This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Duncan Patterson playing with Alternative 4 in 2011.
|Born||5 June 1975|
|Genres||Alternative rock, electronica, trip hop, doom metal, soundtrack, folk|
|Instruments||Bass, guitars, keyboards, mandolin, Celtic harp|
Patterson was a driving force behind Anathema's success during their earlier years, being the principle songwriter on the Eternity and Alternative 4 albums. These songs were Anathema's shift towards a softer, deeper style.. He quit Anathema in 1998 and formed a new project called Antimatter. After releasing four albums with Antimatter, spanning several genres (ambient, electronica, acoustic), he started another full-time project called Íon, a mix of acoustic and traditional music. In between recording and touring his own projects, he has enjoyed chart success with the Irish alternative rock band The Aftermath, playing on three Top 20 singles, as well as appearing on their debut album, Friendlier Up Here alongside The Waterboys' Steve Wickham. Patterson also wrote and performed the music on the German rapper Bushido's single, "Von der Skyline zum Bordstein zurück", which charted at #14 in Germany. He is also the founder of Strangelight Records, a small independent record label.
Patterson's music was used in Hisham Zreiq's films, music that was composed for Íon was used in the award-winning film The sons of Eilaboun, and music that was composed for Antimatter was used in the film, Just Another Day. In December 2011 he recorded another full-length album, with a new project titled Alternative 4 titled 'The Brink' released by Avantgarde Music.
He released his first full length solo album The Eternity Suite in 2015 before taking a break from music. During this time he has committed to the straight edge way of life and has returned to writing music.
- Alternative 4 - The Brink (Avantgarde 2011)
- Alternative 4 - The Brink re-release CD/DVD (Prophecy 2012)
- Alternative 4 - The Obscurants (Prophecy 2014)
- Anathema - They Die/Crestfallen 7" (Witchhunt, 1991)
- V/A - Volume 4 (Peaceville, 1992)
- Anathema - The Crestfallen (Peaceville, 1992)
- Anathema - Serenades (Peaceville, 1993)
- Anathema - We Are The Bible 7" (Peaceville, 1994)
- V/A - In The Name Of Satan (Gun/Drakkar, 1994)
- Anathema - Pentecost III (Peaceville, 1995)
- Anathema - The Silent Enigma (Peaceville/MFN, 1995)
- Anathema - Eternity (Peaceville/MFN, 1996)
- V/A - Under The Sign Of The Sacred Star (Peaceville, 1996)
- V/A - Slatanic Slaughter II (Black Sun, 1996)
- Anathema - A Vision Of A Dying Embrace VHS (Peaceville/MFN, 1997)
- V/A - X (Peaceville, 1997)
- Anathema - Alternative Future EP (Peaceville/MFN, 1998)
- Anathema - Alternative 4 (Peaceville/MFN, 1998)
- Anathema - Resonance (Peaceville, 2001)
- Anathema - Resonance 2 (Peaceville, 2002)
- Anathema - A Vision Of A Dying Embrace DVD (Peaceville, 2002)
- Anathema - Hindsight (KScope, 2008)
- Antimatter - Saviour (Prophecy/The End, 2002)
- Antimatter - Live@K13 (Strangelight, 2003)
- Antimatter - Lights Out (Strangelight/Prophecy/The End, 2003)
- Antimatter - Unreleased 1998-2003 (Internet release, 2003)
- V/A - The Lotus Eaters (Black Lotus, 2004)
- Antimatter - Planetary Confinement (Prophecy/The End, 2005)
- Antimatter - Alternative Matter boxset (Prophecy, 2010)
- Íon - Madre, Protégenos (Equilibrium, 2006)
- Íon - Immaculada (Equilibrium, 2010/Restricted Release 2011)
- Duncan Patterson - The Eternity Suite (Strangelight Records 2015)
- Gashead 2000 - demos (1991)
- The Illuminoids - unreleased tracks (1995)
- Deathcap - Ibiza Love Missile single (2005)
- W.E.B - Don't Wake Futility (Sleazy Rider, 2005)
- Breaklose - Always Late Enough (Strangelight, 2006)
- The Aftermath - One Is Fun single (LiveTransmission, 2006)
- The Aftermath - Hollywood Remake single (LiveTransmission, 2006)
- Bull Doza - Celebration (2006)
- Bushido - Von der Skyline zum Bordstein zurück (ersguterjunge/Sony BMG, 2006)
- The Aftermath - All I Want Is for You to Be Happy (LiveTransmission, 2007)
- The Aftermath - Friendlier Up Here (LiveTransmission, 2008)
- The Eternal - Kartika (Firebox, 2009)
- V/A - Enemies (Indiestate 2009)
- Phase - In Consequence (BackStage / InsightOut, 2010)
- Corde Oblique - A Hail Of Bitter Almonds (2011)
- Pete Courtney - White Roses (2012)
- Shane MacGowan, The Aftermath & Friends - The Rockier Road To Poland (LiveTransmission, 2012)
- "(أبناء عيلبون)". The Sons of Eilaboun. 1948-10-30. Retrieved 2013-03-19.
- "Just Another Day a Hisham Zreiq Film". Hishamzreiq.com. Retrieved 2013-03-19.
-  Archived November 15, 2010, at the Wayback Machine
- "Paddy Rolling Stone: The Official Shane MacGowan Website". Shanemacgowan.com. Retrieved 2013-03-19.
- "Grace Road - Entrevista a Duncan Patterson 2020". Notas de un Fan. Retrieved 2020-05-16.