Aerial view of Edgewater Mall and anchor stores
|Location||Biloxi, Mississippi, United States|
|Address||2600 Beach Boulevard|
|Developer||Holcomb & Milner|
|Owner||Jim Wilson & Associates|
|No. of stores and services||100+|
|No. of anchor tenants||3 (former 4)|
|Total retail floor area||843,652 square feet (78,000 m2)|
|No. of floors||1 (anchors have 2 except for JCPenney)|
The mall was built in 1963 as Edgewater Plaza. Among its first tenants were Godchaux's, Gayfers, and J. J. Newberry. In the early 1970s, the mall was expanded with a new wing ending in Sears. The addition of this wing required the demolition of the Edgewater Gulf Hotel. Sears opened in July 1972. J. J. Newberry closed in 1979 and became JCPenney the same year. McCrory Stores operated a dime store in the mall until 1996.
A year later, the mall underwent a major expansion and renovation program that included the addition of McRae's (now Belk) as an anchor, along with the expansion of the JCPenney and Sears stores. A second story was added to the Sears, while the JCPenney store was expanded into a space previously occupied by a Jitney Jungle supermarket. The Gayfers chain was sold to Dillard's in 1998.
The mall was damaged by Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Sears was the first store to reopen after the hurricane. Dillard's, which suffered the most damage from the hurricane, was rebuilt and did not reopen until 2008.
In June 2017, Sears announced that its store at the mall would close in September 2017, dropping the number of anchors from 4 to 3.
- "Mississippi". CSA Super Markets. Lebhar-Friedman. 37: 42.
- "Lease Plan" (PDF). Jim Wilson & Associates. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2 December 2013. Retrieved 2013-11-25. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Edgewater Mall". Jim Wilson & Associates. Archived from the original on 2 December 2013. Retrieved 2013-11-25. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Edgewater Mall's 50th birthday brings hope for many more". WLOX. 21 September 2013. Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- "EDGEWATER MALL: A TOWN OF ITS OWN". Sun Herald. 24 March 2002. Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- "SEARS TO GROW WITH 2ND FLOOR". Sun Herald. 12 July 1997. Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- "JC PENNEY PLANS EXPANSION AT EDGEWATER MORE SPACE TO MEAN MORE GOODS". Sun Herald. 6 September 1996. Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- "CHESTERFIELD'S TAPS COAST RESTAURANT SET TO OPEN IN EDGEWATER". Sun Herald. 26 February 2000. Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- "EDGEWATER TO UNVEIL NEW LOOK, MERCHANTS MCRAE'S JOINS LINEUP". Sun Herald. 5 August 1997. Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- Monti, Lisa (5 August 1999). "Dillard's Still Lives with Gayfers Name in Biloxi, Miss., Area". Tribune Business News. Archived from the original on 10 June 2014. Retrieved 2013-11-25. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "First Store Re-Opens At Edgewater Mall". WLOX. 28 September 2005. Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- "Dillard's to reopen in mall next year, Extensive damage will take time to fix". Sun Herald. 26 April 2007. Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- Muller, Wesley (June 6, 2017). "Sears is closing its doors at Edgewater Mall". Sun Herald. Retrieved 2017-10-19.