The company has partnered with two major publishers in United Kingdom, Oxford University Press and Cambridge University Press to provide access to educational content on the Edmodo Platform and bring Edmodo Snapshot to the UK.
In March 2015, Noodle named Edmodo as one of “The 32 Most Innovative Online Educational Tools". In January 2017, Edmodo launched professional development (PD) courses for teachers in the state of New York in conjunction with NYPTI. These included both a synchronous video classroom component as well as an asynchronous, text based discussion component and have been used by thousands of teachers. In June 2017, Frost and Sullivan announced that Edmodo had won the Customer Value Leadership Award.
On May 17, 2017, Edmodo sent an email informing users that it was the victim of a major hack of user information. Some 77 million users' data were breached: this included the username, hashed password and email address (in a subset of the cases, since not all users need an email address to register). Since passwords were both hashed and salted (encrypted) using the bcrypt algorithm the effort to decrypt all the passwords would have been very large. There were no reports of any school data being affected, nor any identities compromised, according to an external audit commissioned by the company.
In June 2017, Edmodo announced Askmo, an educational video search engine, as an illustration of the benefits of machine learning on educational data sets: the search is based on videos that had been shared by teachers in the context of educational discussions and can be filtered by subject and grade level.
- "Edmodo - traffic statistics". Alexa Internet, Inc. Retrieved 20 May 2017.
- "Edmodo, Microblogging Platform for Educators, Merges with Revolution Learning's Fusion Project". PR Newswire. Feb 10, 2010.
- "Edmodo Free Microblogging Site for Educators". Open Education. Sep 20, 2008.
- Wan, Tony (Aug 6, 2014). "Edmodo Raises $30M Round Led by Index Ventures". EdSurge.
- "We have connected 50 million learners!". Twitter. Apr 24, 2015.
- "Back to School: The Top Apps for Teach ldvm jh oPAskojyoers". Fast Company. Aug 21, 2013.
- Empson, Rip (Mar 6, 2013). "Now 18M Users Strong, Edmodo Makes Its First Acquisition In Root-1 To Become The App Market For Education". TechCrunch.
- "Edmodo Acquires Root-1". TechCrunch. Mar 5, 2013.
- Wan, Tony (Dec 22, 2014). "EXCLUSIVE: Edmodo Turns to Its Roots for a New CEO". EdSurge.
- "Bringing innovation to our educational systems". Index Ventures. Jul 14, 2014.
- "2015 – Finalists & Winners". edtech digest. Mar 15, 2015.
- "Oxford University Press and Social Learning Platform Edmodo Partner to Enhance Pupil Learning". Business Wire. Jan 21, 2015.
- "Cambridge UK schools team partner with Edmodo". Cambridge. Jan 20, 2015.
- "The 32 Most Innovative Online Educational Tools to Use in 2015". Noodle. Mar 15, 2015.
- Masters, Greg (2017-05-12). "Millions of identities stolen from education platform Edmodo". SC Media. Retrieved 2017-05-12.
- Cox, Joseph (May 11, 2017). "Hacker Steals Millions of User Account Details from Education Platform Edmodo". Motherboard. Retrieved 2017-05-17.