EHC Black Wings Linz
|EHC Liwest Black Wings Linz|
|League||Austrian National League|
Erste Bank Eishockey Liga
|Home arena||Keine Sorgen Eisarena Linz|
|Colors||Black, cerulean, orange|
|Owner(s)||Ing Peter Freunschlag|
|General manager||Christian Perthaler|
|Head coach||Troy Ward|
|Website||EHC Black Wings Linz|
|1992–2005||EHC Black Wings Linz|
|2005–present||EHC Liwest Black Wings Linz|
|Austrian Champions||2 (2003, 2012)|
EHC Black Wings Linz was founded in 1992. After several years in the Austrian minor leagues 2000 the Black Wings started in the highest league Erste Bank Eishockey Liga. In their inaugural season in 2000–01 the Black Wings reached third place in the regular season before suffering elimination in the playoffs. The season 2001–02 they just lost the finals and finished the season as vice champion. In only their third season, in 2002–03, the Black Wings won the Austrian championship, their first.
After the EHC Black Wings Linz went bankrupt in 2005 they were re-established as EHC LIWEST Black Wings Linz through sponse LIWEST. Since under the new ownership the Black Wings have had their best result to date in the championship in season 2006–07 as they became vice champion once more. One year later the Black Wings unexpectedly won the regular season but failed in the playoffs.
- Erste Bank Eishockey Liga:
- Winners (2) : 2003, 2012
Players and personnelEdit
Updated 29 July 2019.
Franchise records and leadersEdit
- Goals: 38 Brian Lebler (2017–18)
- Assists: 47 Corey Locke (2017–18)
- Points: 72 Rob Shearer (2006–07)
- Penalty Minutes: 151 Reid Simonton (2003–04)
The home arena of the Black Wings is the Keine Sorgen Eisarena Linz. It was built in 1986 and was renovated at least two times since that. In 2014 a new stand has been added, increasing its capacity to 4,863 people.
Average of attendancesEdit
- 2003–04: 3,712 visitors per home game
- 2004–05: 3,068 visitors per home game
- 2005–06: 3,125 visitors per home game
- 2006–07: 2,707 visitors per home game
- 2007–08: 2,615 visitors per home game
- 2008–09: 2,584 visitors per home game
- 2009–10: 2,676 visitors per home game
- 2015–16: 4,642 visitors per home game
- 2016–17: 4,679 visitors per home game
- 2017–18: 4,709 visitors per home game
The Black Wings have three official fanclubs: Overtime, Powerplay Enns and bully:absolut. In 2007 they consolidated and founded the head club Wings United what makes it easier to organize trips to away games and several events.