|Died||21 March 1952 (aged 48)|
Hollywood, California, U.S.
|Resting place||Holy Cross Cemetery, Culver City|
|Other names||Edgar Hugh Laughton|
|Spouse(s)||Mary Eaton (?–1948) (her death)|
Modern viewers will remember Laughton for his role as "Percy Pomeroy, convict 41144" in the Stooge comedies So Long Mr. Chumps and Beer Barrel Polecats, or as the happy drunk in Loco Boy Makes Good. Laughton was an excellent utility player, useful in good-guy and bad-guy roles alike. (He and Columbia actor John Tyrrell shared many scenes.) Laughton was also a convincing dialect comedian, playing a French nobleman in Buster Keaton's She's Oil Mine, and an English big-game hunter plastered with pies in the Stooges' In the Sweet Pie and Pie.
In addition to his roles in the Stooge shorts, Laughton joined the team during their personal appearances between filming schedules, acting as their straight man.
Laughton died of pneumonia on 21 March 1952.
- Three Little Beers (1935)
- Disorder in the Court (1936) - Man Sitting by Letterpress (uncredited)
- A Pain in the Pullman (1936)
- Slippery Silks (1936)
- 3 Dumb Clucks (1937)
- Goofs and Saddles (1937)
- It Happened in Hollywood (1937)
- Cash and Carry (1937)
- No Time to Marry (1938)
- We Want Our Mummy (1939) - Cab Driver (uncredited)
- Pest from the West (1939)
- Oily to Bed, Oily to Rise (1939)
- Three Sappy People (1939)
- Girls of the Road (1940)
- You Nazty Spy! (1940)
- A Plumbing We Will Go (1940)
- Boobs in Arms (1940)
- So Long Mr. Chumps (1941)
- Dutiful But Dumb (1941)
- Meet Boston Blackie (1941)
- In the Sweet Pie and Pie (1941)
- Across the Sierras (1941)
- Tillie the Toiler (1941)
- Outlaws of the Panhandle (1941)
- The Boogie Man Will Get You (1942)
- Loco Boy Makes Good (1942)
- Cactus Makes Perfect (1942)
- What's the Matador? (1942)
- Atlantic Convoy (1942)
- Alias Boston Blackie (1942)
- Three Smart Saps (1942)
- Daring Young Man (1942)
- Busy Buddies (1944)
- Idle Roomers (1944)
- Idiots Deluxe (1945) - Courtroom spectator (uncredited)
- Beer Barrel Polecats (1946)
- The Perils of Pauline (1947)
- Chicken Every Sunday (1949)
- Cox, Steve; Terry, Jim (2006). One Fine Stooge: A Frizzy Life in Pictures. Cumberland House Publishing. ISBN 1-58182-363-0.
- Okuda, Ted; Watz, Edward (1986). The Columbia Comedy Shorts. McFarland & Company, Inc., Publishers. p. 222. ISBN 0-89950-181-8.