George Edward "Ed" Logg (born 1948 in Seattle) is a retired American arcade video game designer, first employed at Atari, Inc. and later at Atari Games. He currently resides in Los Altos, California.
Ed Logg at California Extreme 2015
George Edward Logg
1948 (age 70–71)
|Occupation||Retired video game designer|
|Known for||co-creating Asteroids, Centipede, Gauntlet|
Logg was impressed with the Atari 2600 (then known as "Atari Video Computer System") and joined Atari's coin-op division and worked on Dirt Bike, which was never released due to an unsuccessful field test. He developed Super Breakout after hearing that Nolan Bushnell, co-founder of Atari, wanted Breakout updated. He co-developed the video game Asteroids with Lyle Rains. Other games designed or co-designed by Logg include Centipede, Millipede, the Gauntlet series (with inspiration from John Palevich's Dandy), Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey and the home versions of the San Francisco Rush series.
In 2012, Logg was awarded a Pioneer Award by the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences for being among those who "laid the foundations of the multi-billion dollar videogame industry." Logg was listed at number 43 in IGN's top 100 game creators of all time.
- Kohler, Chris (17 November 2011). "Asteroids Designer Ed Logg Honored With Pioneer Award". Wired.
- Kent, Steve L. (2001). The ultimate history of video games: from Pong to Pokémon and beyond : the story behind the craze that touched our lives and changed the world. Random House Digital, Inc. pp. 184–. ISBN 978-0-7615-3643-7. Retrieved 19 August 2011.
- Herman, Leonard (October 1997). Phoenix: The Fall & Rise of Videogames. Rolenta Press. p. 139. ISBN 978-0-9643848-2-8. Retrieved 19 August 2011.
- Honkala, Tuomas (August 2012). "Legendaariset pelit: Gauntlet". Pelit (in Finnish). Sanoma (8/2012): 52.
- Swink, Steve (2008-10-13). Game Feel: A Game Designer's Guide to Virtual Sensation. Morgan Kaufmann. pp. 188–. ISBN 978-0-12-374328-2. Retrieved 19 August 2011.
- Rouse, Richard; Ogden, Steve (2005). Game design: theory & practice. Jones & Bartlett Learning. pp. 87–. ISBN 978-1-55622-912-1. Retrieved 19 August 2011.
- Saltzman, Mark (April 15, 1999). "The emulation craze". Toronto Star. p. 1. Retrieved 19 August 2011.
- Cifaldi, Frank (2011-11-17). "Asteroids, Gauntlet designer Ed Logg honored with Pioneer Award". Gamasutra.
- "Top 100 Game Creators of All Time - 43. Ed Logg". IGN. 2009-03-05. Archived from the original on 2014-01-01.