Duncan U. Fletcher High School
|Duncan U. Fletcher High School|
|Motto||The Pride of the Beaches|
|Number of students||2,162 (2015-16)|
|Schedule||7:15 A.M.-2:00 P.M.|
|Color(s)||Purple and white|
Former Jacksonville Mayor and U.S. Senator Duncan U. Fletcher obtained a federal grant to build the school which bears his name. It opened September 20, 1937 for grades 7-12. The school's nickname, Senators, also comes from their namesake. The original building was located in Jacksonville Beach and contained 10 classrooms and began with 269 students from the area east of the ditch (Intracoastal Waterway), south of Mayport and north of Ponte Vedra Beach. The principal was Frank Doggett and there were 13 teachers.
In 1964, the school was split into two schools, with Fletcher Junior High grades 7-8 staying in the original building and Fletcher Senior High grades 9-12 moving to its current location on Seagate Avenue in Neptune Beach, Florida. The Fall 1969 freshman class was the last 9th Grade class to attend the Senior High for over 20 years, as, beginning in Fall 1970, Fletcher Junior High retained the 9th Grade class along with grades 7-8. Fletcher was one of the first schools in Duval County to be integrated, doing so after the new building opened.
In 1991, the 9th grade was moved back from Junior High Schools to Senior High Schools, county-wide. Sixth grade was moved from Elementary Schools to Junior High Schools, which were renamed "Middle Schools". In 1997, Fletcher became a full service school, introducing a Beaches Resource Center on campus.
In 2007, Fletcher tied with Lee High School as the most crowded in Duval County. The high school obtained a new science lab in 2008, a critical addition after a 2007 protest by parents about the high school's inadequate science facilities for its 2600 students. Later in 2008, a new master plan for the school proposed the construction of a new wing to replace the school's portable classrooms.
As of 2016, the school has a "B" on the Florida School Accountability Grading Scale. Fletcher High School offers the Advanced International Certificate of Education (AICE) program along with Advanced Placement.
The Duncan U Fletcher Band program is highly esteemed in Northeast Florida and Duval County. The Flecther High school Wind Symphony has performed at New York's Carnegie Hall in 2015. The Fletcher High School Marching Band also placed 4th in Class AAA at the FMBC State Finals competition on November 12, 2016. The marching band is known for its skill at visual arts. Alongside this marching band is an award-winning colorguard/winterguard.The Fletcher High School Colorguard / Winterguard is a Regional Class AA / AAA state competitive team. The team placed 10th overall with a score of 70.56 in the FFCC (Florida Federation of Colorguard Circuit) Championships performing their show Scattered Pictures in 2015. In 2016 the winterguard competed in Class AAA and placed 2nd awarding them the silver medal and promotion to AA also in 2017 Fletcher winterguard Competed in Class AA which they also placed 2nd awarding them the silver medal and promotion to Scholastic A.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (September 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Ephesians Bartley, NFL football Player
- Jason Bartley, actor, NFL football Player
- Carey Cavanaugh, 1973, professor and former American ambassador.
- Charles T. Meide, 1989, maritime archaeologist and Director of LAMP
- Andre Cooper, 1992, former Florida State University and NFL player.
- Cold, Rock band
- Ciatrick Fason, 2002, former University of Florida running back, 2004 First Team All-SEC. Former NFL and CFL player.
- Noah Jackson, NFL player—
- Michael D. Reynolds, 1972, State of Florida Teacher of the Year, 1986.
- Tom Sullivan, NFL Football Player
- Eric Summers, Founded Dr. Seltzer's Hangover Helper
- Whitney Thompson, winner of Cycle 10 of America's Next Top Model.
- Sean Mattison c/o 1987, Professional Surfer, 5 Time East Coast Champion.
- David Sharpe, NFL offensive tackle for the Oakland Raiders.
- Khalid Abdullah, former NFL linebacker
- Rahim Abdullah former NFL linebacker for the Clevland Browns and Canadian Football League
- "DUNCAN U FLETCHER HIGH SCHOOL". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved November 29, 2018.
- Florida Times-Union: Apr 7, 2007-Fletcher High School grads reach way back for a cause
- "Full service schools catch on; Fletcher joining in". The Florida Times-Union. Retrieved 2008-08-23.
- "Officials presenting Fletcher master plan". The Florida Times-Union. Retrieved 2008-08-23.
- "There's a chemical reaction at Fletcher". The Florida Times-Union. Retrieved 2008-08-23.
- "This year, it's science that's in". The Florida Times-Union. Retrieved 2008-08-23.
- "School Accountability Report". Florida Department of Education. July 1, 2016. Archived from the original on 2017-02-09. Retrieved 2015-11-17.
- "Academic Programs". Duncan U. Fletcher High School. Duval County Public Schools. Retrieved 14 May 2017.