This article relies largely or entirely on a single source. (June 2011)
|First appearance||All-New Atom #2 (October, 2006)|
|Created by||Gail Simone|
|Alter ego||Sylbert Rundine|
|Team affiliations||Secret Six|
|Abilities||Ability to shrink his body to varying degrees (including the subatomic level) while manipulating his weight to his advantage. Expert with a Hunting Knife|
Fictional character biographyEdit
Sylbert Rundine is a rapist and serial killer who preys on the dormitories of Ivy University. In his first appearance, he acquires a Bio-Belt similar to the one worn by college professor Ryan Choi and becomes the super-villain Dwarfstar. By the time of his last appearance, he was revealed to be the "first son" of Lady Chronos.
He aged due to a forced stay in a time-accelerated micro-universe, leaving him even more mentally unhinged than before. He vanished along with Chronos and Lady Chronos. A master assassin as well as the shrinking nemesis of Atom, Dwarfstar is a constant thorn in Ryan's side during his tenure as Atom. The two men were actually connected in ways they were unaware of. A woman from Ryan's past was the reason that both men gained their shrinking belts, though Ryan was deceived to believe it was from Ray Palmer himself. The woman, Jia, who was a former flame of Ryan's, would later turn to a life of crime and become the time warping villain Lady Chronos. She refers to Dwarfstar as her "firstborn," probably referring to her connection to his acquisition of his power belt and not his actual birth.
Dwarfstar hired Deathstroke and his group of mercenaries, who called themselves Titans, to kill his nemesis Ryan Choi, a physics professor and costumed hero known as the Atom. Deathstroke along with Cheshire, the Tattooed Man, Cinder, and the recently resurrected Osiris carried out the sadistic mission. After a horrendous confrontation at Ryan's home he was beaten and stabbed. Dwarfstar meets Deathstroke the morning after the mission at Patriot Park so he could receive his trophy. After he confirmed the money was transferred he was given a matchbox that contained Ryan Choi's dead body.
Shortly after hiring Deathstroke's team to kill Ryan Choi, Dwarfstar joined Bane's gang, the Secret Six — a team that includes Choi's girlfriend Giganta. During a mission where Spy Smasher sent the team to Skartaris, Dwarfstar makes a comment about the Atom, which leads Giganta to tell him she's the Atom's girlfriend. Dwarfstar snidely remarks "Really? How funny. Small world, huh?"
After Bane's Secret Six comes into a stalemate with Amanda Waller's team, the two groups head back to Belle Reve to meet with Waller, who wants the Six to work for her. When the team leaves, Waller's agent Tremor brings up Dwarfstar's history of being a serial killer and rapist. Waller knows this, but simply says "I don't think it's going to work out for him on this team, do you?"
A short time later, Giganta invites Dwarfstar to her hotel room, where she attempts to seduce him. She begins to undress and kiss him, saying she has a fetish for small men, and that her boyfriend has the same ability. She asks if Dwarfstar knows him, then punches him yelling "His name was Ryan, you sick son of a bitch!" Revealing that Waller told her about Choi's death, Giganta, with Dwarfstar's belt, proceeds to beat him to a bloody mess. With Dwarfstar begging for his life, Giganta duct tapes his mouth shut as she continues to nearly beat him to death.
During this same period, Ray Palmer begins an investigation into the disappearance of Ryan, who had been murdered by Deathstroke. Atom comforts Ryan's former girlfriend Amanda, and muses Ryan may be hiding out like he did after the events of Identity Crisis. While investigating to his micro size, Ray discovers microbiological blood. He arrives at the Hall of Justice to tell the League members that Ryan is missing. The League helps Ray's investigation into Ryan's whereabouts. He discovers Ryan's DNA cell is not a match for the blood that was found. The DNA cell belongs to someone else.
Later, Ray discovers evidence that Dwarfstar had a hand in Ryan's death, and vows to find him and make him pay. Ray eventually finds Dwarfstar in a hospital, where he is recovering from the severe injuries he sustained from his torture at the hands of Giganta. Believing it may lead to a lighter sentence, Dwarfstar confesses to hiring Deathstroke to kill Ryan. Armed with this knowledge, Ray leaves to inform the Justice League, but not before informing Dwarfstar that Deathstroke would kill him for his betrayal.
Powers and abilitiesEdit
Dwarfstar possesses the power to alter his size down to the subatomic level while retaining his natural strength level. This is accomplished by using the remnants of a white-dwarf star made into a belt, called the Bio-belt worn with his costume. Dwarfstar is the only villain in the DC Universe that has 100% control over his body on the molecular level, thus making him exponentially more powerful than he is often portrayed; he is only limited by his application of his powers.
Dwarfstar is also keenly skilled with the use of his Hunting Knife that he uses to torture and kill his victims.
In other mediaEdit
- Dwarfstar makes a cameo appearance in the Batman: Brave and the Bold episode "Sword of the Atom!". He is seen fighting the Atom (Choi), brandishing his trademark knife.
- Dwarfstar appears in The Flash episode "Honey, I Shrunk Team Flash," portrayed by Derek Mears. In this version, Sylbert Rundine is portrayed as a thief who uses his power to miniaturize and steal valuable items after gaining that ability from the dark matter that emerged from the speed force. He was also the one who framed David "Big Sir" Ratchet for the murder of a Mercury Labs security guard. When he fought with Team Flash at the time when Barry Allen was incarcerated at Iron Heights Penitentiary, Dwarfstar shrunk Elongated Man and Vibe. Thanks to a trick by Harrison Wells, Elongated Man and Vibe were restored to normal and Dwarfstar was struck with an inhibitor collar by Iris West. Barry later got a call from Joe West stating that every deal that he and District Attorney Anton Slater offered Dwarfstar failed to get him to confess about him being the real culprit behind the Mercury Labs security guard's death. In the episode "True Colors," Dwarfstar is among the metahuman inmates at Iron Heights Penitentiary that Warden Wolfe planned to sell to Blacksmith. When Warden Wolfe outs Barry's true identity to Blacksmith, Dwarfstar, Hazard, Kilg%re, and Black Bison, they prepare to attack only for Thinker to arrive and absorb the powers of the four metahumans.
- Titans (vol. 2) #28 (October 2010)
- Titans (vol. 2) #29 (November 2010)
- Titans (vol. 2) #30 (December 2010)
- Titans (vol. 2) #31 (January 2011)
- Titans (vol. 2) #32 (February 2011)
- Titans (vol. 2) #33 (March 2011)
- "'The Flash' Spoilers: Cisco, Ralph Get Shrunk In Season 4, Episode 12". International Business Times. 2018-01-28. Retrieved 2018-06-14.